Off duty Officer

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

james123

RMS Regular
Well criminals have also changed their methods and are a lot more sophisticated nowadays than they used to be. Cops have to change with the times, just a fact of life.

How would they trace cars used by criminals everywhere? More roadblocks? Then we'd be faced with yet more checkpoints and queues and people would be whinging about that instead.

Gaz

What roadblocks and checkpoints? There hardly any these days, and when there where loads of them about normal crime was alot lower than it is now!!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I've been through a number of checkpoints lately, there's nowhere near as many as at the height of the troubles but I wouldn't say there's 'hardly any' nowadays ^o)

Anyway thats irrelevant to my point, I was just saying that people will always find something to whinge about - if the police couldn't enforce number plate detection, they would be forced to increase checkpoints and stops to compensate for it and people would then find that an inconvenience.

Gaz

Cess

RMS Staff
The thing is - if I was a criminal, there is no way I'd make my car distinctive my adding a personalised plate in different font. You'd want something nondescript that blended into the back ground. Not a car that stands out.

Thats why I don't buy the whole rationale for clamping down on "illegal" plates.

pablo

RMS Moderator
out of interest how do they read motorbike plates? They are allowed to be smaller than car plates arent they?

I guess its the same approach, if you want them to be 2" tall make the limit 3" tall.

dubburke

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Arosa tdi
As far as i am aware the "D" font is not illegal, as it is still classed as a European plate, it can be "S" "F" "D" "GB" "SCO" etc as long as the plates are the correct size, spacing and reflective etc

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
out of interest how do they read motorbike plates? They are allowed to be smaller than car plates arent they?

I guess its the same approach, if you want them to be 2" tall make the limit 3" tall.

motorbikes are immune, *******s, hence why my mate can shoot past me when going under spec's camera's at over 100mph!

Oh and I don't think the spec's coming into newry work.... nudge, nudge... ;).. ;)...

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I've been through a number of checkpoints lately, there's nowhere near as many as at the height of the troubles but I wouldn't say there's 'hardly any' nowadays ^o)

Anyway thats irrelevant to my point, I was just saying that people will always find something to whinge about - if the police couldn't enforce number plate detection, they would be forced to increase checkpoints and stops to compensate for it and people would then find that an inconvenience.

Gaz

But would they not catch more drivers who;

• Dont pay insurance
  • Dont pay tax
  • Are drunk
  • Are on drugs
  • Stole the car
  • Are in a car not fit for the road?
No computer available to the peelers is capable of acting as efficiently as the human brain.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
But would they not catch more drivers who;
  • Dont pay insurance
  • Dont pay tax
  • Are drunk
  • Are on drugs
  • Stole the car
  • Are in a car not fit for the road?
No computer available to the peelers is capable of acting as efficiently as the human brain.

I totally agree, I would actually prefer to see more checkpoints etc, rather than using digital systems for monitoring number plates. But again, my point is that the general public will just complain about this (even though you and I may understand the reasons) - people want criminals caught, but don't want the systems used to do this to be inconvenient to themselves, so its a no-win situation for the Police.

Gaz

rybo

RMS Regular
I'll take all your suggestions into account when I'm planning future operations!

casper-ac

RMS Regular
I think check points are fine.
A far better way of detection too...
Thing is why not set VCPs outside the likes of the elk, walshs in maghera, kellys and other places, where i KNOW there are drivers coming out over the limit and/or on drugs...

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
Or all they would have to do is hire a taxi from a couple of taxi firms from the east and hey presto...wiped out driver

LOL - was in a pizza place in the Hack the other day, and a limo driver was asking for coke off the fella making the pizza, he said he couldnt get any, then the fella said, god its gonna be a long night!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Ch3, Police, Camera, Action. Talking about modifications that turn cars into "killers" and also about illegal number plates.

Top 5 illegal mods:

5. Noisy exhausts and their emissions
4. Illegal font number plates
3. Changing headlights/tail lights to non OEM ones
2. Gay undercar neons
1. Window tints

Presenter seems a bit confused as to what a performance car is tho, I wouldnt call a beat up 5 door 323 E36 a "performance vehicle".

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.