Off duty Officer

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
Just to clarify, Im not annoyed at the law, what Im doing is a very terrible crime, Im more annoyed at his attitude.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
It sounds like he got annoyed with your attitude so started to find things he could do you for. Attitude plays a big part in getting let off with minor crimes.

Years ago a copper followed me home, come up the driveway, asked if I lived at the house and then started to look over the bike. Things went downhill after my ma come out to stick her nose in and explain that I had recently passed my test, acted like an eejit on the motorbike and deserved to get everything he was about to give me !!

After a bit of chat to explain how the home-made r-plates must have come off the the bike due to not being fitted properly:grinning: , he went on his way with a promise from me to get new plates on the bike.

scub

Banned
any cop that would do you for throwing a cig butt out is simply a t**t.
the police have a hard job to do , but this sort of crap does their reputation no good and is just sad!
and any liberal do-gooder (who obviously never ever littered in any way at all in their entire life on this planet ) that spouts about him only doing his job joins him in my book!

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
Oh Im a big one for attitude and he had been in uniform, either on a police bike or in a car, I would have been nice as pie. But he wasnt, and he followed me into the work carpark, so I couldnt give two f*cks.

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
I actually text a family member to see if they knew the guy that pulled me over. I was offered 2 pieces of advise.

1. Tell them Ive been spoken to and Ill have them changed by the weekend if not before

or

2. Tell them to F*ck off and not be such arse licking try hards.

:p They recommended number one more though.

brendy

RMS Regular
For the record, an off duty officer can do bugger all about it, only an irate one will report you when hes back into the office, like what seems to have happened.

rybo

RMS Regular
Oh Im a big one for attitude and he had been in uniform, either on a police bike or in a car, I would have been nice as pie. But he wasnt, and he followed me into the work carpark, so I couldnt give two f*cks.

If you couldn't care less, didn't really listen to him & gave him that attitude - do you really expect him to just say 'OK sir' and walk away?

Police officers do have discretion how they deal with minor offences. People who accept they have done wrong & give an undertaking to put things right & are polite about it & would genuinely benefit from a warning are much more likely to get one rather than being prosecuted or ticketed.
Those who give off the 'I couldn't give 2 ....' generally end up paying a lot more.

By the way, as you just toss your butts out the window - who do you think picks them up? I suppose you couldn't care less about that either. You don't want your stinking cig butts in your car. What about the people in the community who don't particularly want your stinking butts lying round the roads in their area?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No evidence apart from what he saw. I suppose he could DNA test all the cigarette butts from around the area.

Lol ^^.

A couple of amusing quotes in here!

Was he doing work in your building? It does seem a bit Captain Planet of him to follow you the whole way just for those reasons. If i saw a contractor at the side of the road not laying pipes with at least 650mm cover, i wouldnt pull over and tell them their methods dont comply with the Northern Ireland Water requirements.

However, i do agree with rybo that a butt is still littering. If everyone threw them out the window the place would soon be fairly unpleasant (or more so, one could argue). Dont like an oul butt in your car, dont smoke until you get to where you're going :p:innocent: .

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Yet more evidence of police pillock's. I remember a few years back a car cut me off badly, so I untertook and gave him a load of abuse on the way past. Cop turned up at my door later, didnt recognise him at the time but it was the same prat who cut me up. Castlereagh peeler on his way to work, they are the worst alongside Ballynahinch. Typical young jumped up pr1ck, denied that he had cut me up and was gonna do me for undertaking + dangerous driving etc etc. Got it sorted by the sergent though. Im gonna end up in jail for assaulting one of these wee know-it-all's sometime.

therock

RMS Regular
Yeah, once attested to the police he has his 'power' all the time from then on.

Would you act the same way if it was an ununiformed C.I.D officer, for example?

scub

Banned
If you couldn't care less, didn't really listen to him & gave him that attitude - do you really expect him to just say 'OK sir' and walk away?

Police officers do have discretion how they deal with minor offences. People who accept they have done wrong & give an undertaking to put things right & are polite about it & would genuinely benefit from a warning are much more likely to get one rather than being prosecuted or ticketed.
Those who give off the 'I couldn't give 2 ....' generally end up paying a lot more.

By the way, as you just toss your butts out the window - who do you think picks them up? I suppose you couldn't care less about that either. You don't want your stinking cig butts in your car. What about the people in the community who don't particularly want your stinking butts lying round the roads in their area?

come on mate , you gotta agree that this guy was taking the piss , there's the law and there's intelligent disgression .
i've got mates in the psni and none of them would be bothered with this!!
i agree about the way somebody behaves towards the cops too , a load of years ago i got a bye ball for what could have been quite a serious offence ,for passing what the cop called 'the attitude test' , so no-one's suggesting all cops are numpties.
and for all you that think dropping a fag butt outside is littering and should not be tolerated -
any of you chew gum? and what do you do with it when your outside and finished with it - you chuck it on the deck to make a mess of the pavement and the poor sod's shoe who happens to walk on it.
but your not exactly screaming for more arrests for wrigleys abuse!!!:laughing:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
On the litter aspect...some people have little respect for their surroundings. And Rocko of all people should know better about litter......

What was one of the main reasons the top car park used to get closed down in Bangor ??

W*nkers throwing litter out everywhere !!!!

And on the police side of things.....I wonder did anyone throwing litter out in the car parks ever get a fine ?
Probably not. Why is that ? Its not as if there was a lack of people doing it.

rybo

RMS Regular
Police can't prosecute for littering unless it is substantial enough to cause danger to road users, cause obstruction or is part of an insecure load. The usual sort of stuff would be reported to the local council who can & do issue fines & prosecute.

Personally I wouldn't get involved in minor things happening around me when I'm off duty because I think I'm entitled to my time off & use it doing more rewarding things. (Although I did once arrest a thief trying to escape security staff at a major DIY store with his booty! - when all I wanted was a tin of paint. He fought a bit too but was a sorry lad when it came to court.) I've also followed up several other more major incidents I've witnessed off duty. (Drunk drivers, vehicles wanted for involvement in serious crime etc.)

So be wary, you never know who is in the car/bike/lorry behind or beside you. Or walking down the street. They may not follow you or stop with you at the time but could be knocking your door before too long if you've done something to deserve it.

smokey 1

RMS Regular
Yet more evidence of police pillock's. I remember a few years back a car cut me off badly, so I untertook and gave him a load of abuse on the way past. Cop turned up at my door later, didnt recognise him at the time but it was the same prat who cut me up. Castlereagh peeler on his way to work, they are the worst alongside Ballynahinch. Typical young jumped up pr1ck, denied that he had cut me up and was gonna do me for undertaking + dangerous driving etc etc. Got it sorted by the sergent though. Im gonna end up in jail for assaulting one of these wee know-it-all's sometime.

Yawn^o)

another rant of how you broke the law, but it was the cops fault and next time you're going to do this to them or that to them.

What's wrong, did you fail to get into the police or something because all you ever do is complain and jump on the old band wagon on every thread associated with a cop.

Stop tarnishing every cop with the same brush because of the few petty peelers out there. Let's see how you get on next time you or your family actually need their help.

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
Jesus stevie, it wasnt a pizza box, it was a 3/4 inch piece of paper. Respect for my surroundings is one thing, but it is a dual carriageway. Its not like people are having to walk through it!

Im normally very polite to the police, as I have family in the force, but this guy didnt show me warrant card which Im told he has to (then again I didnt ask for it), didnt have any police markings on him or his bike and didnt even remove his helmet to speak to me.

He showed me no respect and therefore he got none back. I know of more than a few police officers that do exactly the same thing when smoking.

I took a quick look down the side of the carriageway when I was on my way home from work as the traffic was bad. Literally thousands of butts lying at the side of the road. Do you think that people actually pick them up? At the side of a dual carriageway? If they do, they are not doing a very good job.

Andy M

RMS Regular
They get picked up by the road sweeping van thing, not some poor sod with his bare hands. I'll stop throwing my butts out the window when China & America stop burning a big hole in the sky.

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
And who pays for the big road sweeper thing? ME!! Smoking my 20 a day knocking £3.50 a day to the tax man.

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
They are of exact size.

Theres no space between the R90 and the CKO. And theyre german pressed plates.

rybo

RMS Regular
Right - here's the story why we're clamping down on illegal number plates:

Vehicles involved in crime - especially 'travelling criminals' you know the ones who ,for example, target vulnerable elderly people, bogus callers, sex offenders etc etc are all using the road network to operate in areas where they're not known to local police. They're not generally changing their cars every week. ANPR units are fitted to many police cars (and several other enforcement agencies). These read number plates - but the software is designed around the legal standard size and font. Its hard enough for it to do on a moving vehicle but when folk start tinkering around with fancy fonts, smaller lettering etc it can't be read. You may not know the extent nor potential of these devices but be assured there are a surprising amount of criminals serving time right now as a result. The bottom line is if we allow everyone to stick on whatever takes their fancy then we'd be losing an effective crime fighting tool. That is not 'petty'.
Do your research on ANPR & you might understand why we're taking it so seriously.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Well criminals have also changed their methods and are a lot more sophisticated nowadays than they used to be. Cops have to change with the times, just a fact of life.

How would they trace cars used by criminals everywhere? More roadblocks? Then we'd be faced with yet more checkpoints and queues and people would be whinging about that instead.

Gaz

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.