Old numberplates

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Ive spotted a plate on an old 1984 English reg'd Golf that i would like to have on my own car.

Its not taxed or MOT'd and is pretty much ready for the scrappy.

Would i be able to transfer the plate from it to my own car?

Marc

RMS Moderator
think u need to get the car mot'd, then tax it.. then put in for a transfer

pablo

RMS Moderator
it can be done. the 106 i had had a private plate and the seller got it off while SORNED. so I guess a call to dvlni is in order mate.

Gambit

RMS Regular
was there not something recently on here where you can put the car in for MOT and get one of the exemption certificates, get the plate of it then never bother MOT'ing it??

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Surely you only get the exemption cert if it's already got a valid MOT?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Gambit said:
was there not something recently on here where you can put the car in for MOT and get one of the exemption certificates, get the plate of it then never bother MOT'ing it??

Aye, that was mentioned in a thread of mine. Never got round to doing it though.

christine

Drives
Mint Civic
u can do it, i transfered a plate from my citreon wen it wasnt taxed or mot'd, there an £80 charge for all transfers and if ur not mot'd u need an exemption form

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It definitely didnt have an MOT or tax? Talk me through exactly what was invloved in the transfer.

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
apply for mot for the vehicle with the plate. get your exemption cert. go to county hall(coleraine prob best) to get plate transferred with log book, mot exemption

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
cant see how its illegal ? just a loophole in the system atm with mot centres falling behind

doubt you would get arrested and locked up for it tbh , lol

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
djlee_dj said:
now im lost

you mean its went to scrap , but had a nice plate ?

if it hasnt been declared a write off, destoyed etc then i would do it (if i had chassis number, reg details etc)

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
As long as you have the log book and mot exemption Mr Lyons they won't know that the car no longer exists! Transfer the plate, then cancel MOT.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Marc said:
chance it :p you can cancel the mot date and at worst you will lose the £30 fee :p

Pmsl, id lvoe to try it. Reckon the ole boy would be afraid of ending up inside :confounded:

Marc

RMS Moderator
sell the car to me.. then i will do the transfer for you.. obviously i will transfer it back to you as soon as the plate is ready to be moved :grinning:

as long as you pay all the costs and fill in the forms etc.. albeit in my name :p

Lyons said:
Pmsl, id lvoe to try it. Reckon the ole boy would be afraid of ending up inside :confounded:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Marc said:
sell the car to me.. then i will do the transfer for you.. obviously i will transfer it back to you as soon as the plate is ready to be moved :grinning:

as long as you pay all the costs and fill in the forms etc.. albeit in my name :p

LOL, seems like a fair deal. What a helpful chap :p .

£3k for the "car"...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.