Painting plastics

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

casper-ac

RMS Regular
ok so thats not them rubbed down yet.
rubbing them down will make it a much sharper reflection, or it should anyway but remember ur sprayin with rattle cans like cant expect perfection.
a good rub down, easy round the edges.
and agood rub with G3 and you should be lookin a lot better

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
yeah im gonna leave them till the weekend till i get some 2000 paper then wet them down. still undecided on whether to use laquer though?

should i use the G3 compound AFTERi use the 2000 paper?

casper-ac

RMS Regular
yeah after the P2000
i dont no much about rubbing laquer lo, so cant help there im afraid

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
what are those 3M wirey pads for as i have a load of them sitting here...

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
nah that was me in the dress mate

suppose he told you about the state of me on the ole medication on friday night, flat on me face with the peelers round me, LOL

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
ah i forgot, you were barred for offering 'services' in the mens toilets

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I was making a f.ucking packet too. Some weirdo with one leg was always in.

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
was his leg made of plastic and painted? as thats what this topic is about, young man

casper-ac

RMS Regular
those wiry pads are for rubbing paint down and keying it for priming. NOT wat you want to be using.
what do u mean by loads of them, il take a dozen off u if they are goin cheap

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
i mean half a dozen of them, stole them out of Homebase when i worked there years ago

casper-ac

RMS Regular
OK.
well dont use them on your new paint anyway.
Also a word of advice dont leave that newly sprayed paint too long before u begin to rub. 2 days 3 max or else youll be rubbin a lot.

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
was gonna have a bash on friday as im gonna have to find some 2000 paper in town tomorrow.

will i just soak the 2000 paper in water and give the badges a wee rub all aver?

Johnski

RMS Regular
hmm a few conflicting pieces of advice there....

firstly you should have plastic primed them and then applied 2 pack primer, let it dry and give it a slight spray of black aerosol. This is so that when your rubbing it with 800 wet and dry you can see that your making the primer completely smooth.

Id then be applying the base coat as you have already done, in even strokes and enough coats to cover the primer obviously. 8 coats is a bit excessive, depends all really on the quality of the paint and the colour.

You dont have to wet and dry in between coats unless theres a lot of dirt in it or you've made a balls up usually. Not long after you should be applying laquer. not many coats again, just as much as you think is giving you a good finish.

If theres dirt etc in the laquer then rub it with 1500 wet and dry, just warmish water usually suffices, not 'soapy' water. polish it the with G3 and then perhaps some finesse and that should be the job done.

You've already painted away there so i'm sure this is of no use but sure.

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
Cheers for the post PinkJohnSki

Been everywhere asking for 2000 paper and they all looked at me as if i had 3 heads. :confounded:

When i sanded down the primer, it kinda went through to the plastic on the outer edges, but the top coat is already on so a bit late for the black aerosol!

So whats the next stage? Wet and dry it with the 1200 (finest i could get)? Or Laquer it first then wetn'dry it?

.... and whats finesse? just like polish or something?

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
not that desperate for it mate :p

only reason i ever go to Ards is to attend probation

casper-ac

RMS Regular
JOhnSki. i always used a little soap in my sanding water to stop the sandpaper clogging up as quickly.
just a wee squirt of fairy liquid does the trick
and warmish water is alwasy better too since u hand doesnt get frost bite!

Johnski

RMS Regular
Cheers for the post PinkJohnSki

Been everywhere asking for 2000 paper and they all looked at me as if i had 3 heads. :confounded:

When i sanded down the primer, it kinda went through to the plastic on the outer edges, but the top coat is already on so a bit late for the black aerosol!

So whats the next stage? Wet and dry it with the 1200 (finest i could get)? Or Laquer it first then wetn'dry it?

.... and whats finesse? just like polish or something?

Why would you want to be wet and drying the basecoat? has it got a lot of dirt in it?

You dont need 2000 grade either, 1500 should surfice(y) Finesse is a finer/less abrasive polish that will remove and roughness left by G3 compound.

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
theres no dirt in it, the badges are just a little 'rough'? well not rough, but the same kind of texture the original plastic badges were? nowhere near as smooth as the primer was when i wet n' dried the primer?

im sure i have a tube of G3 (or was it G5) at my dads house but suppose its cheap enough to buy a bottle up here, yeah?

Will i really need this finesse stuff?

casper-ac

RMS Regular
no i can near enuf bet youll need to rub it down after the base coat. it wont be smooth. so yes definitely rub it down.
G3 then 3m hand glaze will get u a nice shine.
but as i said before ask someone else about laquer. try it without laquer first see what happens wi it.

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
So wet and dry it with 1200

Then get some G£ and use that

and get whatever this £M hand glaze is and use it

That the plan?

Suppose i could try wet n' dry one of the badges now, they've been sitting in a cupboard for 24 hrs now?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.