PCN - to pay or not to pay?

Alfadude

Got a PCN through the post for a 13min overstay at a Euro Car Park in pay and display in Library Street, Belfast. Paid for 3hrs upfront.

Appealed to POPLA as advised but it was rejected, no good reason other than I was late back from an appointment.

Is this now at a 'bin every letter' stage until they give up or am I legally obliged to fork out?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
It now depends what information you have provided to them really I’d have thought.
The fact you’ve spoken to them and admitted you were the driver maybe they have better grounds to pursue you.

The reason these can just be thrown in the bin is because they can’t take legal action unless they have to have the correct person to pursue.

They have no legal rights to demand to know who was driving/using the car at the time - unlike a police or council ticket

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
9793D3A1-4349-444A-8C1B-CD2C3C664881.jpeg

Just to confirm, recycle and watch @Cooper video as they can’t do nowt. I only received it so no contact made etc.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
These are an invoice, not a fine…
They have no rights to identify the driver and they can’t prosecute the owner …
Definately don’t communicate with them either.

Slightly different in England I think where they can pursue the owner

J55NI

RMS Regular
Not paying these can affect your credit score just encase that matters to some people.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Not paying these can affect your credit score just encase that matters to some people.

Of course it doesn’t !!

It’s an invoice - an invite to pay..
They can’t prove who the driver is so how can they take you to court and prove it was you?!

If you start communicating with them and admit to driving them you might have a problem

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
The credit score angle is a bit of an intimidation tactic. That would have to relate to a CCJ? Otherwise it’s highly unlikely a lender is going to be swayed as to whether you can afford a mortgage based on how long you overstay at M&S and I’m not sure where else that would appear on your file beyond CCJs.

As others mentioned, to get to that stage, they’d need a fair few more steps. ID the driver, some form of engagement/admittance, a claim filed against you, you’d need to go to to court and lose, then you’d need to not pay.

Tactics like that probably do scare some people into responding - poor form though :pensive:

J55NI

RMS Regular
Of course it doesn’t !!

It’s an invoice - an invite to pay..
They can’t prove who the driver is so how can they take you to court and prove it was you?!

If you start communicating with them and admit to driving them you might have a problem
He has ALREADY engaged with them? Did you not read his post? I also have stated it "CAN" affect your credit score as believe it or not SOME of these firms do actually take you to court after a few years.

I have put the important parts in CAPITAL so you hopefully read it correctly.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The only folk in NI who have the legislation to enforce parking is NSL (the redcoats, of which I’m a ex-redcoat lol). No one else can enforce parking.

This should’ve been binned at the first instance.

Now that you’ve replied to them, I don’t know where you stand. There are many who’d argue that in doing so you’ve entered into a “contract” with them as it were.

As has been stated, it won’t directly affect your credit score, but having a CCJ on file MIGHT have an impact.

They now have your details and your admission that it was you so it might be best to seek proper legal advice and not a car forum because I’d be surprised if anyone here knew for certain what the impact on not paying would have.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
They won't take it to court in any way as it costs them more than they'll make on it. Contacting them does not mean you have entered into any contract with them.
The law in NI means that you do not have to identify the DRIVER to these companies so therefore they cannot penalise the OWNER.
I did listen to a program on Radio Ulster that dealt with these tickets and no one has ever been taken to court in NI for one, never mind getting a CCJ for it, as Terry says, there's a lot of steps required on their behalf.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
He has ALREADY engaged with them? Did you not read his post? I also have stated it "CAN" affect your credit score as believe it or not SOME of these firms do actually take you to court after a few years.

I have put the important parts in CAPITAL so you hopefully read it correctly.

Show me evidence of ONE car of someone in NI getting done at court for a PCN?!!
That would be a MASSIVE test case and open floodgates

You didn’t specify for the OP- you made a blanket statement that is incorrect

J55NI

RMS Regular
Show me evidence of ONE car of someone in NI getting done at court for a PCN?!!
That would be a MASSIVE test case and open floodgates

You didn’t specify for the OP- you made a blanket statement that is incorrect
Internet solicitor snoopy to the rescue.

The statement is correct as they CAN take you to court which will have an impact on your credit file should this happen.

The world CAN was typed very clearly but you seem to have rushed to the reply button instead of reading it. It was only a few words...

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3

The statement is correct as they CAN take you to court which will have an impact on your credit file should this happen.

The world CAN was typed very clearly but you seem to have rushed to the reply button instead of reading it. It was only a few words...

That’s what I’m saying - you’re wrong …
Explain HOW they can take you to court?
How do they prove you’re the driver? An unsolicited email discussing the PCN?

As mentioned hundreds of times on radio, internet, TV, they Can’t take the owner to court and have no power to demand legal statement of who was driving …

Those things can happen with a council or police fine…NOT a parking invoice

purplea4T

RMS Regular

It will only have an impact on your credit file should you not discharge your debt. Going to court doesn't mean a negative impact on borrowing.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
They can get the money out of you if the cars on a lease or is a company car. Failing to pay that will presumably do no favours to your credit scoring. Doesn’t matter who was driving or anything, the lease company just sends you the bill that they’ve paid on your behalf already. We had this, I fought it and got out on a GDPR technicality with the leasing company but the parking company got paid.

Best way to avoid them is to not park poorly? Imagine running your own business with a carpark and being powerless to deal with people effectively stealing your property.

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
I had one few years back at yorkgate , I’d met the ex and her daughter she left her car and we continued journey in mine then few hours later I left them back at her car but it was my reg got photos on camera parking at 19.30 then as I dropped them off phot again me exiting onto York road it got filed in bin lol never heard again, I’m fighting a bus lane one atm from before Xmas it shows on pic 19.03 bus lane stops at 19.00

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I had one few years back at yorkgate , I’d met the ex and her daughter she left her car and we continued journey in mine then few hours later I left them back at her car but it was my reg got photos on camera parking at 19.30 then as I dropped them off phot again me exiting onto York road it got filed in bin lol never heard again, I’m fighting a bus lane one atm from before Xmas it shows on pic 19.03 bus lane stops at 19.00

Got a bus lane one there a few weeks ago for dropping passengers off. Was absolutely raging 😂😂