Peugeot 106 Track Build

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Cheers Wayne!

So when I had it all back together and ran up to temp a few times and made sure everything my end seemed ok it was time to head back up to Stevens to put the car on the rollers to tweak the map now the engine was in situ and not on an engine dyno.

ABLVV86nXzqgVOrFeLJTJcGThYpYfmSL4C7IH-bJf0t3ST-HH6mlujr1xkui8BWeMGpsG593C0B1IHiXpWri6TUl3hG5dnY2lDEfFeVF15y55Ff6F-chguhk=w2400

ABLVV85Vpq7Ouot2wuyqCno252sQ1azH3CTLwOFqzsKard-6oi7Dz5Csaz526rBMBxgB5b6B3l5B0YjsXAd8vVjU-hYvEkf3tyHn_hHj3-cB9-pOMO5wTmFf=w2400

Alan acting as ballast as kept losing traction on the rollers 🫣

All fine tuned and then I did one shakedown run at Nutts Corner with it in September to see how things went. Car is a riot to drive! With the new diff it's quite a handful as it's a little bit vicious but I'm delighted with the engine, it sounds so good on full chat!

Only have one run from that day on camera and it's very scappy but you get the idea.

That's it pretty much up to date, as I said before I didn't really do much competing last year as it was better to get the build done and get it done right!

Here's a sneak peak of what's currently happening

ABLVV87UyA-P8vT0s3ZZ4GyV9FyHwnQy4X2JgdMLmc6pua0uZdm0iKM9wuoyniO4k8Lqhf2X0tJwq0qF8xTwUVNQ8aYpzSgXLeoGSyn9CpGt-wOCpWcDFyWm=w2400

Basically the bonnet I had was a carbon fibre thing that had zero bracing or strength in it. The result of this was it did a serious amount of flapping around and as such in my head means it's creating drag as the lift on it was serious! So when I picked up the roof skin from the scrapper the guy also had a bonnet and boot lid so I took those too.

This is an old photo from a month or so ago and I was only trial fitting it here (and yes I will be painting it lol). I'll grab some photos of the current progress and put them up in the next day or too.
In the process of fitting aerocatches and an air intake to feed the throttle bodies. Also as I'm planning to run modified I can now strip the interior so that's underway as well.

More to come in a day or too but the updates from here on in will be current.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Sadev next Paul 😝
Haha I wish!!! Serious money and I couldn’t justify it to be honest. Though the one element I’m not that happy with is the gearbox!

Ratios left it hard to keep on the boil at Nutts Corner but then it’s a bit unique so need to get out elsewhere and see how it goes. I also had an annoying crunch into second when trying to change quickly, almost like it’s beating the synchro. I just don’t have any adjustment left in the Satchshift so need to decide what to do there.

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
Haha I wish!!! Serious money and I couldn’t justify it to be honest. Though the one element I’m not that happy with is the gearbox!

Ratios left it hard to keep on the boil at Nutts Corner but then it’s a bit unique so need to get out elsewhere and see how it goes. I also had an annoying crunch into second when trying to change quickly, almost like it’s beating the synchro. I just don’t have any adjustment left in the Satchshift so need to decide what to do there.
RSA of any interest to you? Some range of machinery at it…

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Yeah considering getting out for some of them next season. I'm really quite undecided what I want to do this incoming season so not sure I'll commit to any one discipline. For the RSA events I would need a different passenger seat and an extinguisher but no bad thing anyway!

I ran out of motivation tbh come the start of winter there after so much work last year so trying to get the mojo back (and hoping do this thread can help inspire some of that!). The sprint season starts in a month and I'm miles from completing what I had planned to do.... so I'll suck it and see, not going to panic too much about what I do as long as I get out and enjoy it.

ScottIGLaw

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 911
I have to commend the effort and detail that goes into a build such as this. Superb effort!

Which do you enjoy most, the build process or the driving? I often feel that once ‘complete’ one always finds something else to upgrade! Never ending cycle until bank accounts cause restriction!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
I have to commend the effort and detail that goes into a build such as this. Superb effort!

Which do you enjoy most, the build process or the driving? I often feel that once ‘complete’ one always finds something else to upgrade! Never ending cycle until bank accounts cause restriction!
I love both for very different reasons. The build keeps my mind occupied, researching how to do something or deciding what parts I want, buying parts and then being in my own space in the garage doing the work is what keeps me sane!

The racing feeds my need for adrenaline and competitive nature and pushing myself so I need both sides really.

I have been known to complete a build and then just move it on if I feel I’ve taken it as far as I want to and go straight in to the next build!
Love this build Paul. Looking forward to seeing more of the progress 😁
Thanks Connor!

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Weapon, sounds the part and go's well. You mainly stick to sprints / hillclimbs?

Always keep one out for a cheap 106 or the like for this job but don't pop up very often!!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So far that's all I've done with this one, might do some RSA events this year at some point but as it requires me to spend more money to meet the regs I'm not sure when I'll get out to them! At the moment I'm trying to decide which tyres to run for this season, I was limited to 888's in the previous class but now tyres are open so I can use whatever I want.

No not many cheap 106's pop up unless they need a ball of work done to them!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Goes well and sounds great and I'm sure its great craic to drive.

Never been to Nutts corner, but it looks well suited to a car like this, not so much something bigger and too powerful. I think my civic would be a lot of fun there.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Thanks Ian. Yeah Nutts Corner is well suited to it in the fact it's tight and twisty and the car is nimble, I just found with the new BE box the ratios weren't 100% but it still went well and definitely good craic!

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Yeah considering getting out for some of them next season. I'm really quite undecided what I want to do this incoming season so not sure I'll commit to any one discipline. For the RSA events I would need a different passenger seat and an extinguisher but no bad thing anyway!

I ran out of motivation tbh come the start of winter there after so much work last year so trying to get the mojo back (and hoping do this thread can help inspire some of that!). The sprint season starts in a month and I'm miles from completing what I had planned to do.... so I'll suck it and see, not going to panic too much about what I do as long as I get out and enjoy it.
There is talk of a few nav rallies running in 2024 so remember to add them to your motorsport calendar too. (y)

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Just watched that video 😲 the amount of lock you can get on without it pushing it’s nose is unbelievable!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Yeah once there's a little bit of temp into the tyres it'll pretty much do what you want it to do, great fun to drive

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Paul. That’s a phenomenal amount of work; an amazing turnaround and the car looks like an absolute hoot to drive.

I’m guessing removing the power steering has been a major benefit for the handling on circuits too

Bravo man. Well done

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Thanks for the kind words Ross!

Power steering gone certainly helps the feel but it does mean for more of a workout, especially with a wicked diff!

Few bits and pieces getting ordered this week so hopefully have an update at the weekend.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
great thread Paul - i admire your work and motivation on this...... and was great doing a few of those sprints with you in my sensible road car :p

if you need a hand when you are doing the timing next time.... give us a shout - you know i love timing engines.... and mapping.... and mapping... and.........;)

hopefully get a bit of craic trackside with ya this year again.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Cheers Mark! Was thinking of checking the timing etc this weekend if you were free and fancied it 🤪

Definitely good to get a run out again, roll on the season starting!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Nice job, a well sorted 106 is hard to beat on the sort of sprints that we get here. Are you not doing hills too? I've thought about doing the RSA events too but some of the videos I've seen have been rough and mucky in some sections.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Nice job, a well sorted 106 is hard to beat on the sort of sprints that we get here. Are you not doing hills too? I've thought about doing the RSA events too but some of the videos I've seen have been rough and mucky in some sections.
I’ll see about the hills, have wanted to do Cairncastle this last few years but for various reasons it didn’t work out. It’s close to me and a nice hill so it’s appealing but have to see how the car goes. To be honest it’s probably a bit too low and stiff to be competitive as the front suspension is a fixed Leda track setup. I’d ideally want to change that for something more adjustable but it’s all money…

For RSA the roughest seems to be Aghadowey, you’d be fine at Nutts Corner and from what I’ve seen Ballykelly is fine too and looks a decent length of stage.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Great project, love a good 106! Was there a final power figure in the end? Must be rapid!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Great project, love a good 106! Was there a final power figure in the end? Must be rapid!
Cheers Rob. Aimed for a 190bhp build and managed to sneak an extra few over and above that. Plenty of scope to get close to the 210 mark but for now I'm happy with what I've got!