points from down south

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

daves106

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo ST220
a while ago i got caught speeding down south and i paid my fine. this morning i got a letter from the irish department of transport saying i have got 2 penalty points. does anyone know if this will effect my licence

Crimson Viper

Drives
Integra Type R D
emm i can answer this for you, the answer is yes (nearly 100% sure). the points stand. Came into a law a few weeks ago between the north and the south.
But if it happened before the law came in, then you might be safe.

daves106

RMS Regular
OP
daves106
Drives
Mondeo ST220
it happened in november only got that letter this morning though

Crimson Viper

Drives
Integra Type R D
ring an insurance company, but not the one your with and ask them what would happen if you were caught speeding in the south, would you get points on your lienece or not, that you just want to know for future ref. If they say no, bin the piece of paper.

kamili

Drives
Mazda Mx5
As far as I know, you will have points put on your license.
You should contact the DVLNI and see what they say, or take a look maybe they have something on their website about it.

Crimson Viper

Drives
Integra Type R D
well until a few weeks ago english and northern reg cars couldn't get points down here, and the speed cameras couldn't do anything to them either.

kamili

Drives
Mazda Mx5
Possibly true but I have heard of english and northern cars getting huge hassle as a result!

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Unless you've got a Irish driving licence, ignore it.

Only time you need to worry is if you get something from the PSNI or the DVLNI. A two-bit police 'force' from a foreign country has no say in what happens to your UK licence.

kamili

Drives
Mazda Mx5
ZS said:

Only time you need to worry is if you get something from the PSNI or the DVLNI. A two-bit police 'force' from a foreign country has no say in what happens to your UK licence.

They Do Now!!

Its been passed as a law recently along with some other changes to the points system down south.

You do need to watch out on the roads down there now as they can issue you with a hefty fine, and give you points!

UK, NI and the Republic all now have access to the databases that hold details of their respective road users and thats how they would get your address if caught by a speed camera.

Cess

RMS Staff
Not as far as I know. I will find out for definite this afternoon.

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
daves106 said:
a while ago i got caught speeding down south and i paid my fine. this morning i got a letter from the irish department of transport saying i have got 2 penalty points. does anyone know if this will effect my licence

Did they ask for you to send your license to them?

Cess

RMS Staff
Daves 106 - you can tell them to **** right off.

Here's the crack:

As of the 9th February the UK and Republic of Ireland transport ministers have signalled their intention to co-operate on driving dis-qualifications. That is all.

Press release here: http://www.nics.gov.uk/press/env/060209f-env.htm

The Republic of Ireland government have pressed the authorities in Northern Ireland for mutual recognition of penalty points, but the Northern Ireland ministers have yet to implement anything (y)

i.e. if you get points down there they count for **** all up here.

Cess

RMS Staff
What they annouced was that if you get banned from driving in the Republic you will not be able to apply for a driving licence in Northern Ireland or drive or our roads and vice versa. This is not legislation yet, it is something they are intending to do.

There is definitely no mutual recognition of penalty points though.

No probs K. Welcome to the site btw (y)

kamili

Drives
Mazda Mx5
Cess said:
What they annouced was that if you get banned from driving in the Republic you will not be able to apply for a driving licence in Northern Ireland or drive or our roads and vice versa. This is not legislation yet, it is something they are intending to do.

There is definitely no mutual recognition of penalty points though.

No probs K. Welcome to the site btw (y)

I have read it somewhere very recently, I think the irish times might be the culprit!

Thanks, and I'm already starting fights! Great way to begin huh :innocent: :confounded:

daves106

RMS Regular
OP
daves106
Drives
Mondeo ST220
thats good i was starting to worry there must have just been sent out automatically they didnt ask for my licence or anything so that will hopefully be the end of it

thanks for the advice

kamili

Drives
Mazda Mx5
daves106 said:
thats good i was starting to worry there must have just been sent out automatically they didnt ask for my licence or anything so that will hopefully be the end of it

thanks for the advice

Did you give them your address?

daves106

RMS Regular
OP
daves106
Drives
Mondeo ST220
well yeah i had got the fine and paid it in november then got this through the door earlier saying i had points

Steve C

RMS Regular
Just to clarify, there is no legislation in place yet either North or South about this. They are only discussing it at the minute.

They cannot put points on your NI licence yet. Bin the letter.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
i might just be the paddy plod taking the pi55 again, sure when the peace process started and the ruc and the gardi 5hitinthecorner started sharing information the gardi sent up an heap of parking tickets which had amassed on there system, my dad recieved one for parking ofence which was about 12 years outta date.

Give them an inch they take a mile.

Baz C

Banned
ZS said:

couldn't have put it better myself

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.