points from down south

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Phil_D

RMS Regular
You don't even need to pay the fine unless they ask for it there and then....Just ignore it otherwise...

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Maybe it's similar to what I've had happen to me over here in Scotland and in England.

I've been caught a few times over here, but the Police have never been able to put the points onto my NI license, what they have done is contact the DVLA and they put 'shadow points' on my license.

If I end up with 12 points over here, I will get banned from driving in Scotland/England but should still be able to drive in NI.

I have 6 shadow points registered with the DVLA, but none are shown on my DVLNI licence.

All very confusing!

Cess

RMS Staff
Woodcutter said:
Maybe it's similar to what I've had happen to me over here in Scotland and in England.

I've been caught a few times over here, but the Police have never been able to put the points onto my NI license, what they have done is contact the DVLA and they put 'shadow points' on my license.

If I end up with 12 points over here, I will get banned from driving in Scotland/England but should still be able to drive in NI.

I have 6 shadow points registered with the DVLA, but none are shown on my DVLNI licence.

All very confusing!

Watch that mate, pretty sure if you get a bad in England/Scotland/Wales you are now baanned here as well.

Right about the points though.

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
yea the ponts don't stand in the north, I've got 3 irish points and I've a northern licence,

the points are just sitting on the computer in dublin until I get a valid irish licence. which I don't plan on doing.

so when your insurance company etc ask you have you any points on your licence, just say no as you don't have any on your current licence ;)

Cess

RMS Staff
Why pay the fine? It's not as if they are going to come to Northern Ireland to arrest you for no payment. If you get flashed by a GATSO, they won't even know who you are.

Steve C

RMS Regular
I wouldn't worry about the fine to be honest. Ignore it and it will go away. Again, there is no legislation in place to enforce payment.

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
strange the way the lawyer in work here told me to pay it cos they will bring me to court to get payment

they guards pulled me over and got my address via my licence

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
but it would need to be a court of law in the south, which they can send you a letter to attend, if you decide to ignore it you will have a warrant placed against you. When you are stopped by the gardi after that, if the officer actually has the warrant in his posession he can arrest you. if he doesnt have it he can detain you until they get it and then will formally charge you.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.