Porsche boxster

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

murzo

RMS Regular
Drives
AMG Merc/???????
Had the boxster now 3 months and i have to say im well impresssed. Such an underated car. Straight line speed would be on the same level as an e46 m3 but the set up of the car would be the best balanced car ive driven, thats including the CSL and C2S. Thinking of updating the wheels and dropping it 30mm. Whats your opinions on the wheels and the boxster itself?
186214-2.jpg

987_news1.jpg

Ade Hughes

RMS Regular
Drives
mk6.5 fiesta zet
keep those wheels and drop it the 30mm, i think the wheels in the bottom pic dont suit the car

looks very well in black (y)

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I really liked the wheels in the top pic, until i saw the second one - miles better. Definitely go for the wheels and lowering

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I wouldnt be in a rush to change the wheels, they look fine as is, just get it dropped a bit n a subtle skirt/splitter and she'll look even better.... (y)

big cyril

RMS Regular
Don't think I'd change anything - Boxsters (old and new shape) have always been rated extremely highly by the magazines for handling, I'd be worried that lowering it and putting bigger wheels on might detract from the original Porsche set up.
Looks lovely (y)

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Wouldn't change anything myself, lovely looking cars the way they are, especially with the wheels you have on.

I got invited to test the Boxster and Boxster S at a Crail Raceway in Scotland last year, and I was very surprised at how much I liked them. Great handling cars, but the basic was quite underpowered and I don't agree that it's on a par with an E46 M3 performance wise.

Oh, and if you think a Boxster is more balanced than your old CSL.......you weren't driving the CSL properly!! :p

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Or you weren't driving the boxster properly!!!

I had the Porsche Carrera Cup UK championship winner sitting beside me, telling me what to do, so I reckon I was getting the most out of it Mr PC Plod! ;) :p

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 R
personally i love them, had the pleasure of driving the gf's dads one, one that was at cruise control 06, and loved it.
i agree with you that their underrated, by people like the ones in this thread about too cheap for a 911.

@baz, thats like saying you bought your old focus cause you were too cheap to buy a Focus RS

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
personally i love them, had the pleasure of driving the gf's dads one, one that was at cruise control 06, and loved it.
i agree with you that their underrated, by people like the ones in this thread about too cheap for a 911.

@baz, thats like saying you bought your old focus cause you were too cheap to buy a Focus RS

Exactly, it's still a £40k Porsche and a great car. Anyone who thinks it's a hairdressers car has probably never driven one.

I'd love a Cayman S, which is basically just a Boxster with a hard top, call me a poof all day long but I wouldn't care! :party:

4Motions

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
I think its a great car, it has gradually been perfected more and more over the years, the view of it being a Hair Dressers car is only their because of people watching too much Top Gear.

Have to say the second pics does look a little nicer though imo

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Get those bottom wheels on right away!

Don't listen to the hairdresser comments, its not an MX5. Don't be sucked in.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Deffo not a hairdresser's car, IMO the Boxster & Z4 (M edition of course :p) and S2000 are all in a league of their own and are proper sports cars. MX5 is a great driving car but still a bit girlie.

The old "you only buy a boxster if you can't afford a 911" argument is ridiculous and reeks of jealousy to be honest. Is a Ferrari 360 a poor man's F40? Hardly, and a 40k Porsche is hardly a car you buy with pocket change either.

Gaz

PeteJ

RMS Regular
Drives
A black 4x4
i absolutely love boxsters and i tried and tried to get one, but just couldn't justify the price new, so bought the slk.
I went to a track day with porsche at kirkiston and drove the boxster S Cayman S and 4S on the track. I loved the boxster S, and that is why i tried so hard to get one priced right! but lord tehy are expensive to spec up.
I think your car is great, but i would change the wheels! the porsche multispoke jobbies, in 19's are delicious on them. I also am a bigfan of TechArt rims on them.
you have great taste, and it def aint no 'hairdresser car' and people who say you can't afford a 911.....emm duh, that is why i spent 40k on a new boxster instead, which is still an incredible car. why did u buy a 330 and not an M3? retarded comment that one.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
As much as i like boxsters, which is a fair amount, the only time a non "s" boxster would keep up with an E46 M3 would be reversing into a carpark space.
I saw a Civic Type R hand it to a boxster once. The S is quite a different beast however.

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
I would swap the wheels and lower it but make sure you get lightweight wheels and dont go overboard on the drop (y)

brendy

RMS Regular
As much as i like boxsters, which is a fair amount, the only time a non "s" boxster would keep up with an E46 M3 would be reversing into a carpark space.
I saw a Civic Type R hand it to a boxster once. The S is quite a different beast however.
Yup the standard boxster isnt as fast as it should be, the s is a good 40 brake stronger though iirc.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.