Porsche Cayman 3.4 S

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Posting on behalf of a friend..

Porsche Cayman 3.4 2005ish

What's your opinions in these guys... @Boydie what they like to live with? Hard to sell on?

Cheers, Joe

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Good cars, but a bit long geared I found and they don't feel that quick, although I think in reality they're faster than they feel.

They really need lowered, spacers, nice wheels (like Boydies) and an exhaust.

Hell of a lot of car for the money. Although I'd still take a Z4 M Coupe over a Gen1 Cayman S.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
What years do they run ? 05 seems early.

I looked at specs before and there no doubt it need be a S. The smaller engines wouldn do it for me

johnb740

RMS Regular
Drives
X3 3.0 SD
Although I'd still take a Z4 M Coupe over a Gen1 Cayman S.

+1x10^6

Z4M has more power, is faster, better spec, more reliable, and cheaper to maintain.

Those are just the headline facts.

Whether the Z4M is better to drive than the Cayman, I can't comment upon as I have never driven a Cayman.

Stocky

RMS Regular
They handy sold on or tight market for them?

Prices have been steady for 18months or more possibly but they havent changed much from when I was looking for mine

Had a few calls already on mine and only had it online since last Thursday. Time will tell I guess

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah I loved mine, I'd still have it mo problem if my current car didn't come on the market at a good price. I would have loved to have kept it and bought a cheap daily but that wasn't an option unfortunately.

More practical than you'd think with the extra boot since the car is mid engined, great noise on full chat and brilliant to drive.

Don't think there were too many downsides apart from servicing costs and parts :worried:

They are great money at the minute, look for one with sports Chrono and nav like mine :cool:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
May as well upload a few photos :p

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

driven

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondy ST220 BMW
Love mine for all it's out only done 3k in it since bought sits in the drive most of the time, a decent suspension set up is a must, mines running coilovers, I find the standard exhaust is bearable with a nice note however I'm upgrading in the future, bore liners on the earlier models have a tendency to score, mine was rebuilt by hartech at 16k with 6 new bore liners, other than that I don't have much plans for mine, I find the tomb stones uncomfy on long journeys however it is just a weekend car for out and about the countryside, other than that just the usual part prices availability etc

If I had the choice now I'd have paid the extra for a newer PDK with sports pack.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Seems to have an upgraded exhaust, although check to see whether it's just the tips that have been changed...that won't make it sound any different.
You would think that, as I did. When I changed the tip on my 964 the note changed completely. And again when I changed the tailpipes on my bmw last week. If the tip steps up in size it seems to amplify the sound.

Stocky

RMS Regular
Here is a quick check list 1 of the guys at George McMillan Porsche gave me when I was looking....

-Check Air con is blowing cold, they leak at the condensors and lose refrigerant.

-Check all springs.

-Check all brakes, especially inside of the discs.

-Check for rattles/squeaks from suspension both front and rear. Could be a sign the top mounts are gone if it's front, or suspension arms if it's rear.

-Try and look below to check rear main seal isn't leaking between gearbox and engine.

-Pay attention to the running on idle, Coilpacks crack and create small missfires.

-Check window operations, the regulators creak then tend to snap.

-Listen for exhaust blow outs, the flange nuts corrode away and they blow out.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
You would think that, as I did. When I changed the tip on my 964 the note changed completely. And again when I changed the tailpipes on my bmw last week. If the tip steps up in size it seems to amplify the sound.

Funny you say that, I changed mine but I thought I was hearing things when I thought it sounded slightly different. Anyone I asked said it sounded the same, so I thought I was just in my head.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I'm a big fan of them an epic chassis, balance and weights of the controls.

The engine I found is very smooth and quite linear, not necessarily in a bad way.

I just found the equivalent Z4M a little too twitchy and claustrophobic.

My 2p :grinning:.

Sweet Fantastic

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche Cayman S
Compared to my 964, the Cayman feels more responsive and, dare I say it,quicker at low speeds (if you know what I mean) ............
An easier day to day car to live with...........I love it!!
Has to be Guards Red tho'. No other colour satisfies the shape.....

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Also, mine had a Revo remap which made it more responsive. It achieved 300.2bhp on OBD rolling road.

I took it down to McMillan and they were impressed :cool:

LesNobleM12

RMS Regular
Drives
McLaren 12c
Owned two of these in my time - In summary, my feelings are that they are a really well built and refined sports car. They are a nice driving car (gearing feels perfect), look impressive with the 911 Tubro wheels but I tended to think that it just lacked something - could never quite put my finger on what it was however....

For two people, actually reasonably practical, with good depth in the front boot and decent flat packing space in the rear - space never let me down.

If your looking at one, just watch out for all the variations of exhausts, performance kits, sport chrono packs etc. My first one had the remote flaps in the exhaust (made it a louder experience) my 2nd one didn't even though it had the sport button. Was a bit of a let down when I realised that I had lost the louder setting. Also leather seats doesn't default to heated seats. Best bet is to check the manual for all the codes with the added extras.

Steve

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
So many tiny extras that you wouldn't really notice at first glance and I didn't know that @LesNobleM12 about the sport button. Mine fortunately had the flaps

Also look for extended leather pack either side of the stereo system and the Porsche crest embossed seats. Mine didn't have the crest which I felt annoyed about but the other options made up for it.

There are LED lights in the door handles, mine were quite dull and never really noticed them until later on in ownership so check that they work.

Also, put the windows up and down several times, my regulator failed on me the night before the new buyer was to pick up :mad: had a new one fitted next morning and was told McMillan are replacing them daily - £198 sting :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.