Power caps

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
unless you like the look of them...fairly made my build interesting and was great as i said for keeping you straight in knowing if that your system is getting the correct power/earth.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
LOL.

but in all honestly, when the prats at in-car audio "fitted" my sound system about 1.5+ years ago they made really bad installuations and only noticed the problem when i got the powercap and was reading low figures. thanks to baron for given me right figures to compare til

-Pete-

RMS Regular
the big three is what you should really be upgrading and then your battery too. even on low power systems this is still what i would do over a power cap.

a power cap discharges instantly the power is needed then needs re charging,all while the music is still pumping so it just helps for fraction of a second and then it needs recharged along with power still needing to go to your amp/s. this just adds a secondary drain on the power. simple and logical.

bottom line, power caps are sh*te and a waste of money.

and if youre wanting to know voltage, buy a voltage gauge and install it upfront so you can actually see what your voltage is doing while your playing your system. power caps not much good if you have to stop the car and run to the boot to see whats going on.

the big three is a cheap upgrade, even go and buy welding cable for it. cross section is king when it comes to cable, although more strands can sometimes be more flexible theyre not better at transmitting power.
welding cable @50mm^2 for 10 metres only costs about 15 quid and you can pick up the lugs to match for next to nothing. job done and it will make a bigger difference than a power cap.

power caps or as theyre known, capacitors, are already in your system anyway where they should be- INSIDE YOUR AMPS!!

inside3.jpg

if youre having any issues though something as simple as checking all power and ground connections are tight and clean can find faults. loose or power conections are enough to rob your system of power.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
i didnt have to...i could see it with my seats down :p

and to buy a voltage gauge and install it upfront would maybe cost more and cause more hassel than caps retail!?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
bollocks ossy!

you can pick up a gauge for 20 quid brand new and its only a matter of three wires, one for remote turn on, one for power and one for ground and the wires only need to be small (12 gauge or 16 gauge even)

and you can just wire them direct into the battery for the same effect which is even closer and handier ;)

power caps are just sheite!lol!

the ONLY power cap type device that i would consider putting in my car is the likes of an alumpro or a phoenix golf power core but youre talking about 15-20 farads of capacitance which is a bit different but even then its still no substitute.

pablo

RMS Moderator
£5 multimeter does me :grinning:

Tho I have a fuse holder with digital display in my kitcar, handy to make sure the alternator is working :laughing:

kr88

OP
K
also what amp is it? 1000w doesnt mean much could be a true 1000w RMS of a grossly inflated 1000w PEAK or some shat. If the latter then chances of needing to do ANY of the above are slim

hello

the amp is 800w RMS

-Pete-

RMS Regular
have you a link to the amp so we can see its spec etc? even rms figures can be inflated and are becoming more so these days when it comes to manufacturers quotes.

its not another ebay special is it??

kr88

OP
K
have you a link to the amp so we can see its spec etc? even rms figures can be inflated and are becoming more so these days when it comes to manufacturers quotes.

its not another ebay special is it??

lol! yeah it was those two i gave the links too

kr88

OP
K
lol yeh i just checked it got another million and one questions for you in the other thread after your post! sorry about all the questions im dumb when it comes to this, everything has started to make sence since i joined this forum! many thanks for all your help so far much appciated

kr88

OP
K
power cap

i have decided to try the power cap and see what it can do

just wanted to check that

1 farad = 1000watts
1.5 farad = 1500 watts
2 farad = 2000 watts

are these figures in RMS wattage or MAX wattage?

and also if the amp is 2000watts but had an output of 450RMS x 4 (ohms) lanzar amplifier then i would need a 2 farad power cap

however say if i had a 2 farad power cap and the amp was only 1000watts will there be any problems?

thanks

-Pete-

RMS Regular
obviously you have gotten those as recommended ratings for each 1000w of power use 1 farad cap but honestly its a waste of money and your money is spent better elsewhere in your system but its your money so youre free to spend it on what you want :confounded:

it must be some amp if it can put out 450wrmsx4 whoever the manufacturer is! theyre bound to be max figures and not continuous figures. an amp able to put out that sort of power would need to be insanely huge and beefy and youd also need a heck of a lot more than just a piddly power cap to help power it.

what amp is it and do you have a link to the spec?

point is, if you have an amp thats pretty huge a power cap is a serious waste of money, you should instead get fatter wiring to power it and upgrade any wiring in your engine bay to and from the battery/alt/earths otherwise known as the big three.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
you could do it yourself, basically there is an earth strap from the battery to the chassis, the battery to the alternator, and to the engine block (correct me if im wrong)
these need replaced with a larger gauge of wire, 4gauge should be fine.

honestly for the sake of £20 try the power cap, some work for people others hate them. its worth a pop, if it doesnt work, sell it on

-Pete-

RMS Regular
dont bother with a mechanic, if youre getting it done any ice installer worth their salt will know what " the big three" means.

you will either ask for the big three to be upgraded or

the earth wire coming off the battery to the car chassis and from the battery to the engine,
power wire running from alt to starter to battery.

as for the amp, its certainly a lot better than an ebay special but again dont expect magic figures, those specs its quoted also seem pretty optimistic but still a lot better than ebay amps so its all good.

kr88

OP
K
ok thats good! getting somewhere now, so by changing the big three will eliminate the need for a power cap? and supposivly if the amp was 1000watts and a 2.0 farad cap was connected to it would it cause any problems?

thanks

-Pete-

RMS Regular
yes it will be fine.

by upgrading 'the big three' you should indeed eliminate the need for a power cap. also check all your terminals and connections are clean and tight. especially the ones into the amp and the battery and earth connections. on the battery terminals and the engine terminals etc, put a spot of copper grease on them to keep them clean and stop them growing the blue stuff (calcifiing as far as i know theterm) and also keeps the connections good.

kr88

OP
K
dont bother with a mechanic, if youre getting it done any ice installer worth their salt will know what " the big three" means.

you will either ask for the big three to be upgraded or

the earth wire coming off the battery to the car chassis and from the battery to the engine,
power wire running from alt to starter to battery.

when i got my stuff installed the other day i asked about the big three i.e earth wiring coming off the battery to the car chassis and from the battery to the engine, they asked what do i want it upgraded to? and i didnt know!

thanks

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.