private mot tester?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
ok i know there is a private garage in saintfield that can mot your car for you but does anyone have a contact number or some more details of this place. i have a friend that got his motor mot'ed there but he has moved to england and lost the number lol

lee-r33

RMS Regular
OP
lee-r33
Drives
R33 Skyline
tbh the car is very heavily modified and if i take it to a private garage ill be able to put it on and off ramps myself without the car getting damged

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Now feel free to prove me wrong, but the only place in NI to have your car tested legally is at one of the government test centres.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Lee-8-Ball-Auto said:
tbh the car is very heavily modified and if i take it to a private garage ill be able to put it on and off ramps myself without the car getting damged

the new MOT centres seem pretty friendly to low cars - didnt look too vicious. At the end of the day they cant damage your car and if they do then it probably isnt roadworthy in the first place

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
RMS CRX said:
Maybe the garage was taking the cars to the mot centre on behalf of the customers?

yea i would of thought thats what happened, surely an MOT cant be done by anyone but a government authority? otherwise Brownenvalopes would have every car throught the MOT with no real way of the government knowing whose car should be on the road and whose shouldnt...

lee-r33

RMS Regular
OP
lee-r33
Drives
R33 Skyline
no there is two garages in northern ireland that can privately mot test your car i know this for definate. the car was put onto a ramp by a garage recently for an mot check before i take it for mot and they damaged it taking it off the ramp hence me not wanting to let someone else do it. ill be putting standard springs in for mot to give me some ground clearance btw. just wanted to know if anyone else knew any details of this place in saintfield.

pablo

RMS Moderator
mate you sure they dont do an MOT check? ie a pre MOT inspection? Why do we have MOT centres if any garage can do it?

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Ok so you know for definite there's these two garages... but you have no contact details?

merlin

RMS Regular
I'm of the same opinion as everyone else, the only place to legally get mot is the DVLNI MOT centres. Surely if a private garage can do it, then they'd all be at it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
someone has led you up the:

garden_path.jpg

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
corsa_c_chris said:
yea i would of thought thats what happened, surely an MOT cant be done by anyone but a government authority? otherwise Brownenvalopes would have every car throught the MOT with no real way of the government knowing whose car should be on the road and whose shouldnt...

Welcome to England sir.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
It was true a guy got a licence to do private MOT's, but the DVLNI got a way around it by making them useless to purchase tax with. If this was possible the dealerships - Agnews and Hursts would be straight in there to monoplise it and the DVTA would be out a lot of money.

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
corsa_c_chris said:
this go on alot over in the mainland??

Yes, you take it to your local garage to get an MOT done... i think that they have to apply to be assessed by some regulatory body but its the way most are done and back handers are not that uncommon... also i dont think the MOT there is as thourough as our own, thought i could be wrong.

ITs basically why theres still **** loads of RS turbos etc on the roads over there... because they can still be moted there but probably wouldnt stand a chance here.

lee-r33

RMS Regular
OP
lee-r33
Drives
R33 Skyline
no i know this place is legit as i have a friend that got his van done there then proceeded to tax it etc. if i find the place i will post up details of it.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
RMS CRX said:
Maybe the garage was taking the cars to the mot centre on behalf of the customers?

or maybe the garage was selling MOt certificates ?? just a thought :laughing:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
in saying that, the fella that i bought my car off, and i know loads of other people that have dealt with him, seems to get all of the veichles he takes to be tested passed

he does all MOT prep, bodywork, mechanics etc..

il PM ya details if ya want, hes in ballynahinch and hes cheap as fook too which is always a bonus

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Ive a friend of a friend that can get MOT's too.....

Its just that when you actually want one....he's never able to.

MOT centres in Northern Ireland are government run. There arent any others.

Some garages have purchased MOT equipment in order to do pre-MOT checks ( what a waste of money. Cheaper just to put it through a real MOT and see what it fails on lol ), but only the DVTA can give the certificates.

With new computerisation/database on the mainland, things are being tightened up. I'm sure there will still be plenty of palces to get dodgy MOT's over there, but it should become ahrder.

Dont forget, MOT's over there would be a big money earner for garages. If caught putting out dodgy cars, they would lose that license to print money, and probably get in some serious trouble. The new computerised records should make it better.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.