Putting a bigger engine in ur car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

LOUDclio

How do u do this without ur insurance finding out? MOT would have something to say about it wouldn't they?

pablo

RMS Moderator
mot wont care unless they check the engine code or it fails emissions.

insurance will go banannas tho :grinning:

only way to do it is to use an engine of the same appearance and hope noone noticed but its a risky venture.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
MOT centre don't give a fiddlers what engine you have in afaik.

LOUDclio

OP
LOUDclio
But this engine would be well noticable like. They would be able to tell straight away even by the sound of it. Different ppl say different things; some say mot wont care as long as its running ok while others say it has to be the same engine as the tax book.

Porter

RMS Regular
surely the mot centre shouldnt need be concerned? as long as the cars road legal when it drives,

at the end of the day its not them forking out the moeny if u crash it.

Recovery

Sorry mate, but it's in your best interest to inform your insurance company!

As for the MOT people, they have to ensure the car they inspect is the same as the vehicle listed on the V5, and don't forget if you are involved in an accident and an insurance assessor is sent out, the insurance company will use any excuse not to pay out, you will have given them the perfect reason to keep hold of their money cos you have made a false statement to them, even if you were hit by someone else.

If you do change to a non-standard engine, you will be asked by your insurance company to obtain an engineers report before they will give you a quote. That report will also have to be sent to Coleraine so your V5 is ammended, the car may have to be re-inspected at an MOT centre.

Is it worth the hassle? Buy another car.....

streetcar

MOT will not care if the engine is not wot it is supposed to be so dont worry bout that!

Wot engine u gonna put in?

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
Recovery said:
As for the MOT people, they have to ensure the car they inspect is the same as the vehicle listed on the V5
streetcar said:
MOT will not care if the engine is not wot it is supposed to be so dont worry bout that!

So which is it? Too many conflicting replies

Recovery said:
Is it worth the hassle? Buy another car.....

it is a ****load of hassle and verrry costly!
I'd say in the long run it'll cost you a more with a transplant.

Dermot

Rite, MOT dont give a ****, Unless you get a real p***k of an MOT inspector that spots it... Insurance wont pay out, if you have a accident, But if you have an accident will you be tellin them?

If you buy another Car with the proper engine size on the taxbook, you'll probley be payin twice as much insurance..

What size is the car? I take it that its a clio? If it is, Drop in a R5GTT plant (1.4 Turbo) and just insure it as a 1.4 clio... Then your not tellin any lies

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
and what happens if you have a smash with another person seriously injuring them?? thats basically why we have insurance! :roll:

Dermot

kerzo said:
and what happens if you have a smash with another person seriously injuring them?? thats basically why we have insurance! :roll:

I fail to miss the point here? What does happen? Nothing... If you dont claim for your car an insurance guy usually doesnt come to look at it... The cops dont have a clue (Believe me when I say they cant tell a 1.6 Vaux from a 2.0, or a 1.4 Vaux engine from a 2.5 v6 SAAB engine... Or even better a 1.8 16V from a 1.7 TD...)

And no, Thats not why I have insurance... If I smash into someone I dont want them claiming off me and leaving it so I cant get insurance again... I have insurance to pass the police, if it wasnt LAW, I wouldnt, nor would anyone I know have it!

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
yes i meant it in a different wat dermot :lol:

if i had the choice i wouldnt have insurance either but its only to stay legal! but imagine if you had a smash and really injured someone else and you had a bigger engine than normal and your insurance assessor picked up on this and your insurance co. wouldnt have to act as its now a void insurance policy! you would become bankrupt with the court case ahead of you......maybe i am looking too far into this! :laughing:

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
no you have it spot on. but u caim claim bankruptcy meaning you can never have a back account ever again but u get to pay of your debt to the other person and the court like £10 a week.

and if you reallly get desperate when u get taken to court you automatically find out where the other person lives... so a bit of GTA Vice city style intimidation might persuade them to drop the case.

and i know there is a possibility someone might have been badly injured or killed but its either that or become homeless.

:?: im sure my views are a little too extreme for some.

LOUDclio

OP
LOUDclio
Cheers lads. Its not for the clio but a wee project. I would rather the transplant than buying a car with the engine as its a bit different and no1 will expect ya to beat them. Thanks for ur help. The engines going in anyway!

excursion

Drives
MR2 Rocket
kerzo said:

lol, if your unlucky enough to be in this situation and to have caused it your looking at jail time, and fackin insurance money is the least of your wories.

PS can we get a pick of the car after its done?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Dermot said:
Thats not why I have insurance... If I smash into someone I dont want them claiming off me and leaving it so I cant get insurance again... I have insurance to pass the police, if it wasnt LAW, I wouldnt, nor would anyone I know have it!

I agree with ya there.. If it was optional, i dont even think 10% of people would be insured..

It should be like that far East.. Lowest category of insurance is Pedestrian Liability, cost as much as a tank of fuel.. I mean, how often do ya knock someone over? lol

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It is Lyons.. This just shows how bored i am... lmao

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.