Refused insurance claim

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
There's a lot of talk on the forum at the minute about insurance and declaring modifications. Many 'legal experts' here claim to know what will happen if someone is involved in an accident and something is not declared on their insurance.

I'm not in any way condoning anyone who doesn't declare mods, but I know for a fact that insurance companies have paid claims even if a car is modified and the mods are not declared.

Have any of you actually had a claim refused due to something not being declared on your insurance? If so, what was the mod and what were the consequences?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Like many others, I had a Corsa when I passed my test, was lowered and had an aftermarket exhaust. Rear ended someone and within a few days of the assesor coming to see the car we received a letter stating that Zurich would not be paying out for any of the costs incurred as there were modifications to the car which we did not declare. End of story as far as they were concerned.

So, we were looking at having a written off car previously worth about £6k, another car to pay off and another say £6k in claims to pay aswell. Needless to say my parents shat a brick, got in contact with the underwriters and managed to get to speak to the person responsible in making the final yes or no decision. After nearly three months, numerous pleading phone calls and letters we managed to convince the guy to pay out if we payed the extra ££ that our premium would have been if the mods were declared, I forget how much it was now. We pleaded ignorance that the modifications made did not affect the performance of the car and so didnt need declared.

We were very lucky to get away with it and all my mods are now declared. Its just not worth risking it IMO.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I told them I put alloys on the golf, they just said "We'll take a note of that but get locking wheel nuts", didn't add to the premium but keeps me right. I'm sure the likes of clear indicators and subtle alloys might not affect it too much. Wouldn't like to go the whole route of huge body kit, big exhaust, 17 inch wheels and a 2l engine without declaring it though. coughlikethenovaboyscough

pablo

RMS Moderator
TheLarneMan said:
There's a lot of talk on the forum at the minute about insurance and declaring modifications. Many 'legal experts' here claim to know what will happen if someone is involved in an accident and something is not declared on their insurance.

I'm not in any way condoning anyone who doesn't declare mods, but I know for a fact that insurance companies have paid claims even if a car is modified and the mods are not declared.

Have any of you actually had a claim refused due to something not being declared on your insurance? If so, what was the mod and what were the consequences?

Its one of those things thats better to be wrong on the safe side. I detest paying insurance (in my life Ive probably paid over £10k in insurance Ive never had to use) but its one of those things - the ****ers have us over a barrel so what can u do?

If they will pay out anyway then why do they get you to declare stuff?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeah, i agree. Take this remap caper for example. Although it can be "undone", id still tell the insurance company, as you never know what could happen. Its just not worth the risk for saving a few extra quid, which could cost you thousands in the long run if they dont pay.

I even told admiral about my rear valence (there was an option for it, so i felt i should), but it didnt increas the price by any.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I'm not going to take a chance for the sake out a few quid extra on my policy, I'd rather be out a few hundred quid every year than write off my car and get zero compensation just because I was being tight.

The robbing fookers have it all sewn up.

big cyril

RMS Regular
The potential consequence in NI is particularly bad as the high personal injury claims could be into tens of thousands which you become personally liable for if you are found to have caused an accident.
Next there are court costs and all added up means that an accident in which injury is sustained could land you over a hundred thousand pounds which is not money many of us have lying about.
In many cases this would result in the sale of your house or other property and possibly bankruptcy if you haven't got enough assets.

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
OP
TheLarneMan
Drives
205GTI GolfR
pablo said:
If they will pay out anyway then why do they get you to declare stuff?

I'm not saying that insurance companies will pay out even if something is not declared. I'm saying that I know insurance companies have paid out claims when mods have not been declared.

As everyone agrees, it is not worth the risk.

I am asking, from peoples experience, where the line is drawn.

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
I'd say it all depends on the company, and if they bother to send out someone to assess the cars or not. Each case will be different.

Defo not worth the risk of not declaring mods, as many people have said a lot of mods dont even effect your premium so you have nothing to loose by declaring them. Its worth it even just for peace of mind knowing that you are covered and you are not giving an insurance company opportunity to wriggle out of coughing up. Doesn't take a 'legal expert' to figure that out!. Think a lot of companys are getting a bit more tuned in to mods now though and not demanding too much of an increase in premiums as before.

nicolec2

RMS Regular
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
Slideordie said:
Like many others, I had a Corsa when I passed my test, was lowered and had an aftermarket exhaust. Rear ended someone and within a few days of the assesor coming to see the car we received a letter stating that Zurich would not be paying out for any of the costs incurred as there were modifications to the car which we did not declare. End of story as far as they were concerned.

QUOTE]

same happened with my bf...he got some of the money eventually but not half as much as he should have. he had alloys and a big exhaust on his corsa he was with zurich too. i am with them aswell, i informed them i was gettin alloys and they said yea thats ok until i got them and then they turned round and told me they wont cover them cus theyre 3 sizes bigger and theyd only insure them 2 sizes up ie 16's.

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
OP
TheLarneMan
Drives
205GTI GolfR
Smick said:
I'd say it all depends on the company, and if they bother to send out someone to assess the cars or not. Each case will be different.

I think you are right. But it's a very grey area. I think all cars are assessed, but would it depend upon the size of the claim how thorough they were?

Years ago my Pug was involved in an accident. There was about £1500 of damage. The assessor gave it a quick once over and the claim was settled. The car was quite heavily modified with everything declared.

Recently my Subaru was involved in a bad accident. I had to claim £14700 from the insurance. The assessors examined the car 3 times and the insurance company brought in a private investigator. Thankfully I had nothing to worry about because I was 100% legal but I can imagine the extra stress and grief I would have went through if I wasn't properly covered.

Just a word of warning to anyone making a claim - be very, very carefull what you say in your statements. They tried to twist my words to try to shift the liability. They tried to imply there may have been mechanical failure - apparently this would have shifted responsibility from themselves. Shocking but true.

wiggee

RMS Regular
Drives
4 x 4
one of my cars is a honda civic with various bits on it, i informed the insurenece company everytime i bolted something onto the engine but no drastic increase nothing above £100 ..

bigger brakes , no rise in prem

suspension , slight increase again nothing arm losing afew quid

s/s exhaust no rise

anything like carbon fibre bonnets and bits like that needed explained , but did not make the prem rise either.

so i can run the car safely knowing if my car gets nicked or smashed into that my ins will payout the small amount they can get away with.

I guess each company is different(y) :party: :-# ^o) :cool:

Jonny

RMS Regular
zurich wouldnt insure my vtr lowered hence why it went up the road, policy is now finished with them and now with admiral

they will accept the car being lowered

Jason

RMS Regular
Golf was insured standard... had a accident and i went to my own bodyshop and got a quote made up tweaking a few figures.. insurance company paid out

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
VTS Lad said:
Golf was insured standard... had a accident and i went to my own bodyshop and got a quote made up tweaking a few figures.. insurance company paid out

well thats stupid, what if the insurance company sent someone out to look at the car?

it happened to me but thank god it was before I was into modifying and the car was standard

Lee

RMS Regular
does any body know what quinns are like for modifications, as i know someone wanting to put 15's on a corsa. also, do you you have to declare something as small as an air filter?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.