Regaining a Personal Plate After a Death

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
After failing to get another plate recently I thought I would update this.

I did try to go down the legal route and after getting advice & it turns out I might have had a case, but too much time had elapsed from the car was traded in and in the eyes of the law there was nothing more that could have been done.

During lockdown 2020 while on a walk I seen the plate attached to the dealer principals Kia Stinger GT. It was almost like rubbing it in my face, I was absolutely livid but nothing I could have done. Seems now the plate is back on retention.

Don't think I could stomach going back to try and buy it off him. The other one I opened a case about sold at auction without notifying me, despite numerous emails and chats assuring me that I would be notified. I've had numerous back and forth conversations with the DVLA but I may aswell bang my head against a brick wall. DVLA is a shambles.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
After failing to get another plate recently I thought I would update this.

I did try to go down the legal route and after getting advice & it turns out I might have had a case, but too much time had elapsed from the car was traded in and in the eyes of the law there was nothing more that could have been done.

During lockdown 2020 while on a walk I seen the plate attached to the dealer principals Kia Stinger GT. It was almost like rubbing it in my face, I was absolutely livid but nothing I could have done. Seems now the plate is back on retention.

Don't think I could stomach going back to try and buy it off him. The other one I opened a case about sold at auction without notifying me, despite numerous emails and chats assuring me that I would be notified. I've had numerous back and forth conversations with the DVLA but I may aswell bang my head against a brick wall. DVLA is a shambles.

I know you have had a headache in the past, but it is maybe worth trying the dealership - I say this because if you don’t, you don’t get the plate you want, and if you do, there is a slight chance you might be able to get it. The only problem then will be the price if they are willing. Good luck, and who knows, you might get someone more reasonable in charge this time too.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Since 2018 the plate is likely double the price now 🙈

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
@collyirwin11 as far as I'm aware its the same dealer principle. I doubt he's forgotten about this one. Especially after parading it on his own car. If I ever had the opportunity to speak to him face to face, I don't think I would be able to conduct myself in a way that he would want to sell it to me. I would also hate myself for giving the ballbeg a single penny.

@Ben P You're probably right. The other one I bid on that was quite similar went for modest money to add salt to the wound.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
@TheDaniel I know we are all enthusiasts here and value these things but I would urge you to try and have some perspective

It’s simply a number plate - it really is not going to make any meaningful difference to your life. In the case of the family connection I understand it more but it’s just a “thing” - the memories of the family member are so much more valuable!

When I read your frustration around buying b a house I completely get it - that’s a life changing purchase!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Sometimes you need to take emotion out of the situation and treat it as a business transaction, if it’s something you really want. Standing in front of the dealer going daft isn’t going to achieve anything.

If it was me, and I really wanted the plate, I’d call in and in a friendly way ask if it’s for sale & how much he’d take for it. Bite your tongue and just be pleasant. If you’re not prepared to do that then it’s lost forever and it’s time to move on.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
You're right, I'm 100% not prepared to do that. I don't have the restraint to be nice to him after the way he spoke and treated us. He doesn't deserve my pleasantries nor would I ever hand him any money for anything. This isn't me throwing toys out of the cot, it's more about the principal of the thing.

I'm not under any illusion of what it is I'm going after, I know it's just a number plate. At this point, the actual plate is almost irrelevant. Its the whole scenario that's got me worked up due to the lengths I went to just because someone decided to be d*ck. Even if he offered it to me for a quid, I'd tell him to shove it up his arse.

I made my peace with the fact it's gone and let it go a long time ago, but as I say above, I was just updating as I also had bad luck for the 2nd plate that I went for.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
For those asking, the 2nd plate I was after is definitely gone so I may aswell post it lol .. EKZ46 .. If anyone knows who bought this or where it went, or if its for sale let me know. I'm now waiting on another plate going to auction so would prefer this one. If it appears happy days, if not on to plan C lol

@Todd @Ben P

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
If the family and you have no real personal attachments to that Reg letters and/or numbers, frig it and move on!

Buy another reg, life is too short man 🤙

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
@Ben P the one we had the personal attachment to still resides with the dealer who stole it lol .. The EKZ46 was me moving on, but that was the one they sold on me without notifying me. I've enquired about another, they said it could be 6 to 12 months before it goes to auction in writing but on the phone said they would try to get it into January's auctions.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
@Ben P the one we had the personal attachment to still resides with the dealer who stole it lol .. The EKZ46 was me moving on, but that was the one they sold on me without notifying me. I've enquired about another, they said it could be 6 to 12 months before it goes to auction in writing but on the phone said they would try to get it into January's auctions.

Was it the EKZ or the 46 that drew you toward that one? 🤔😃

If we knew, we could perhaps keep an eye out for you man for other possibilities that may pop up!

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
The original plate was EKZ and I use 46 a lot (Rossi) lol .. its all good. I'll get one!

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3

1664229848854.png

I don’t think these sites are great, but it might be worth enquiring?

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
The hammer price was a lot less than that 😮 .. almost half actually!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'd say £1145 isn't too bad for Reg Transfers actually.

By the time you add fee's onto the hammer price too, you aren't a million miles away.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
@Todd hammer went down at £610 on 13th of September. Which is why I was so annoyed I wasn't notified.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.