Retrim queries

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
Drives
RS Clio 172
I'm thinking of getting my dash re-trimed to give it a bit of "life" when I get my install finished..

Will the airbag still function with a re-trim ?

Not sure yet what to get the dash done in;
Anyone have experinces of alcantara "wearing" on dashboards?

Cheers
Trev

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
the airbag would be covered. and i`m assuming if it deploys then it`ll be restricted by the material over it.

a trimmer may be able to "weaken" the fabric by possibly stiching over the airbag area with a machine, but not using a thread so as to make small holes in the fabric and therefore weakening it.

i dont know how this would fair at MOT depending if u get a mini hitler or not.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Why not just get it trimmed and leave the airbag un-covered...?

Would add a bit of contrast, and leave you right come MOT time, or in the event of an accident...

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
i`m going based on the car beside the user name but on a clio dash for example it would look utter **** as the airbag is behind the dash, and the dash in front of it is smooth so the bag isnt noticable and a large rectangle of trim missing would look ganch.

the one on the teg is totally separate fromt he dash, it can be unbolted from below and removed leaving a rectangular hole in the dash which allows me to trim it and replace the airbag untrimmed and still fully functioning... however again a large black rectangle would look utter gay.

only way really would be to trim it and turn off the passenger airbag.. which afaik is do-able in a clio using a wee key thingy. I dont see why that wouldnt work.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
on another note, a clio dash is handy trimmed as the top of it lifts right out of the car without having to remove the entire dash.. which is a big big big help

Krisclio ( SQD )

RMS Trader
Drives
Megane dci130
this is true the wee things fall apart, so not much labour in removing it, but you could probably do that bit yourself.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
tbh i`d give it a go doing the whole thing myself.

i did my a-pillars (tho i ****ed up the glue cuz i was in a hurry, so a wee bit lifted, but easy fixed), and i`m gonna do my b, c pillars and roof cloth, or carbon the b and c pillar trims

ewok

RMS Regular
only way really would be to trim it and turn off the passenger airbag.. which afaik is do-able in a clio using a wee key thingy. I dont see why that wouldnt work.[/QUOTE]

only in the 02 on clios and the clio mentioned got the leather retrimmed by jamie shaw at carisma which was well worth the grand i payed

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
? what does the leather being retrimmed by jamie shaw have anything to do with the dashboard?

if the airbag cant be turned off then id just disconnect it, or not bother my arse because i`m pretty sure black alcantara will fade something shocking in the sun :worried:

ewok

RMS Regular
OLLIeCrX said:
? what does the leather being retrimmed by jamie shaw have anything to do with the dashboard?

if the airbag cant be turned off then id just disconnect it, or not bother my arse because i`m pretty sure black alcantara will fade something shocking in the sun :worried:

carisma also retrimmed michael flynns civic dash and all no bother and looks the part i am saying if you take it out and get it done it will look the doggs basicly i am saying go for leather tigger

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
aye but the problem is the airbag on the clio. surely the airbag on the clio is under the dash like most. so if you retrim over it and it deploys it will **** the trimming on the dash and probably cause more damage to the passenger which would affect mot and insurance. Thats all i`m saying.

i have no doubt it would look the dogs, i`ve looked into making a full carbon dash for the teg as its possible to do it and leave he airbag unobstructed.

the advantage a renault would have is they all have those bloody annoying metallic front windscreens to prevent UV rays damaging the interior, so this would prolong the life of the material used

ewok

RMS Regular
OLLIeCrX said:
aye but the problem is the airbag on the clio. surely the airbag on the clio is under the dash like most. so if you retrim over it and it deploys it will **** the trimming on the dash and probably cause more damage to the passenger which would affect mot and insurance. Thats all i`m saying.

i have no doubt it would look the dogs, i`ve looked into making a full carbon dash for the teg as its possible to do it and leave he airbag unobstructed.

the advantage a renault would have is they all have those bloody annoying metallic front windscreens to prevent UV rays damaging the interior, so this would prolong the life of the material used

how do mercs porkers etc have leather dashs steering wheels the airbag will always come out no matter what they have tiny perferated holes across the middle so when the airbag charge gos off the leather rips

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
i`m sorry....did i not state exactly the same thing in the 2nd post in the topic... to which no one paid attention.

also those dash boards are factory made like that, they dont have regular vinyl or whatever the hell it is over the dash then a load of leather slapped on. The clio dash is designed from the factory to break in that area when deployed, so therefore even if its covered and weakened as I stated earlier, the area has been altered and this may affect performance in an impact.

the same way as sharing bolt holes for seatbelts and harnesses may put more stress on a certain point of a bolt, resulting in it failing in an impact.

personally it makes no difference to me if it works or not, but it may to a passenger in the car

-Pete-

RMS Regular
for flocks sake! :laughing:

couldnt help it...

flocking is cool though and you can do it yourself ;)

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
ah right (y)

The black vinyl would be cool if the airbag bit could be weakenked somehow - no doubt there are ways of doing it?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
leave the dash trev

get the colour coded inserts done like mine in what ever colour of alacantra

ive the dash inserts and handbrake cover done

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Thats the subtle-but-easy way Andy - and it will look the same as all the rest of those Clio's running around the place, something I'm trying to avoid

STE_vie

RMS Regular
i heard on another forum that flocking eventuallu evaporates. not sure if thats correct or not?? nebody know the answer???
if thats true dont like the thought of that so am now thinkin of alcantara ing my dash..

-Pete-

RMS Regular
evaporates!???lol! i wouldnt think so ;)

flocking is tiny pieces of nylon or the like which are "glued" to the item

Its a wierd device that you connect to the item being flocked and it gives the glue a negative charge, then the flock gets a positive charge and it just joins together all on its own.. Tis a wierd thing to see,but works wonders.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.