seizing cars for undeclared mods ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
One aspect of this that has been missed by most is the fact that insurance companies base their premiums on risk profile.
As well as having to cover the additional costs of modifications, insurers inevitably take the view that someone who modifies their car is more likely to drive it in a way that results in higher claims levels.
I assume that this is based on claims history rather than speculation - these companies generally analyse every aspect of risk.
So I suppose the bottom line is, if you want cheap insurance, stick to standard cars. If you want to modify the car, factor in the increased premium before deciding whether you can afford to do it.

From Greenlight website:

"Are modified car drivers better Insurance risks?

At Greenlight Insurance our target market is that of the vehicle enthusiast and modified car drivers are very much the type of risks that we look to cover.
The Greenlight view of modified vehicle owners is somewhat different to that of most mainstream Insurers’. We firmly believe drivers that spend money to improve their vehicle have a vested interest in their car.
By spending money to improve and maintain their vehicle we view policyholders that modify their car as people who take pride in and care about their vehicle."

So they seem to take the opposite view. I'm guessing they've done some research too.

rybo

RMS Regular
how can you say that what mods i have listed arnt or any consequence to the police ,a modification is a modification how can you categorize?

you say thats theres nothing "grey area" about it tho lets face some facts here there are plenty of loop holes in our laws its just a matter of finding out what they are and exploiting that fact.

you still didnt answer the other question ,what happens if its at a time when the insurance company is closed?

Seems like you just want an argument. If you want to go loophole hunting go ahead. Let us know how you get on exploiting them.

If the insurance company is closed, the chances are they'll be open first thing next morning. Police contact them then & carry on with procedure.

Mtrhd0024

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford Bronco II
Thank **** we don't have rules like this in America... I don't have to declare any mods to my insurer, bar major changes like installing a V8 in a car with a V6 or something. So if I install a 5.0 V8 in my Bronco, I'll probably ring them up, but if I put a 4.0 V6 in to replace the 2.9, I don't have to bother. Exhaust, wheels, lowering, intake's, the insurance could care less.

As far as I know, they'll even cover the mods if I wreck the car, i.e. I wreck and destroy my $2,000 wheels, they'll pay for em, as long as the total value of the car and mods is less than I'm insured for.

I can understand having to notify the insurance of some mods, such as an engine change or a turbo or something, but seriously, as much as you might like to think your K&N filter gives you an additional 53bhp to the front wheels of your 1.0 Corsa, it won't make a flying ****'s worth of a difference, so I don't know why they even care. Same goes for alloys and a backbox. "Oooohh, I gained an extra 0.3bhp due to my cherrybomb." Big whoop! Spose its just a different system, but it is still a bit of a ripoff!!

PhilM

RMS Regular
i think the law should be changed to make it legal to modify your car as much as you please performance wise so long as it passes MOT.

maybe make MOT tighter and that would catch alot of the tits with the stupid/dangerous out.

or if you are stopped and the police think your car is different from what would pass mot they can force you to retake your mot test.

ripoff in my opinion.

Phil

Mtrhd0024

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford Bronco II
i think the law should be changed to make it legal to modify your car as much as you please performance wise so long as it passes MOT.

maybe make MOT tighter and that would catch alot of the tits with the stupid/dangerous out.

or if you are stopped and the police think your car is different from what would pass mot they can force you to retake your mot test.

ripoff in my opinion.

Phil

lol yea, that would be a better idea. although even still, here we only have to pass a inspection, which can be done at almost any local garage. It consists of some plonker poking round my car for a few minutes to check that its got 4 wheels, an engine, and something remotely resembling headlights.

I don't even have to pass an exhaust sniffer test since my car is more than 10 years old, they just do a visual to make sure the cat is still there. Which is easy to overcome with a dummy cat.

The newer cars that have a diagnostic port get plugged into a computer at the inspection station, and then that tells the inspector whether the car passes or not. If it throws a code (i.e. the cats are missing, its running rich, lean, etc) your car will fail. So with a bit of ingenious computer manipulation bobbery, your car will pass emissions no matter whats under the hood! :p

Or I can just take it to one of my buddies who works at an inspection station, and he'll pass it for a raincheck on a beer. :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.