Selling Car to the South

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Mrs. Deezer scar is for sale and someone from the South came to view. She agreed a price and the buyers would like to pick up this weekend. They mentioned bankers draft as payment method but she said she'd need to talk to me first.

So, questions -

Is it safe?
Would a bank transfer not work from a Southern account?
What precautions do I take?
I'm assuming the car is being exported so do I fill in the export section, send it to Swansea and give them the remainder of the V5?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
D

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Costs alot more for them to buy a car from up here, NCT, VRT and VAT they've to pay I think as its from outside EU

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Not necessarily.

I'd be telling them to bring cash just.

They can bring cash, I'd prefer to pay it in over the counter with them present but they can't do it Saturday morning just Friday evening or Sunday. Don't want to be left with dud notes and the car away down South. The internet has just made me sceptical of everyone!

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
They can bring cash, I'd prefer to pay it in over the counter with them present but they can't do it Saturday morning just Friday evening or Sunday. Don't want to be left with dud notes and the car away down South. The internet has just made me sceptical of everyone!

Can they bank transfer? Usually it only takes a couple of hours MAX, providing if both banks have been informed that it's coming/going.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Can they bank transfer? Usually it only takes a couple of hours MAX, providing if both banks have been informed that it's coming/going.
Don't seem to want to do a BT. They reckon it takes a few days to clear and there's a daily limit. The amount is under 8K so not sure how they come to that conclusion.
I'm not really happy with receiving a draft - the keys will not be handed over until funds have cleared.
That just leaves BT or come with me to the bank to lodge cash.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Wait, where's outside the EU? Both the UK and Ireland are in the EU.
In the thread I linked it mentioned UK as outside of EU for the VAT thing. Not sure what the age criteria of the vehicle is or anything though

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
If its sterling its no odds, but why not take Euros out of interest?
Just the ballache of getting them changed with the holidays coming up. The new car is due in on 23rd December for January collection so its just easier to have the money in the bank and pay for the new car by switch at the dealer.

I'd also be wary of accepting that amount of Euros

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
In the thread I linked it mentioned UK as outside of EU for the VAT thing. Not sure what the age criteria of the vehicle is or anything though

Hmmm ok, so this is where all the fuss is coming from in regards to VRT being illegal, then.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I'd be happy with sterling cash, never had any problems depositing straight into the bank or building society, as they dont check the notes!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Costs alot more for them to buy a car from up here, NCT, VRT and VAT they've to pay I think as its from outside EU

No it doesn't. Cars work out at roughly 20% cheaper if you can keep them registered in the north for 2 years, prove ownership and then transfer for free. Loads of people in the border counties drive northern cars.

Source: lived in a border county .... Until I dug a tunnel from Mexico into Texasderry

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
No it doesn't. Cars work out at roughly 20% cheaper if you can keep them registered in the north for 2 years, prove ownership and then transfer for free. Loads of people in the border counties drive northern cars.

Source: lived in a border county .... Until I dug a tunnel from Mexico into Texasderry

How can you do that if the seller completes the export section of the V5?

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
You cant if the seller completes the export section. Usually they just buy it as a northern buyer and don't use the export section.

They are doing it the proper way if they are filling out the export section ..... and tbh, its probably cheaper for them to buy it properly up here anyway. Most things in the south (except diesel) are more expensive than up here.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Just bumping this for a bit of info re the V5 cert.

I sold my wifes car yesterday to a fella from Galway, we filled in the V5 as normal and i am going to send the remainder off to swansea. Just wondering if there is a different proceedure ie is it like exporting the car permanently and should i give him the full V5.I have tried to get throught to swansea all morning but they are useless. Thanks

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Just bumping this for a bit of info re the V5 cert.

I sold my wifes car yesterday to a fella from Galway, we filled in the V5 as normal and i am going to send the remainder off to swansea. Just wondering if there is a different proceedure ie is it like exporting the car permanently and should i give him the full V5.I have tried to get throught to swansea all morning but they are useless. Thanks

What did you do in the end @Burt2000?

I sold the A6 to a guy from Dublin on Saturday and when the V5 comes through with the old reg I've to post it off to him. He said about posting the full thing, but what way does that leave me? How do I declare that I don't own it any longer?

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
What did you do in the end @Burt2000?

I sold the A6 to a guy from Dublin on Saturday and when the V5 comes through with the old reg I've to post it off to him. He said about posting the full thing, but what way does that leave me? How do I declare that I don't own it any longer?

Do the change of ownership online, there are options to say you have sold it to the trade/private/export just like the book options.

They will then tell you that you can get rid of the book but you can just send it to him