So my trolley jack has shat itself...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Plenty of wanted threads on here, but I'm looking to get a decent new one. I've been reading up on the SGS website (http://www.sgs-engineering.com/) some nice looking models on there. Just looking some information on what other people are using and where you got it from? Maybe save a bit on postage and get it from a local motor factors or the like?

Ideally it'll only be a 1-2 tonne one, don't want to be overbuying a better model that's just overkill. Would like it to have the rubber pad for protecting the sills, either that or room to fire a hockey puck in with a groove cut out. Plus it'll have to have a good long handle as I'm sick of using the short handle on the one I've got currently.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I just bought a Sealey lightweight aluminium racing one but thats because I will be trailing it to tracks etc so the weight makes a big difference. Well built though and low entry etc too, around £120ish for the 1.5 tonne, you can also get a 1.25 tonne which might be cheaper.

Reactions: dub

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
I could be interested in halving the postage from sgs, if you're interested?

What were you planning on getting buddy? I may be getting sorted at Colin Adams.

RCT

RMS Regular
If budget is no object then get a weber jack. Expensive yes, but brilliant jack and wish I bought one years ago, rather than dealing with burst seals on cheap seally jacks! What I spent on seally jacks I could of had a weber.

Proper handle that releases properly and low entry high lift.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Could be tempted by an engine stand! Like RCT ive also a weber/ac jack. Super bit of kit, bought second hand from this very forum. I'll not mention how little it cost.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Despite being a tool brand whore, I love my Clarke alloy 1.25 tonne jack.

Nice low entry, but as with any of the low entry alloy jacks, I had to rebuild it using plenty of threadlock as the hardware tends to work loose fairly quickly.

I got one for Will about 4 years ago and it gets daily abuse and is yet to fail. I've jacked up the four corners of the Vivaro with mine with no issues.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I got this jack from snap on.

Fast lift in only 3/4 pumps when unloaded

Those lightweight alloy jacks aren't really any good unless you need to carry it about tbh your much better with a good heavy duty jack.

As the name of it, it's a bit of a beast. Bigger than it looks in photo but not ridiculous

I choose this over the blue point one as it seemed far better built and has 2 large pistons rather than one

1C4856C3-D320-44E0-9B7C-D9C85E82EAB7-6724-00000294FF9A6716.jpg

82E930F5-DED0-459A-B984-6F4067F912F0-6740-00000295D1EEAE95.jpg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA

Those lightweight alloy jacks aren't really any good unless you need to carry it about tbh your much better with a good heavy duty jack.

As the name of it, it's a bit of a beast. Bigger than it looks in photo but not ridiculous

I choose this over the blue point one as it seemed far better built and has 2 large pistons rather than one

You are right about the alloy ones in general they arent built for all day every day abuse but for occasional use, especially if its at the track etc they are great.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Damn....I appear to have jack envy!

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI

A Friend has the blue point low entry, and its great. Has had near daily abuse for 2 years now.

Would have one myself in a heartbeat.

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars

Did you get that in halfords :p

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I wouldn be any jack from halfords
i'd be lookin at a brand name, sealey, draper etc....
mines a 2ton sealey, low entry jack, £100

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi

Our jack is very similar to that except a sealey and its a beast. Photo makes it look normal sized but its huge, and gives great height.
We have the alu jack as well, which was good for trackdays and getting under our low cars but the height wasnt great and then the seals burst anyway.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Thought I'd mention that I threw the head up and went to halfrauds. Picked up a low profile one for the craic.

The postage from SGS was around £15 so I thought f*** thon!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379797986606.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379797986606.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 307

corsacj

RMS Regular
Thought I'd mention that I threw the head up and went to halfrauds. Picked up a low profile one for the craic.

The postage from SGS was around £15 so I thought f*** thon!

whats its minimum height mate? I dont need my trolley jack too often but scissor jack barely fits under the car now even when I drive up on some wood/a brick lol. Just looking something to throw in the boot should I need to use the spare

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
whats its minimum height mate? I dont need my trolley jack too often but scissor jack barely fits under the car now even when I drive up on some wood/a brick lol. Just looking something to throw in the boot should I need to use the spare

9cm-36cm buddy.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I just bought a Blue Point Baby Beast 2 ton low entry a couple of weeks ago, and have since ordered another 1. They're a fantastic jack with a great range (approx 2.5" up to 20" from memory) and a very quick lift.

Cheaper than the Sealey equivalent too (y)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
My jack is leaking oil and I need a replacement.

Are there any decent ones for around the £30 odd mark or not? I don't want to be spending £100 as it rarely gets used. Ideally I'm hoping to get a 4 post lift when we get the garage built too, so don't need anything fancy.

I haven't really looked at mine, but like other hydraulic things, would there be some sort of plug that would allow me to refill it with oil and continue using? I'd rather have a new one anyway, but if theres nothing cheap then it may be my only option to fix mine.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Halfrauds had some 2T at £30 and £40 last time I was in, not sure if they're any good though

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.