Speed Camera On M5 Causing Carnage

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Just to warn you guys our intelligent traffic branch have put a meat wagon in the outside lane of the m5 where there are road works. Sitting 50m behind where the roadworks make it a 50 rather than 70, helpfully causing absolute havoc as everyone stand on their brakes probably too late. Nearly caused an absolute pile up in front of me, interesting method of improving road safety....

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
That's true but most right minded people would slow gradually from 70 to 50 rather than slamming on theeir brakes as soon as they see the van. Anyone not a fair distance back and 100% on the ball could be in diffs.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Yeah I agree Pablo..could cause worse carnage if the 5-0 wasn't making everyone slow down as everyone (me included) tend to ignore road works speed limits....

pablo

RMS Moderator
feck Im no angel either but if you cant spot a camera van youre not likely to spot a worker etc.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I passed this during lunch, there's no temporary speed limit sign and the overhead speed limits aren't on to incidcate a change of the limit. So does it mean its still 70? (Oh god Im hoping it means its still 70)

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Dont know about boss of gloss.i got 3 point for doing 78 in a temporary 40 on the a1 past banbridge.but that was 3 years ago last week (not that I'm counting.lol). That may have changed by now tho...

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Yeh there was nothing on the boards and there was a 50 on a stand but I think the first one was level if not behind the van. Fwiw I was doing 70 until I saw the van and then promptly slowed to 50. Hopefully there wasnt a sign 100m previous or even dirtier (and I doubt they would do) shoot me doing 70 in a 70 and claim it was in the 50.
Either way I nearly was wearing an x5 as earrings after putting the brakes on

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Think I'm screwed :worried: I was in the far right lane seen the cones and overtook a Range Rover before it merged, then spotted the van after. Traffic was fairly busy for the time :worried:

Gambit

RMS Regular
you must have missed the small blue sign saying police speed check alert - its on the far left handside of the 5 lanes between the 800yd & 600yd roadworks marker boards.

easy to spot...not! i only seen it cause i was in that lane heading up to dargan

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Of course that's the logic
you must have missed the small blue sign saying police speed check alert - its on the far left handside of the 5 lanes between the 800yd & 600yd roadworks marker boards.

easy to spot...not! i only seen it cause i was in that lane heading up to dargan
Of course that's the logical place for it, in completely different direction to where they are 'checking' if I hadve seen it I wouldn't have been going any slower anyway as I didn't see any 50 signs until level with the van. Knowing my luck there was a 6 inch high one a 1/4 mile back

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Of course that's the logic
Of course that's the logical place for it, in completely different direction to where they are 'checking' if I hadve seen it I wouldn't have been going any slower anyway as I didn't see any 50 signs until level with the van. Knowing my luck there was a 6 inch high one a 1/4 mile back
There definatley wasn't any indication from where you join the M2 at Yorkgate of a temporary speed limit :worried:

I'll up date you lot on my situation in a week or two LOL

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
There are plenty of warnings along the outside lane if joining from Sydnam Bypass direction. Not sure about any others. Having said that, the workmen have a nice temp concrete wall protecting them, so not 100% sure why they need a 50 too?

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Was none joining from York street. Oh well will have to wait and see. If worst comes to eat an indicated 70 is probably 63 which I wouldn't like to think is more than 3 points. Might even getting that stupid driving school thing

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Well I guess it makes a change. Sounds like this time the speed check is actually when workers might be in the area.

All of the speed traps I seen on the A1 last year were in the evening when there were no workers about. Weird that.

Although whatever they are doing on the M2/M5, it's causing bloody traffic chaos.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Roadworks to continue for 10 WEEKS , major upgrade to
the central reservation. There was no 50mph signs joining
from york st at lunchtime but they were in place when i passed
again at 4 oclock ,at 50 ish cos id seen the speedchq wagon at
lunctime. It looked to me more of a visual deterrent than an
operating speedcheck ,bein 1st day of roadworks an all .

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
50mph signs clearly visible along the stretch of road as well as on the electric signs above the motorway - no speed cameras at 18.30 on the way to carrick!

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
I guess they had more sense than to do it during rush hour. Wish the electric ones hadve been on at lunch. Will just have to wait for the post for a while and see, not much else for it.

gmcbride

RMS Regular
Drives
MK6 Jetta
yeh saw it at lunch time, pretty sure it was well sign posted for 50mph nd for speed camera too tho i always still worry after I pass them lol Was sitting on the hard shoulder opposite city airport on the side going into Belfast on my way back home around 4ish too

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I didn't see any temp speed limits around 12:50 yesterday, joining at Yorkgate there was nothing and along the M2 there was nothing to indicate work, just the cones merging the outside M5-bound lane. Then on my home about 5:15 everywhere you look on the hard shoulders theres temp speed limit signs, Free Recovery signs and the electronic signs.............WTF?! Actually raging, if I get fined for doing 70 in a 50 I haven't a leg to stand on, how am I gonna prove that! FML F*ckin joke.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.