Speeding in the South?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
I had an amusing incident recently coming out of Dublin Airport, on the link road up to the M1 junction/RB the Gards where sitting at the top near the RB in the far right hand lane (its three or four lanes there and I was in the left hand one to head onto the M1 for Belfast).

I dunno what the speed limit is there? Its maybe 50/60kph and I was doing more than that. I didnt see the Gards at the top doing a speed check.
As I approached the lights at the top of that road just before joining the M1 to Belfast this female Garda starts gesticulating wildly and pointing at me to stop. Bare in mind she is in the far right hand lane and I am in the far left hand lane just about to join the M1. The lights were green onto the M1 and there were cars behind me so I reckoned it wasnt a safe place to stop so I looked at her and lifted my up turned hands in the air, shrugged my shoulders and drove on lol.

I reckoned if they wanted me that bad they would come after me, but they didnt bother. They probably thought it wasnt worth chasing a Northern car and thats kinda why i took the calculated risk of not stopping lol.

Has anyone been caught down South for speeding and what was the outcome?

I know they cant put points on a Northern Ireland/Uk licence because they cannot agree how to do it lol.

Last edited:

Conor

RMS Regular
My OH lived in dublin last year so I was up and down all the time, it was completely hilarious how rare it was to see a NI reg car doing less than 90.

I always thought the Garda were able to do something meaningful until I heard a radio show debating it a week or two ago, apparently they can do very little worth chatting about. Seems mad considering how much traffic there would be crossing over in both directions!

Derekm

RMS Regular
OP
Derekm
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
I thought they could fine drivers from the north but no points. Maybe they cant even impose a fine?

Derekm

RMS Regular
OP
Derekm
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
They can fine you ...... and summons you, but cant put points on your license.
Thats what I though. Wonder if anyone has any experiences of a fine or summons?

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Judging by how far over you were from them and how busy it sounded I'll be surprised if they wrote your reg down! Lol

Derekm

RMS Regular
OP
Derekm
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
Judging by how far over you were from them and how busy it sounded I'll be surprised if they wrote your reg down! Lol
I dunno if they got my reg or not, it was over two weeks ago now. Dont expect I will hear anything thou.....

Steve C

RMS Regular
I travel down fairly regularly and have been stopped twice, both times they told me slow it down a bit and sent me on my way. Nice chaps they were as well.

garyo

RMS Regular
The cloak of invincibility that is the northern reg! It's funny coming up the M1 passing all the southern reg cars, then them returning the favour as soon as you cross the border!

I work across the border so be over nearly every day. I go by what has already been said above...they can pull you and fine you (unsure about the summons part) but can't impose points and sure as **** can't post anything out to you. Even then with the fine, as with the summons, I'd say it's up to yourself if you want to do anything about it. Same with parking tickets and even the M50 toll I think.

I've gone past many a 'Safety Van' since they brought them in a year or two back and they can definitely do nout. Have never been stopped myself but the brother was on an airport run a couple of years back and got the same as above, and he was hammering it on empty roads on boxing day or something, told to wise up and slow down.

The whole driving thing in the republic seems about ten steps behind the north to be honest. The points came system came in years later, same with the speed vans, some of their insurance practices, both vehicle and driver testing etc. Not sure what the situation is now, but even up to a few years ago it must have been one of the only countries in the world you could drive to your test, on your own, in your own car, fail it and so essentially be told you're not fit to drive, and jump back in your car, on your own, and continue on your merry way until the next time you went for the test!

Have a right few stories about the competence of the Gardaí, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a thread on here specifically for that!

PeteM

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat CC
Of course they can post the fine out to you if your pulled over.

I believe the court cannot summons outside of its jurisdiction.

Derekm

RMS Regular
OP
Derekm
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
Yeah been down the M50 a few times and never registered or paid a thing.
Your right though, as soon as I cross the border back into NI the cruise control is knocked back a bit lol.
I also never slow down for that fixed camera (grey one with lines painted on the road) on the way down the M1 towards Dublin. Doesnt matter what speed you pass it at it never flashes...lol

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
both vehicle and driver testing etc. Not sure what the situation is now, but even up to a few years ago it must have been one of the only countries in the world you could drive to your test, on your own, in your own car, fail it and so essentially be told you're not fit to drive, and jump back in your car, on your own, and continue on your merry way until the next time you went for the test!

Id say a quarter of cars up here wouldn't pass an NCT. Its twice as severe as the MOT in my experience.

You always had to be accompanied by someone with a full drivers license when on your provisional license ...... I know I did anyway and I done my test 10 years ago now.

garyo

RMS Regular
Of course they can post the fine out to you if your pulled over.

I was more on about the vans not posting you any tickets the way we'd get them from ours (even though it's a private company run the vans, not the Gardai themselves), but to be honest I didn't even think they'd post anything out if they pulled you, just assumed they'd give you whatever penalty notice you were due on the spot and you could decide what to do with it yourself from there. Learn something new every day! So I take it they get your details either from your licence, or in the unfortunate scenario you didn't have it on you at the time, they'd be relying on your honesty?

You guys hear about the mysterious case of Ireland's most wanted driver a few years back, 'Mr Prawo Jazdy'?! Was wanted for motoring offences all over the country...turned out Prawo Jazdy is polish for 'Driving Licence', it was just the first two words on the licence that the Gards recorded thinking it was the drivers name!

Id say a quarter of cars up here wouldn't pass an NCT. Its twice as severe as the MOT in my experience.

You always had to be accompanied by someone with a full drivers license when on your provisional license ...... I know I did anyway and I done my test 10 years ago now.

But the NCT still lasts for 3 years doesn't it? I know they've made it a hell of a lot more rigorous over this past few years, but some of the stuff that you see on the roads is shocking. Suppose a lot of damage can be done in 3 years!

As for the test, I've never done one in the republic but L drivers on their own is something that mustn't be enforced too hard because they're everywhere. I vaguely remember something about there being 3 different provisionals or permits...supposed to be accompanied on your first, if you failed your test you got your second provisional and didn't need accompanied, if you failed a second time you got your third and were back to needing company again. Could be wrong on that too though with no personal experience!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I vaguely remember something about there being 3 different provisionals or permits...supposed to be accompanied on your first, if you failed your test you got your second provisional and didn't need accompanied!

Actually, you are right. I forgot about that, never affected me.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
As for the test, I've never done one in the republic but L drivers on their own is something that mustn't be enforced too hard because they're everywhere. I vaguely remember something about there being 3 different provisionals or permits...supposed to be accompanied on your first, if you failed your test you got your second provisional and didn't need accompanied, if you failed a second time you got your third and were back to needing company again. Could be wrong on that too though with no personal experience!

Got rid of that a few years back.

avo5021

RMS Regular
I'm presuming they can do in their jurisdiction the same as we can.

Up here we cannot issue a "non-resident" with a Fixed Penalty Notice however we can deal with them by means of a Prosecution where they receive a Summons to attend court.

A "Foreign Licence Holder" can be issued a Fixed Penalty Notice if they are residing here.

If the circumstance dictates all persons can be arrested and charged overnight to attend the next available court (next morning or after weekend) regardless of resident or visitor etc.

Derekm

RMS Regular
OP
Derekm
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
They must have decided it wasnt worth the hasle to chase after me lol.
And it seems even if they did stop someone and issue a summons, not much happens if you throw it in the bin and forget about it lol.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
I got points and a fine. I, eh, lost it and never heard back from them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.