Speeding in the South?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Yeah been down the M50 a few times and never registered or paid a thing.
Your right though, as soon as I cross the border back into NI the cruise control is knocked back a bit lol.
I also never slow down for that fixed camera (grey one with lines painted on the road) on the way down the M1 towards Dublin. Doesnt matter what speed you pass it at it never flashes...lol

It does and has flashed me in the past.

Not willing to divulge what speed I was doing but I never heard anything back from it.

Derekm

RMS Regular
OP
Derekm
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
It does and has flashed me in the past.

Not willing to divulge what speed I was doing but I never heard anything back from it.
Hasn't flashed me, and it should have many times lol.

finlay harp

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A6
If you are from the North and get caught over 100mph the Guards will most likely arrest you and put you in front of the next available court. Have heard of it happening.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
They don't even catch southern reg cars I was down years ago in the outside lane doing (insert speed here) and had a southern reg'd car about two inches off my bumper flashing and beeping to move on i let him pass and he went by as if i wasn't moving.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Bumping up an old thread here instead of starting a new one.

Asking for a family friend here(genuinely!), basically caught speeding near Dublin, got the letter through with the fine and stating 2 points on ROI license etc, and they've paid the fine an all.

Question is when the insurance asks come renewal time have you any motoring convictions, does this have to be declared or not legally?

KillerJim

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 / TVR
Asking for a family friend here(genuinely!), basically caught speeding near Dublin, got the letter through with the fine and stating 2 points on ROI license etc, and they've paid the fine an all.

Question is when the insurance asks come renewal time have you any motoring convictions, does this have to be declared or not legally?

Quick question, the person who was caught speeding - they had a ROI license?

KillerJim

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 / TVR
Ah ok.. so if they had a ROI license it was 2 points, but as they don't - then it's just a fine.

I assume it's still not a legal requirement to pay? (difference jurisdiction?)

It's a tricky subject the insurance company, they expect you to disclose everything to them that is material fact to the issuing of insurance. Personally I'd ask the question without giving over any identifying information (call their support line)..

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Ah ok.. so if they had a ROI license it was 2 points, but as they don't - then it's just a fine.

I assume it's still not a legal requirement to pay? (difference jurisdiction?)

It's a tricky subject the insurance company, they expect you to disclose everything to them that is material fact to the issuing of insurance. Personally I'd ask the question without giving over any identifying information (call their support line)..

Yeah it's a strange one as even though they were caught and the letter sent out, they weren't actually 'convicted' so to speak. They did pay the fine though, which I suppose in itself is an admission of guilt lol.

I'll maybe phone on their behalf and ask the question, or even ask my own insurers and see what they say.

CHARLIE11

RMS Regular
Drives
like a nutta
I got caught speeding down south just outside port loaise - got the letter thru with a fine and stating that I 'could' rec penalty points and if I didn't pay the fine could also be arrested if caught over the boarder again (number plate) so I drove to port loaise police station where the letter said I had to go - gave my fine paperwork to the guard on the front desk - who laughed at me, said he couldn't believe I actually drove all the way down to pay for it - ripped it up and sent me on my way.. I sh1t u not, true story

johnm

RMS Regular
I've been pulled over once for it, fine & letter stated points but as said, its ROI points. Means absolutely nothing to your UK licence and you do not need to declare them.
I didn't pay the fine, no court summons came of it either.

That was two years ago and nothing has changed since then.

Its our Mexico! lol!

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Was caught a couple of years ago, imagine my shock when he showed me the hair dryer and it was reading 136 and I was in the van. It took a second for me to remember KMs lol.

2 points on a ghost licence and €80 fine which I paid in a post office down there.

Best bit was when he said it was just too fast for a Sunday.

johnm

RMS Regular
Was caught a couple of years ago, imagine my shock when he showed me the hair dryer and it was reading 136 and I was in the van. It took a second for me to remember KMs lol.

Mine was in the Skyline on the M7(I think), south side of Dub, and was a bit more than that when converted :oops:
When i went past him I knew it was high up there and for a minute I thought about not backing off and keep going. Then the thought of a road block ending in vanishing point style had me catch on lol.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I can remember coming home from Galway one night, 2 or so years ago, and blasting past a garda car on one of the ramps on the m6. Didn't even see him, just noticed a flash of the cars stickers as it went past doing 90+mph and they never started their car. Must've seen the northern plate and decided the paperwork wasn't worth the hassle.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I'd a guard step out from behind a sign, speed gun in hand and wave me down years ago outside Dundalk. I asked him why he stopped me and not the southern reg car in front of me that was doing the same speed. "Just get the f*ck out of my sight" were his exact words. He didn't need to ask twice.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Until the next time you get pulled over, thrown in the back of a Fiat Panda and then beaten with a rubber hose for a few hours.

I wasn't joking about that by the way, although the incident was alcohol related and it was out West where they're a different breed altogether.

johnm

RMS Regular
Was on the news yesterday that those planks in stormont were giving off about loosing £900,000 for their bun fund to foreign vehicles speeding.

Wish they'd go back arguing over who's Road they can't walk down this year.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.