Start of the EV Hot Hatch race?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
VW ID3 GTX with 322bhp

1710414443757.png

I am sure there are other cars out in the market now with similar power outputs. Is the Tesla M3P considered a hot hatch or saloon?

What else is there in this territory? Cupra Born? Think it only has 200-220bhp

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Interesting few years ahead for this EV segment.

My take on a hot hatch is driver involvement, connection, that feeling of it being ‘nimble’ on the road. EV’s don’t seem to offer any of that.

Similar to what Nigel said on the latest Sold as Seen pod () where the RS6 he had was amazingly fast, comfortable etc. but missed the GTI.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Car magazine seemed to really like the engagement on the ioniq5 N.

Basically made it artificially mimic an ICE car but even though fake seemed to sorta work.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
The Ioniq 5 N wins that list hands down.

Can you call that a hot hatch? They're bloody big, more like a hot 2.2 ton SUV? Bit odd to compare it to an RS6 @ £100k, I think you could count on one hand the number of people who are in the market for an RS6 that would instead buy a £65k Hyundai EV? You buy an RS because it makes your arse twitch every time you press the start button, no EV is ever going to replace that in my opinion.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
An EV race or rally series for saloon cars would help push this along.
Or maybe there is one already, I don't know?

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Hot hatch race to the bottom of residual values, more like it. Its just clever marketing to appeal to petrol heads who are on the fence about the ev generation

Nobody buys a brand new car any more. Lease and you don't care what it's worth down the line.

davyk31

RMS Regular
But you pay for the depreciation anyway so a poor residual means a higher lease payment unless there are huge up front discounts.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
My Tesla will be worth £3 when I'm done with it. I won't have paid £54997 to lease it. Depreciation is massively outpacing the lease costs.

Same as mine, done nearly half its value already...
Screenshot_20240320_213505_eBay.jpg

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
They would like to see an electric WRC series in the near future but I’m not sure anyone is keen. They are already ditching the new hybrid system for the top tier WRC cars next year as they are too expensive to run.

An EV race or rally series for saloon cars would help push this along.
Or maybe there is one already, I don't know?