Suspension Setup

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
Hope someone can help.

I need someone who can set up a suspension. Any recommendations? Thanks

genman

G
Is the bike set to factory defaults.
Is there high mileage on it.
Are you within the normal 70-90 kg weight range
Is it for road or track use.
Once you can answer those it's easier to help.
Otherwise someone like McCallen is handy if you don't mind parting with at least £40 assumming not part changes or servicing are needed.

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E
Bike is how she come out of the factory. Less than 1000 mile, road use. My weight is a chubby 82kg's
Didn't know mccallen done it, so can give them a call. Don't mind paying.
Been reading about how to do it, but you can't beat someone that's knows what they are doing.

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E
Mccallen 's, can't do it, Philip himself needs to do it and he is a busy man.

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Just book it in and get Philip to do it, never known anyone having a problem before

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Measure your own setting now and check all your compression and rebound settings by clicking them all in, write down the settings.

IMO preload is the most important to set up to your weight.

Now adjust it to how you want it be it softer or harder. If you get scared you can always go back to what it was.

Don't trust MaCallen, he is not you and has not ridden your bike.

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E
Cheers, I have the factory settings and the race and comfort settings. I will just take a note of what I have now, so can always go back to that.

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X

True, but he has won countless races over the years and learned how to set up his suspension along the way by working with the best suspension engineers on the planet

What he doesn't know about the black art of suspension set-up isn't worth knowing

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular

And most importantly, he won't be riding the bike in the same manner as you.

I don't doubt his skills at setting up a bike for him to go as fast as possible on, but every rider has different preferences, especially on the road.

The first thing to do is measure the sag and set the preload for your weight. After that its just a matter of fine tuning the compression and rebound to suit your tastes. You'll also benefit from learning about how all the changes affect the handling and be more confident in making further adjustments in the future.

This will get you started on measuring the sag - Suspension and Springs

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E
Thanks for the link and comments.

If the weather improves this year I might get to try some settings. Rain, more rain, then rain.

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
Give it a go yourself bud.

My new bike came setup way too hard for the roads so I spent an hour this evening twiddling to make it more suitable.

After my first set of adjustments i went for a spin and then made some more based on how she felt.

Tbh it's not rocket science I just slackened off the the preload front and back then took the compression and rebound off a few turns.

It absorbs bumps much better now and is more comfy than before.

Of course before you start get your manual out and make sure you are working from a base setting.

Any changes I made I took a note of them on my phone for future reference in case I want to revert back after a track day.

Keep 'er lit

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E
Cheers . Had great intentions today, but as usual it's raining.
But I did mess around with my commuter bike, it felt soft, so just tightened it up and tried different settings, got it feeling better.
Still just trying to feel what is happening when I make changes.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
The sag is set based on your weight and is normally 30% of the suspension travel, set this first with help from a friend and a cable tie on the forks. Take all the weight off the forks or shock before adjusting the preload as you will have great difficulty moving a shock preload ring with a compressed spring, bike on the side stand is ok but a centre stand is great for this.

As a rough guide if you soften your spring preload from standard to get your sag measurement right then soften the compression a couple of clicks and soften the rebound 1 click.

Then ride the bike to see how it feels.

Then make more adjustments based on what you now think of it.

I like a bike as soft as possible with out bottoming out or feeling wallowy simply because it's easier to ride and more comfortable.

Sorting the suspension on my GSXR stopped me from selling it after a bumpy day around the Mourns on standard settings just after I bought it.

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E
IMAG0011.jpg

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E
Yeh, it's a lovely bike. The last one I had was stiff at the rear also, so I don't know any different. Throwing a grand for a shock is wasted on me, so just want to get the best possible handling from the stock suspension.

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
The uncles brother in law does suspension set up at his home in kilrea. Hard to get as he's away a lot. Works for ohlins doing Moto gp and moto2 bikes. Will give him a shout if you want.

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E
The uncles brother in law does suspension set up at his home in kilrea. Hard to get as he's away a lot. Works for ohlins doing Moto gp and moto2 bikes. Will give him a shout if you want.

That is a very kind offer and if the bike had an ohlins shock, it would be fantastic to have someone like your relation work on my bike. Sadly though, the shock isn't ohlins.

I heard that someone from here worked for ohlins. What a job, dream.

As you say, would be a difficult man to get hold off, but yes, that's a man most bike owners would want to set up their bike.

If he was setting up my bike, I'd give the credit card a bashing and get an ohlins.

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
OP
E

I went the Ohlins route. Got a new one, was told the Ohlins fella from here built it. Also, got an Ohlins steering damper. Both fitted by Millsport Ducati.

Thanks for the posts. Bike is sorted now. Ohlins isn't just bling, it's fantastic kit that works.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.