Taxing car with no physical insurance documents

keith5d

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
I’m heading to look at a car today 1.5 hours from home and it’s currently SORN’d, so it’ll be needing taxed before heading back down the motorway.
I’ll be insuring it before anything else obviously, but won’t have access to a printer unless the guy selling has one handy. So what’s the chances of getting it taxed in the post office with them seeing the certificate on my phone through my insurance company’s app?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I’m heading to look at a car today 1.5 hours from home and it’s currently SORN’d, so it’ll be needing taxed before heading back down the motorway.
I’ll be insuring it before anything else obviously, but won’t have access to a printer unless the guy selling has one handy. So what’s the chances of getting it taxed in the post office with them seeing the certificate on my phone through my insurance company’s app?
Highly unlikely.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Slim chance you’ll be able to do it online with the new keepers slip, but personally I would just drive her home safely as is, extremely unlikely to be pulled on it and if u did it would be a pretty unreasonable person to enforce it.

keith5d

RMS Regular
OP
keith5d
Drives
Golf GTI
Highly unlikely.
That’s the answer I was half expecting but hoping not to see lol. I’ve friends not too far out of lisburn so might have to nip to theirs and back for the car
Slim chance you’ll be able to do it online with the new keepers slip, but personally I would just drive her home safely as is, extremely unlikely to be pulled on it and if u did it would be a pretty unreasonable person to enforce it.
Yeah I’m half debating this and trying to stay as under the radar as possible but travelling pretty main roads from Lisburn to Derry

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Can you not have your insurance lined up beforehand for the start new date/time, and have it printed yourself ready?
That’s what I have done most times

KevM

RMS Regular
Just drive home & tax it. If you are unlucky enough to pass a camera on the way, but tax it that night/the next day, you are taxing from the 1st of Feb and will be covered for the period that you were on the road.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Agreed, cops only care about insurance. So as long as it's properly insured, I can't see them taking much interest. Then tax it tomorrow or Monday.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
The no tax issue is purely a revenue offence - you won’t get stopped for that in itself, insurance database may take a bit longer to update but if you’ve a paper/email trail you’ll be right.