Timing belt breaking

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
My aunt got a letter from Citroen to say that there was recall on faulty timing belts breaking. She took the car down for inspection and Citroen said the belt was ok. Within 3 weeks the belt snapped and wrecked the engine. The Citroen garage she bought the car through and that inspected the belt said it’s nothing to do with them and tough basically. Does she have a case against them? Thanks

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Common issue on the 1.6hdi engines.

We had one of our vans go, Citroen would only cover replacing the actual belt, no tensioners, water pump or cam that also needed replaced.

I would change every 60k miles or 3 years whichever comes first.

How many miles were on it and had the belt ever been done before?

Turks

RMS Regular
OP
Turks
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Common issue on the 1.6hdi engines.

We had one of our vans go, Citroen would only cover replacing the actual belt, no tensioners, water pump or cam that also needed replaced.

I would change every 60k miles or 3 years whichever comes first.

How many miles were on it and had the belt ever been done before?
I’m not sure to be honest, I’m only getting second hand information from my dad.

Yogi

RMS Regular
Family member has a 2018 Peugeot 3008 HDi broke the timing belt @ 49k 3 weeks out of warranty. Peugeot replaced the complete engine.

Turks

RMS Regular
OP
Turks
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Not that many will be interested. An update 7 months with solicitors fighting and an engineer report the report also stated that there’s 13000 of them with the same fault. Citroen have accepted responsibility and are going to sort the car.