Toyota Yaris GR

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
It looks like one of these from the 80s. ...
Screenshot_20240112_193933_Chrome.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard or cost very much to convert back to a standard Yaris dash if people prefer that. These cars are like the Evo or WRX of old - nobody buys them for refinement.

Apart from memes and trucks, is there any official story behind that dash design? I assume Toyota didn't just pluck it out of thin air?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard or cost very much to convert back to a standard Yaris dash if people prefer that. These cars are like the Evo or WRX of old - nobody buys them for refinement.

Apart from memes and trucks, is there any official story behind that dash design? I assume Toyota didn't just pluck it out of thin air?

It's designed like that so that all controls are reachable when wearing a 4 point harness. Ugly, but serves a purpose I guess.
Also they moved the screen of the original down in to the dash as people complained about visibility, same way as they have moved the mirror up.

I quite like the subtle wee changes they've done, though not enough to want to change to one.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The harness thing actually makes sense. But maybe they should have left it as an option (or maybe it will be?). No sane person uses harnesses on the road.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The harness thing actually makes sense. But maybe they should have left it as an option (or maybe it will be?). No sane person uses harnesses on the road.

Seem to have made a lot of the changes for the ones who rally them, 3 piece front bumper, stronger lower arms etc

As much as I can't listen to Mat Watson, this video with the GR design engineer explaining what broke and how they upgraded it is pretty good.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I love how Mr Toyoda-San himself raced it, broke it & asked them to make it better for the new version.

All the changes outlined in that video all make perfect sense. Especially the new seating & rear view mirror position.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, from a racing point of view it makes total sense. Just maybe could have made an option of a "normal" dash for those who just want a road car.

But hey, easily changed I'm sure. Maybe there will be such an option when it goes on sale. I'm sure they've been watching.

Great to see their main market is actual rallying and not just cashing in.

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Fantastic that they listened to all the ‘complaints’ and made the improvements.

The 25mm lower seating position and improved invisibility are huge benefits, especially for taller customers (hopefully me).

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Was away down to ballyrobert earlier to fill the mx5 with the super duper unleaded. Honestly, at least in that car, harnesses make perfect sense.

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Was away down to ballyrobert earlier to fill the mx5 with the super duper unleaded. Honestly, at least in that car, harnesses make perfect sense.
Agreed, mine was dailied with buckets, harnesses and a half cage/doorbars for ages and never found it an issue.