trackskills

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

plexo

RMS Regular
Drives
Mitsubishi
what sort of people come to this is it usually all modified cars ?

how does insurance work out with it do u need to get special insurance ?

is my 1.6 colt gonna get laughed at ^o)

Cro

RMS Regular
Real mix of cars from modified track focused cars, high performance (M3s etc, evo) and the caterham types.

No insurance is necessary to take part, some insurance companies provide this at an extra cost, but if you do stack your car into the evo going round be prepared to sort it out yourself.

Nobody that attends will be making fun of anyones car I would have thought, more interested in having fun and their own times. Theres always going to be the fastest and slowest car out there

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
what sort of people come to this is it usually all modified cars ?

how does insurance work out with it do u need to get special insurance ?

is my 1.6 colt gonna get laughed at ^o)

everybody starts somewhere so no-one is gonna laugh unless they are a complete w**ker!!
its all about learning to drive fast in a safe environment.
as cro said u dont need insurance to drive on the track but on your first couple of runs just be wary of the evos etc and stay out of their way
good luck and might see you down there sometime (y)

plexo

RMS Regular
OP
plexo
Drives
Mitsubishi
just looks like a good wee day out learn about how car handles etc was more thinkin with the insurance if i crash into someone else i take it i would have to sort their car out or is it more your on the track you take the risk of gettin crashed into ?

jbw

RMS Member
Drives
Evo IX FQ360
Yes your insurance is invalid once you go onto the track. Unless you have a special track day insurance.
Just go on the track, start off slow, get used to the track, progressively get faster to what you are comfortable with.
It's a great way to learn about your car and how it handles in a safe environment. Great fun too.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Used to take a standard 1.3 corolla down to the trackskills days. Was slower than most but never got laughed at. And had as much fun as the guys in the £30k BMWs and Evos etc. Be warned you'll be hooked after one and want to do stuff to the car to make it better prep'ed for track.

Corolla is now: stripped, caged, lowered, not a 1.3, running slicks, mods to air induction system and body work, battery in boot etc.

And it's not the 'twin cam' shape corolla:

c6c06a56.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
youll have fun, but will be passed by everything. If that doesnt bother you, go for it.

The rules/marshalls will keep you fairly safe but you do get the odd hero who thinks overtaking on bends is ok so you need you keep your wits about you. But thats part of the learning curve, you are there to take your driving to the next level.

mic

RMS Regular
Drives
Stelvio & VW
Definately would recommend it for a days fun and really get to know the limits of your car. Insurance is invalid as said and everyone accepts that. It is well marshalled and providing you dont act the t*t you will be fine. It is well marshalled and the rules are laid out at the drivers briefing. Size isnt important its how you control it!!:laughing:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
just looks like a good wee day out learn about how car handles etc was more thinkin with the insurance if i crash into someone else i take it i would have to sort their car out or is it more your on the track you take the risk of gettin crashed into ?

In all the years I have never seen two cars collide. A few simple rules make it almost impossible (no overtaking in corners).

As Pablo said, there might be someone with the "red mist", but stay out of their way and you will be fine.

Keep your head on, use the mirrors all the time, and you will be fine.

The main risk to the car is mechanical stuff - cooked brakes, etc. Go easy the first time and leave plenty of time for the car to cool down between runs.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
really want to get the mini out to one but don't think it would be suited to kirki. Are there any track days at Nutts Corner

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
No track days at Nutt's. The odd sprint race just.

Knockhill would be perfect for you Pete. Mondello is really good fun as well, but quite expensive. Then there is Anglesey in Wales.

K-town is quite hard, power circuit with two huge braking zones every lap.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As Pablo says, keep your wits about you. Some of the two seaters just appear out of no-where. Can be sketchy at times when 3 or 4 of them are all over you lol

The organisers tend to put similarly spec'd cars on at the same time so you will be grand. It's all about having fun, not going fast. I'd a 1.4 205 which was a full on hoot. Wish I still had it.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Nicholas are you heading to knockhill at all this year? Would be good to follow someone experienced :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.