Tyre fitting machine

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Tentatively in the market for a tyre fitting machine.
Seem to be plenty for sale on Facebook etc but are they all scrap? Do they go wrong? Anything else to look out for?

Helper arm required for big alloys? Essential or a nice to have?

Are most single phase?

Thanks,
Anton

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Tentatively in the market for a tyre fitting machine.
Seem to be plenty for sale on Facebook etc but are they all scrap? Do they go wrong? Anything else to look out for?

Helper arm required for big alloys? Essential or a nice to have?

Are most single phase?

Thanks,
Anton
They are pretty simple, and most will be single phase and can work off a 13amp plug as the only real electric part in most is the motor for the turn table which in ours 1 is 750watt and the other 900watt. You will also need an air supply for it for the bead beaker at the minimum.

Assist arms will be lifted and lowered by an air ram too and then the head on most will be air powered too bar on the low end ones that just have it manual.

I’d recommend assist arms for work at low profile tyres.

Only thing that really happens is they get loose. In 2nd hand ones make sure the table clamps a rim strongly and that it holds the wheel centre. Had ones hold the wheel to one side will end up hitting off the head when they get wore out. Also the head can get a bit loose and end up moving too much when you go to lever the tyre off.

Wee plastic inserts for the head to protect the alloys is recommended.

Also these plastic guards that slip onto the alloy edge to protector it from the lever too.

IMG_2204.png

Quality ones are expensive new especially with the assist arms so hold there value when buying 2nd hand.

Both ours are made by snap-on tho ones sticker Hoffman and the other Boxer they are both snap-on machines. Newest one is 1.5yrs old and cost over £5000+vat.

Dont forget to think about balancing wheels too

Last edited:

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Thanks @weeloaney much appreciated info.

Have a couple of compressors so air supply won't be an issue.

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Tyre machines are great but I could never justify the cost to myself for all the use it would get with me. I've one of the manual post changers which I use quite often. Can be a bit of a workout until you get the knack of using the levers to get the best out of it. Bead breaking isn't too bad even when the tyres have been stuck on with sealant. Doing the autotests and targas, I've used it a lot and also buy my tyres delivered for all the family cars. Honestly been a great job. I have a nylon faced bar to protect the alloy faces and use a bubble balancer too which works OK but can be a bit inconsistent.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
@FM155 The manual one would probably be fine for higher profile but for anything 45 profile and less it's near impossible! Also much more risk of damaging a rim/ tyre. Same with breaking the bead. I have a wall mounted lever to break beads but for some tyres it's not doable.

Financially it's probably not sensible but for handiness I think it is justifiable.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, I can manage 45 profile OK but did a set of 40's and they were a right struggle, the only tyres that have beaten me yet are full gravel competition tyres. Can't argue with the logic of going with a machine, I'd be interested in seeing what you end up with.

Jason

RMS Regular
Def get one with an assist arm, we use the rubber protectors for the edge of the rim then cover the face with foam etc to make sure the bar doesn't touch the face.

Would love to upgrade to a road force balancer as we find with 20"+ the tyres are like eggs sometimes.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@Jason Was past your place a couple of weeks ago (2nd) on a multi venue autotest as there was a test in a farmyard a few doors down from your shed. Just noticed the wee sign at the road, no time to browse though.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
They are pretty simple, and most will be single phase and can work off a 13amp plug as the only real electric part in most is the motor for the turn table which in ours 1 is 750watt and the other 900watt. You will also need an air supply for it for the bead beaker at the minimum.

Assist arms will be lifted and lowered by an air ram too and then the head on most will be air powered too bar on the low end ones that just have it manual.

I’d recommend assist arms for work at low profile tyres.

Only thing that really happens is they get loose. In 2nd hand ones make sure the table clamps a rim strongly and that it holds the wheel centre. Had ones hold the wheel to one side will end up hitting off the head when they get wore out. Also the head can get a bit loose and end up moving too much when you go to lever the tyre off.

Wee plastic inserts for the head to protect the alloys is recommended.

Also these plastic guards that slip onto the alloy edge to protector it from the lever too.

View attachment 428154

Quality ones are expensive new especially with the assist arms so hold there value when buying 2nd hand.

Both ours are made by snap-on tho ones sticker Hoffman and the other Boxer they are both snap-on machines. Newest one is 1.5yrs old and cost over £5000+vat.

Dont forget to think about balancing wheels too

Re; runflats and low profiles.

Without an assist arm etc can they still be changed? Speed isn't a necessity for me as it'll just be for my own use.

Edit; as an example of what I'd be using them for would be 245/40/18s and 235/60/18s.

Last edited:

Jason

RMS Regular
@Jason Was past your place a couple of weeks ago (2nd) on a multi venue autotest as there was a test in a farmyard a few doors down from your shed. Just noticed the wee sign at the road, no time to browse though.
Yea, you also would have been in my in laws farm too were your parc ferme was!

Without an assist arm etc can they still be changed? Speed isn't a necessity for me as it'll just be for my own use.

Edit; as an example of what I'd be using them for would be 245/40/18s and 235/60/18s.
It could be done but it would be a wrestling session, forget about 19/20+ RFT's

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Just opposite the church? Yes, good wee test round that yard too.

Jason

RMS Regular
Just opposite the church? Yes, good wee test round that yard too.
yea i live just above the church. Great yard for it, FIL has 2 x mx5's and we had them out last year, though ended in disaster as we got a bit too boisterous and hit them off each other 🤣 one needed a quarter panel and other got wrote off for parts.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d

Not likely to be a problem yet but I suppose best to look ahead at what could be on the driveway in a few years time

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

Nearly everything is doable without assist arms but the changes of damaging the alloy or the tyre bead is a lot more.

Fitting 245/40r18 without assist arms is doable but would need 2 levers and practice, runflat in that size probably not. 235/60r18 should be fine without assist arms, runflat will be harder but doable.

When taking tyres off we have a lube with the consistency of water than helps a lot with the tricky stuff. Wd40 will work just as well tho.

I’d offer for you to come round some evening to see it being done or even try but your a tad far away for that.

Think physically one of the toughest is the 315/35r20 Bridgestone runflats. They are tough bast****, the width doesn’t help either, impressives me how strong the good tyre levers actually are 😂

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
E90 255/30r19 bridgestone runflat are the worst

I really don't miss being the BMW dealer tyre guy
Haven’t dealt with 30 profile runflat thankfully, not all that common in Fermanagh or at leas not for our country workshop 😂

Jason

RMS Regular
Nearly everything is doable without assist arms but the changes of damaging the alloy or the tyre bead is a lot more.

Fitting 245/40r18 without assist arms is doable but would need 2 levers and practice, runflat in that size probably not. 235/60r18 should be fine without assist arms, runflat will be harder but doable.

When taking tyres off we have a lube with the consistency of water than helps a lot with the tricky stuff. Wd40 will work just as well tho.

I’d offer for you to come round some evening to see it being done or even try but your a tad far away for that.

Think physically one of the toughest is the 315/35r20 Bridgestone runflats. They are tough bast****, the width doesn’t help either, impressives me how strong the good tyre levers actually are 😂
Tyre iron strength blows my mind too they take some abuse lol

I really don't mind doing tyres, quite satisfying once fitted without damage or a bit of a wrestle.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
I was picking up a tyre in magowans the other day and got chatting to one of the boys who used to work in Modern when I was there, was pleasantly shocked by what he was offering me to go work there. Finally paying tyre fitters a skilled wage

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
Purely tyres, 28k, paying 32k for mechanical, know two dealer technicians who left Donnellys to go as they were getting paid more to do brakes, oil services and tyres than they were doing engine jobs in Donnelly