VW MK6 Golf GTI DSG - Candy White

Topmark

RMS Regular
So, after a very short fling with an extremely loud and excitable Abarth 500, the ride comfort had shattered my back and my tolerance for 'non car people' thinking I drove a Fiat 500 had worn thin. It was time for a change.

Usually when new cars come out, they take a year or so to grow on me. Not the MK6 GTI. This is a car I loved the look of from day one. It was one those "I'll have one some day, I will" kind of cars. And so I did.

My criteria was simple. Low miles, DSG gear box, FVWSH, not black, 5 door and of course excellent condition. Spec after this was an added bonus. I searched for months for the right one, throughout NI and even across the water. I couldn't believe how hard this was to find! So I emailed the head of VW sales for NI, and he very kindly made contact with all his sales managers. Luckily, a GTI was due to be traded into Agnew's a couple of days later. I went to see it and it was absolutely stunning.

My search was over! A 2011, VW Gold GTI DSG, 5 Door, Candy White with every optional extra available including sunroof and the all important shadow Monza alloys. It had the right story behind it too, formally belonging to a VW sales manager.

11822480_10153461660650242_4668711450345340184_n.jpg

I absolutely love it. It is the perfect package, with huge capability, german practicality and of course build quality. No big plans, less is more. It has the LED lights front and rear as standard. I've fitted H&R springs (-30mm) which I'm so impressed with. They've closed the wheel gap and I can hardly notice any difference whatsoever in ride comfort. Handling has improved slightly as expected.

At the minute I have some gun metal grey Monza's on for the winter, which look great against the candy white. I swapped my BBS CH's from my last Golf onto this towards the end of summer to see how they looked... the picture below shows the car with the H&R's fitted too.

12065570_10153593878390242_3422315997439940326_n-2.jpg

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Very nice! Get some interior pics up. I've a real soft spot for the MK6 GTI

In my opinion though it looks much better on the Monza wheels

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Nice find! Thats looks really well.

Are the leds on the front an option, i thought the ed35 only had them?

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Lovely car, love the MK 6 GTI, agree with Mark315 prefer it on the Monzas(y)

Topmark

RMS Regular
OP
Topmark
Thanks all for the nice comments!

The Monza's are great, but in diamond cut finish unfortunately they don't last, partly due to our weather. And they're a costly refub £480 a set at Nu Luk. So I had them done in shadow chrome which is like gun metal silvery grey - will get a picture up when she gets bathed this weekend. Still looks great.

@Mark315 Will do!

@VWnut I believe they are as this car was totally standard (minus the optional extras) when I bought it. I think I've seen a couple of well spec'd GTD's with them too.

@Ian A Who would you suggest? Maybe in a year's time, if I enjoy it for a year I'll enjoy the map more I guess when I notice the difference. I had a look at Revo out of interest, who suggest getting a DSG map as well as the stage 1. Comes to around £800 in total :rolleyes:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The exact spec I had my eye on so I know how rare these are.

Good find, Sir.

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
Lovely car.

Nice find! Thats looks really well.

Are the leds on the front an option, i thought the ed35 only had them?

They were an option (y) Only seen a handful of GTIs (not edition 35s) with the Led headlights.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
@Ian A Who would you suggest? Maybe in a year's time, if I enjoy it for a year I'll enjoy the map more I guess when I notice the difference. I had a look at Revo out of interest, who suggest getting a DSG map as well as the stage 1. Comes to around £800 in total :rolleyes:

I've had mine Revo'd and I really do recommend it. The difference in feel / drive was staggering. Like I know it may only be 40/50bhp more in terms of figures, but it feels like a totally different animal now.

They've got a -25% offer on atm for Christmas.

Topmark

RMS Regular
OP
Topmark
I've had mine Revo'd and I really do recommend it. The difference in feel / drive was staggering. Like I know it may only be 40/50bhp more in terms of figures, but it feels like a totally different animal now.

They've got a -25% offer on atm for Christmas.

Definitely something to consider but will probably leave it a while yet. If yours is DSG also, did you go for the DSG map too?

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
No, but it is worthwhile. Had the mk5 DSG golf with a gearbox map. Worth it for launch control alone. Lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Very nice. A touch darker on the wheels would work even better in my opinion.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
@Ian A Did you notice any better mpg?

With the engine map? Yes and no. Yes when driving normally it is slightly better on fuel, but no because it's too fun to not drive normally.

Though if MPG is a main motivator behind getting the car mapped, don't bother. That's not what it's there for.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Very nice, I looked at GTI's before buying my cupra but I honestly didn't see what the attraction was. I have been told that the remap totally transforms the car.

Topmark

RMS Regular
OP
Topmark
@jonny_w They do command a higher price compared to an equivalent Cupra but I guess you're paying for the badge. I prefer the look of the GTI but I imagine build quality and performance of the Cupra is pretty much matched. And although a higher price point, I found the GTI's to hold their value over and above so many other cars out there so all being well you'll get your money back (in relative terms).