What tyres?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Im hoping to get a set of 8x19" et50 alloys only shortly

what tyre size would be the best for this rim? 235/35/r19 seems to be the norm

but i dont want the tyre wall to be very small, either 40 or 45 - unless you can convince me other wise...

how much roughly would a decent set of 19" tyres cost?

nothing really fancy, the likes of federal (which i had on the clio), falken would be grand

any other brands? hankook? kumho?

thanks

Marc

RMS Moderator
Id guess in and around £140 - £160 a tyre

and as for tyres.. id always go for a brand, I had some Kumho's on the S3 when I bought it, and compared to the 4 new dunlops I just put on the car they are a poor tyre.

Goodluck.. im sure the tyres are gonna cost the same as a set of 2nd hand rims :laughing:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
rims are not 2nd hand any more Marcus

i went to http://ssl.delti.com/mytires/start.html

and they seem to have great prices and even ones which are quite cheap have good ratings.

eg 4xFederal SS-595 235/35/R19 - £383.40 delivered (£86.10 per tyre)

4xFalken FK-452 235/35/R19 - £479.80 delivered (£110.20 per tyre)

i know they are cheap and i know tyres are the last thing you should not skimp on but ive had the federals before in 18" and thought they were grand

also i would prefer to buy over here because i could also ge them fitted inclusive of the price where as if i bought online id have to pay out more to get them fitted.

what dealers in NI would you recommend? i usually deal with Oliver Tyres and get them for decent prices...

Gambit

RMS Regular
ive no idea on prices for tyres that size!! u best bet would be to ring somewhere local then compare them

when it comes to tyres i tend not to scrimp. they are the only thing between u & the road. and with wide tyres u have less contact pressure so really need as much grip as possible

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
charles hurst tyres are usually the most competitive locally and i had hankooks on megane and was impressed with them especially in the wet

Marc

RMS Moderator
if getting them local, just start calling all tyre dealers :grinning:

get you the best price possible

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
got quoted £110 for nokian nry 235/35/r19 from oliver tyres limivady

seems not too bad and am told they are a decent tyre (by his daughter) but ill search about still - havent heard of these tyres before, come from finland

NRY.jpg

The Nokian NRY is a stylish summer tyre for fast driving which always keeps the situation under control, even by very high speeds.
The progressive cut profile arouses the much needed attention.
It makes driving with high speeds easy even when it rains.
The clearly pronounced transversal grooves and broad longitudinal grooves of the Nokian NRY are very effective against aquaplanning.
The longitudinal rib in the central section of the profile improves the accuracy by steering. The silver-grey speed strips from the centre section of the bearing surface are essential.
Other features: - Profile wear indicator -Rim protection -Gasket -Information field -Termo silica -environmental friendly -Colored profile grooves

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
one thing i will say andrew is never skimp on tyres as it's the only thing that keeps you on the balck stuff :grinning:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
oh i know! honestly i could go cheaper and get tyres for £75 each lol but i have dealt with olivers since ive been driving and i trust his judgement (unless someone can give me horror stories about these tyres :confounded: )

im not a hard fast driver anyway and i had federals on the clio before hand and they were spot on!

decision time today is though....18" or 19" alloys?

still undecided - help would be appreciated!!

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
also i need decent wheel nuts and lock nuts!

the last ones i had chipped at the end and rusted and look gash!

the likes of mcgard or better!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I found Dunlop's to be a fairly good mid range Tyre, worked out at 2/3 the price of Michelin Pilots for the BM but I couldn't really fault them, wore well and gripped well :grinning:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
thanks steve - didnt know that!

thanks scrob ill look into the dunlops!

whats your opinion on what size?

Jason

RMS Regular
Thing to consider with tyre walls is that a 35 profile will be the exact same height on a 265 tyre as say a 40 profile on a 245 tyre... its a % of the width or something..

iv kumho's all round on the m3, grip well enough for 321bhp to the rears

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.