Where can i get an engineers report?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ryan99

RMS Regular
Drives
2008 VW Jetta
Just got air suspension fitted and would like and engineers report to cover this as i think my insurance company will be wanting this. Phone some fella today and was looking 200 plus VAT. Dont know if this price sounds right or not but its a lot more than i thought it would of been. Anyone know who could get one sorted for me?

Jonny

RMS Regular
Can the place that fitted the suspension not point you in the direction of where normally does their reports?

Ryan99

RMS Regular
OP
Ryan99
Drives
2008 VW Jetta
Can the place that fitted the suspension not point you in the direction of where normally does their reports?

He only knows people in the south, even at that i think myself he should have sorted it for me as he said he would before i got the work done. Feel **** on and am sort of screwed withoit one.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
1. Would you not be best to get him to do it if it was agreed he would?

2. Would you not be best to ring and ask your insurance if they need it rather than guessing if they might? I built my kit from scratch and insurance were more than happy to cover it without a report

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
exactly, i cant believe any engineer would put his name down on a system he didn't design or install.

if anything was to happen the breadcrumbs would be traced back to him, and he would be liable, its an exercise in "passing the buck".

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
exactly, i cant believe any engineer would put his name down on a system he didn't design or install.

if anything was to happen the breadcrumbs would be traced back to him, and he would be liable, its an exercise in "passing the buck".

Theres soo many gets outs though, alot of people in my line of work have the cheek up to actually put on their reports ok at time of test.

Usually the ones who haven't an actual clue what they're at.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
A report like this doesn’t really put the liability on the engineer as it’s a bit like an MOT which realistically only states a car was safe at the time of inspection.

An engineer is only doing what I’ve said above, doing an inspection to see if the vehicle is safe. He or she is not putting their name to the particular system much the same way an MOT tester isn’t putting their name to the car manufacturer of the vehicle he/she has inspected.

Anyway I digress. I’ve been out of the trade for 13years now, but when I was working in Charles Hurst Accident Repair dealing with insurance assessors, some of those guys used to do this sort of thing and even back then it was well over £100, so £200 doesn’t seem too out of the way in my opinion.

As others have said you’d be best to speak to your insurer first to see if it’s actually needed.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
What exactly certifies someone to be an automotive engineer as opposed to a regular mechanic? Is it a chartered mechanical engineer, graduate engineer, or something specific?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I had to get one of these for Quinn insurance years ago for an old lowered A3.
Went over the boarder to a local garage. Fella put it on ramp, looked at each corner with lamp. Put it down and took me into Office and asked what do you need wrote on this. He everything I said down on headed paper and said €30 will cover you. I threw him €50 as places in derry wouldn’t do it as they didn’t fit the springs.
Quinn accepted it no problem.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.