Where do I stand? Dealer warranty

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
It's a Kuga... the little jeepy thing. My wife did have a Mini for the past 3 years and even though there is 141,000 miles on it nothing has ever went wrong with it.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
most 3 month dealer warranties are engine & box only by law

a goodwill of half is about all i would be expecting TBH and i replaced passat DMF at 87k so about normal miles i would say for it to let go

KevM

RMS Regular
It rattles on idle as well and sends vibrations throughout the car.

Does it come and go when pressing the clutch and releasing?
Can you see the engine physically shuddering when idling?
It still sounds very extreme to be a DMF and they generally get progressively noisier over a period.

Are you sure it’s not going off a pot when ticking over - like a ropey injector?

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
A dmf can cause a bad vibration, have came across a couple that just started doing it out of the blue.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
What would the labour charge be for this kind of job? The dealer is claiming they could have it repaired for £120+VAT which seems like a steal given the work involved.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I took it to a local mechanic this evening and he said it could be the DMF but it wasn't that bad at the minute. There was no rattling at all. I am wondering, though, could the alternator cause a vibration? I've noticed that the lights seem to get bright and dim when you rev the engine and lift off again. The engine vibration seems to be worse at the side of the engine with the alternator. I've never seen an alternator cause this but I suppose it might if the bearings have become worn and it's off balance? The vibration isn't that bad but you can feel it if you lean against the car.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I took it to a local mechanic this evening and he said it could be the DMF but it wasn't that bad at the minute. There was no rattling at all. I am wondering, though, could the alternator cause a vibration? I've noticed that the lights seem to get bright and dim when you rev the engine and lift off again. The engine vibration seems to be worse at the side of the engine with the alternator. I've never seen an alternator cause this but I suppose it might if the bearings have become worn and it's off balance? The vibration isn't that bad but you can feel it if you lean against the car.
One of the pulleys on the aux belt worn maybe?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Is it a clutched alternator pulley ? Another one of those unreliable and utterly pointless modern inventions that go faulty lol

KevM

RMS Regular
Iv sold countless Kuga’s. Quite a few do come back for alternators. But again, not for noise or vibration. They just stop charging!

Drive it on, could be something as simple as a heat shield or twisted exhaust section

I’m actually really curious now!

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
It's gonna drive me insane until it's fixed. I'll have to take the aux belt off and see if there's anything out of the ordinary going on.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
30 days have now passed unfortunately.

I got a reply from the dealer saying they will pay £200 as a gesture of goodwill towards the repair. I don't feel that this is enough - not even half the total repair bill. I offered to pay for the labour if they provided the parts or the value of the parts (£265). They are also claiming that they would be charged £150 labour to have this job done when I have been quoted £250-300.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip

I got a reply from the dealer saying they will pay £200 as a gesture of goodwill towards the repair. I don't feel that this is enough - not even half the total repair bill. I offered to pay for the labour if they provided the parts or the value of the parts (£265). They are also claiming that they would be charged £150 labour to have this job done when I have been quoted £250-300.
Depends how much they are getting charged labour I imagine they've probably a deal with a local mechanic so maybe get cheaper rates. How longs the job roughly take? I think jonny at Ai is about 25 an hour.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

How can you say it's not enough when you don't even really know what's wrong with the car?!

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
How can you say it's not enough when you don't even really know what's wrong with the car?!

I took it to a local mechanic last week and he confirmed that it was definitely the flywheel. He did say it was probably in the very early stages and it *might* go on for a long time yet but the vibration is very annoying.

I am going to book it in with Ford to get it inspected and a written estimate for repair. That should open their eyes.

I wish I'd bought it from a local dealer I could have taken it back to and dealt with them face to face. Will never be buying from a mainland dealer again. To top it off it looks like the alternator is on its way out as well - the lights get bright and dim at night time and the whole dash flickers as well. Seems like a right lemon.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.