Where to insure a SORN modified car for one day?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
I need to drive a SORN modified car to the MOT centre on Monday, but Greenlight won't insure a SORN car at all. Once it passes I'll be able to insure it with GL :rolleyes:

What options are there?

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
That doesn't make sense - insurance company shouldn't be concerned about the car being on a SORN or not :confounded: Does the car have a valid MOT on Monday or is that expired too?

tomah

RMS Regular
OP
tomah
Drives
Acura MDX
No valid MOT, but it's booked in for Monday.

stuart-civic

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic EJ9
Just get someone to tow you to the mot centre without insurance then and insure it when it passes, or bring it on a trailor.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Just get someone to tow you to the mot centre without insurance then and insure it when it passes, or bring it on a trailor.

That would illegal (y)

If it's wheels are touching the road, it needs to be taxed, tested and insured. That includes having it's front wheels off the ground in a towing dolly and the rears rolling on the road.

A proper car transporter would be the only legal way to take it the test centre as far as I know, providing the tow vehicle is plated to pull such a weight and the driver is licensed.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Or get someone with traders to drive it to the test centre. A car only needs to be insured to drive to and from the MOT.

stuart-civic

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic EJ9
That would illegal (y)

If it's wheels are touching the road, it needs to be taxed, tested and insured. That includes having it's front wheels off the ground in a towing dolly and the rears rolling on the road.
quote]

You sure? I asked a pretty high up police man about the laws around this when I was at one of the project evo days at kirkistown. He told me aslong as the car was being towed with a stiff bar and not a rope or strap it was perfectly legal, and i was completely clear about the fact the car being towed would have no mot, tax or insurance. He also went on to say that the person in control of the car being towed would not need to have a driving license. :confounded:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Peeler's don't always know the law.

I'm sure stevieturbo can find the links regarding towing, be it with a bar or a rope, but as far as I'm aware, it's illegal for anything other than to recover a vehicle to a "safe place", which is generally no more than a few hundred yards to a lay-by or a motorway slip-road.

pablo

RMS Moderator
it counts as a trailer then youre into all sorts of problems over being braked etc.

just hire a trailer or pay someone with traders to take it for you.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Nah it doesn't, it technically becomes a trailer then but as Pablo says, it needs to meet trailer build regs and have all four wheels braked, etc, etc. Transporter is still the best/only option. Oh and yes you can use a dolly for recovery only, not sure how that conversation would go if you were stopped by the Police on the way to MOT.

Don't see why you can't insure a SORN'd car mind you. How do they expect you to tax it when it does get the MOT?

tomah

RMS Regular
OP
tomah
Drives
Acura MDX
The whole thing is a bit of a joke, and we're too honest to flippantly break the law. Although I understand the predicament from the insurers point of view.

Going to get the mechanic to take the car to the MOT centre. He had already offered that option, so it seems much more appealing now that I've looked into this a bit more.

Nicky
You're right about the police not always knowing the law. Wife rang up the police to get put through to traffic branch to ask if it was okay to drive a car without MOT to the mechanic. He thought she was someone asking a hypothetical question for the Stephen Nolan Show or something! lol

When she finally cleared up the fact that it was a legitimate question, he acknowledged that it's a bit silly that you're allowed to drive to the MOT centre and then back to the mechanic, but not straight to the mechanic. He also said she'd be a bit unfortunate to get 'done' if she tried it, but there was nothing to guarantee she'd be let off if caught.

There was other stuff said, but basically he wasn't sure and most of his responses were given after my wife explained the situation and the law as she understood it. She said he was very civil though, and that apparently she made his day since his whole morning was taken up with one complaint after another! lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.