Where to send English V5

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Bought a car in England and got full V5 home with me.

If I send it to Coleraine will they accept a V5 from the mainland, or does it need to go to Swansea?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
What did you buy?

Can u but take all stuff to Coleraine and re register using a v55/5?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Its not that easy, or at least it didn't used to be. When I brought cars in from England in the past I had to copy everything letter fir letter onto another form (one with an orange stripe along the top) ans send that along with the V5 to Coleraine. Also there was an added complication as I had the car taxed in England before I collected it which Coleraine didn't recognise as insisted that I return the tax to Swansea for a refund before I tax it here. Right pain in the rear end.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I bought a 4x4 in Scotland last month, and sorted it with a v55/5. You cannot download the form but available from the mot centre or DVLNI offices. Not available in the post office.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Don't send it back to Swansea, they'll destroy it and you have to pay for a new one from DVLNI!

Darren91

RMS Regular
If you're keeping the English reg just take it to Coleraine as usual and everything will continue as normal.

I believe you need to fill in another form if you want a NI reg.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
If you're keeping the English reg just take it to Coleraine as usual and everything will continue as normal.

I believe you need to fill in another form if you want a NI reg.
Correct, its all merged now so you can just send it Coleraine who will take note of details and send it on to Swansea who make the vast majority of V5's now and post it directly back to you :grinning:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Bought a car in England and got full V5 home with me.

If I send it to Coleraine will they accept a V5 from the mainland, or does it need to go to Swansea?

That's the easiest way you can buy a car, and always has been. It only got complicated if you didnt have the full V5.

Just go to the local tax office ( Ballymena, Belfast, Coleraine etc ), fill in a form and they send you out a V5NI

Job done.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I usually get the full v5 and just keep it until the tax that is on the car runs out. Then take the full v5 and fill in the form at the tax office be it a few months after purchase or not. Il be doing this with the skyline, have the full book, tax is up in april

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
That's the easiest way you can buy a car, and always has been. It only got complicated if you didnt have the full V5.

Just go to the local tax office ( Ballymena, Belfast, Coleraine etc ), fill in a form and they send you out a V5NI

Job done.

Is the other form you speak of the V55? Does it has to be done in the tax office, and not just sent to Coleraine? It's a royal pain in the ass getting to it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It may be, it's been a year or so since I did one so cant remember. If you have the form, I'm sure it can be filled in and posted. Dont see the form online for download though, so you might have to go or get someone to go and grab a form so you can fill it in and post it off.

pablo

RMS Moderator
you only need the new keepers supplement now. there is a thread on which forms to download and fill in. bring them to tax office and you can tax it if you wish, and get an NI plate if you wish.

E4A

I done it in August.

Send V5 and completed V10 (NI) form to Coleraine with tax disc.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I called in to Coleraine today but the queue was a joke.

I'll post it tomorrow instead.

I didn't think you'd need to send the tax disc too if you're not taxing?

E4A

Send in the tax disc if the car is taxed, if the car is not taxed then there is no need to send the disc.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I called in to Coleraine today but the queue was a joke.

I'll post it tomorrow instead.

I didn't think you'd need to send the tax disc too if you're not taxing?
No you dont need to post the disc anymore, just send away the V5 as normal :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.