Windows Tints....

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steven

RMS Regular
Drives
Nothing exciting
Sorry if this is a repetitave thread as i'm sure it's prob been asked b4....

i'm gettin a brand new car and am gonna get the windows tinted. Cos the car is brand new i know that i dont have to worry bout MOT for a long time, just wondered wot the craic is these days with the police?? are they still hard on this issue? can u get fined/points for havin non-factory tints?

sc_evo

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
the peelers will make u take it off the front two windows if there is less than 65% light getting thru.
u can only put a 60mm tint on the front window.
u can put watever u want on the rear.

also remember most cars come with a factory tint so even u get the lightest tint it still mite not pass

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
anything letting less than 70% of light through - ILLEGAL, in the eyes of the law, and theyre clamping down on this!!

sc_evo

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
Tinted Windows -
Here is what you have all been asking about what can i have and is it legal.....
This information i have got has come from the VOSA (Used to be Vehicle Inspectorate) So its the best and upto date info i can get hold off. Read on to find out what you don't want to hear!

Why this has happened?
In recent times there has been an increased trend for owners of light vehicles to have side windows and even windscreens tinted with the application of a tinted film (Or spray)
The new regulations have been made as previous ones were open to different interpretation than that intended. It was also feared that excessive tinting may have been contributary to many road traffic accidents due to reduced visability more so at night.

Legislation -
Regulation 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 requires vehicles to comply with specific light transmission standards.
On the 01/01/2004 the 2003 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)(Amendment) No 5 regulation came in to effect. This amendment provides clarification that the visual light transmission standards (VLT) apply to glass and any film attached to it.

Who is affected?
Any person who has tinted windows either by tinted glass or a film or spray colouring.. Either trained Police Officers or Vehicle Inspectorate officers will have to the powers to deal with tinted windows in the following ways.

What are the new Standards?
The areas of class affected are the Primary vision area* and any windows forward of the B pillars which effectively are the front driver and passanger windows and any quarterlights.
* The Primary vision area is the area of the windscreen through which the driver would normally look through the most. This excludes glass within 6cm (2.5" of the top and bottom of the screen and 9cm (3.5" of the nearsdie and offside edges of the screen.

Using a light meter the relevant authority will be able to calculate the Average Visusal Light Transmission (AVLT) of the glass.

So basically If you have limo blacked out windows you are likely to get stopped and have to remove them.
There are slight variations in that Vehicles first used prior to 01/04/1985 are allowed tinted windows both side and windscreen upto a maximum of 35% so that the AVLT is more than 65%. Anything less will fall into the categories as above.
Vehicles used after 01/04/1985 are allowed upto 35% tint on side windows (AVLT must be 65% or above) and the windscreen must be no more than 30% tint. (AVLT of 70% or more)
Anything less will fall into the categories as above.
Immediate Prohibition - Is as it says and you won't be able to drive your car any further
Delayed Prohibition - Can be almost immediately or delayed upto 10 days. This may give you the opportunity to drive home and rectify the faults.
* I am somewhat confused about the Advise only action. I can only summise that this means you won't get an immediate or delayed prohibition but will get told it has to be done as soon as practicable. If anyone knows any different then please contact me.
I hope this is of some help.
For Further Information please check the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) website

this info is from an english peeler from another site.

so basically means if ur glass is too dark the peeler can make u take it off there and then, or can advise u to take it off and give u a fine.

Steven

RMS Regular
OP
Steven
Drives
Nothing exciting
cheers for the info sc_bmw! where bouts in m/felt u from? wot u drivin?

sdd

having tints and living in magherafelt is more trouble than its worth. i dont know about anywhere else, but theyre def getting stricter about tinted windows here.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I have a dark smoke tint and havnt been stoped once. I dont know anyone who has been stoped. Maybe the police are stricker in other places just really depends where you live. If i was to do it again through I dnt think I would bother

sc_evo

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
when i get stopped by them, (eventually it will happen) or when its mot time, (whichever comes first) im going to go and get a complete new tint of the lightest shade and just put a 60mm limo on the front. i cant be arsed worring about it everytime i take the car out.

also the peelers say its dangerous to have a dark tint. i disagree. i was driving a non tinted car the other day and i was blineded by the sun. i really could see nothing. this doesnt happen in my car with the tint. with a bit of caution at night time i really dont see there is any problem, but thats our completley **** government for u. tax tax tax and u still cant do wat u want to something u have worked for.

rant over!

DervePug106

yea i had pentagon light smoke tints all round on my 106 and they made me take them off for MOT nasty only had them on a few months and cost 330 cash to fit lol

Max

RMS Regular
Drives
Gaterpillars
Pentagon are the only tinting firm to work with the PSNI and are acknowledged by the PSNI, pentagon light tint will pass the police tests.

Shaggin_Wagon

Drives
Ford Fiesta mk6
My car is limo black on the back 3 windows and the front 2 are dark smoked. They can't pull you for the back windows but make sure the front windows are light smoked (35% I think). I've had these on for a few months and I haven't got stopped once!

Shaggin_Wagon

Drives
Ford Fiesta mk6
DervePug106 said:
yea i had pentagon light smoke tints all round on my 106 and they made me take them off for MOT nasty only had them on a few months and cost 330 cash to fit lol

You were stroked!

3 limo black tints, 2 dark smoked tints and a sunstrip cost me £185

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
You were "stroked". Tintmaster were £110 for the same amount of windows...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.