Yanks Coming to NI in August

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
The drive/ ride in around the Killary Fjord in Mayo is great as well and isn't far off the Wild Atlantic Way Route and Westport, Co Mayo is a great wee town to stop in if you need to stay the night.

Some cracking roads in Ireland altogether, enjoy the trip.

We really are spoilt of choice on this Island!!!!
Thanks Antoin for the info
You're right about being blessed as seen by the pics Brennan posted

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Weather looks good for tomorrow so we're off to Fishguard which will probably take us 2 days unless we use the M roads just to get out of here
Hope we're on the ferry tomorrow night but Remy's leg is not 100% since dropping the bike in a pothole so probably be Monday night
Just got my SIM card so if anyone wants to send a test text is appreciate it thanks
My new number is zero seven five zero 7883134

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 M Sport
Catching the 1 pm ferry tomorrow arriving early evening
Looking forward to that first new Irish potato and some fresh Guinness out of the tap
If you like beer I would suggest 'hop house 13'- A lager by Guinness. Lovely stuff

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Hi Guys
Sorry to say we left Ireland yesterday and heading back to London. Rain caused plans to change daily
The replacement rider dropped her bike twice and so we're taking it very slowly returning.
Pouring now as I speak and don't want to force her out on the road in her mental state
We had a great time any way,just regret not being able to meet some of you
Thanks for all the info we got even though we couldn't take advantage of all of it

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Hi Guys
Sorry to say we left Ireland yesterday and heading back to London. Rain caused plans to change daily
The replacement rider dropped her bike twice and so we're taking it very slowly returning.
Pouring now as I speak and don't want to force her out on the road in her mental state
We had a great time any way,just regret not being able to meet some of you
Thanks for all the info we got even though we couldn't take advantage of all of it

Yeah the weather has been pretty crap alright. What kinda stuff did you end up doing? Are you riding to London or flying?

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Yeah the weather has been pretty crap alright. What kinda stuff did you end up doing? Are you riding to London or flying?
We did see a list of stuff like rope bridge at Carrick which had been repaired
Giants Causeway, Dark Hedges etc the usual tourist stuff
Bad luck today though, she went down again and took me with her
I broke a brake lever and scratched a parked car and she broke a mirror
Car owner was nice and didn't ask for compensation though
We lucked out and found a honda dealer who put on a used lever for a fiver and replaced both mirrors for a twenty
On the road she is a reasonable rider but has trouble with curbs and u-turns
We're riding back to London
Doing the Lake Area tomorrow and the famous Hard Knot road which is supposed to be the twistiest in England
I won't push either of them though and we'll turn back if necessary

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
We did see a list of stuff like rope bridge at Carrick which had been repaired
Giants Causeway, Dark Hedges etc the usual tourist stuff
Bad luck today though, she went down again and took me with her
I broke a brake lever and scratched a parked car and she broke a mirror
Car owner was nice and didn't ask for compensation though
We lucked out and found a honda dealer who put on a used lever for a fiver and replaced both mirrors for a twenty
On the road she is a reasonable rider but has trouble with curbs and u-turns
We're riding back to London
Doing the Lake Area tomorrow and the famous Hard Knot road which is supposed to be the twistiest in England
I won't push either of them though and we'll turn back if necessary
If you're passing a Halfords maybe you could pop in and pick up one of there for the ther rider :joy:
IMG_3090.JPG

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
If you're passing a Halfords maybe you could pop in and pick up one of there for the ther rider :joy:
View attachment 155788
She has only been riding for a month so I think pretty ballsy to come to a foreign place on a much bigger bike than she has (250) at home and be driving on the left to boot so I'm not angry at all. Just great that after 3 drops no one is hurt much or bikes damaged enough to have to cancel the trip
I'm not taking your post negatively it was funny but at the same time I think she should get credit for carrying on despite the blows to her confidence

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
She has only been riding for a month so I think pretty ballsy to come to a foreign place on a much bigger bike than she has (250) at home and be driving on the left to boot so I'm not angry at all. Just great that after 3 drops no one is hurt much or bikes damaged enough to have to cancel the trip
I'm not taking your post negatively it was funny but at the same time I think she should get credit for carrying on despite the blows to her confidence
ah man - i was only joking so i'm glad you didn't take it seriously

one of your group weren't involved in an accident outside Newcastle maybe a month ago? came across an accident where a rider came off (think she came off the bike and it slid across the road into a ditch, or maybe over it) - i'm just putting 2 and 2 together here and hope I'm getting 5

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
ah man - i was only joking so i'm glad you didn't take it seriously

one of your group weren't involved in an accident outside Newcastle maybe a month ago? came across an accident where a rider came off (think she came off the bike and it slid across the road into a ditch, or maybe over it) - i'm just putting 2 and 2 together here and hope I'm getting 5
I knew you weren't being serious so no harm done
Fortunately she wasn't in that accident you mentioned
Nary a scratch on her and only damage to her bike after three drops was some scratches and one mirror

RolyaT

RMS Regular
Drives
people mad
Shame the weather here has spoiled your trip here, hope you have a safe and enjoyful rest of your trip.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Don't get me wrong, sorry if I gave the impression the trip was no good
We've had a great time weather and bike mishaps not withstanding
Seen a lot of beautiful places, ridden on many fantastic roads, eaten lots of new interesting foods and met tons of fabulous friendly people so we're not regretting anything
My girls will remember this trip forever
They've forgotten a lot of stuff from when we made trips to Europe with them on the back
Now they've ridden their own bikes in foreign countries I think they'll be hooked as I have been
So thanks to Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish and English people who've made our trip a blast.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
You probably got the worst weather for it. Glad you kept your spirits up. If you're ever coming over again, april/may seems to be the better weather for us, not as warm but definately drier than August has been.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
She dropped it again yesterday
Bent front brake handle but still two finger useable
She still has good attitude though and is good rider when underway
Guess we'll have some intensive u-turn practice when we get home
Cloudy and drizzly today in the LAKE region
They're both touring Beatrix Potter (of Peter Rabbit) house and farm right now and then we hit the M roads for London
Sucks going home but still the trip was great
Thanks for the April timing tip

cupraricky

RMS Regular
She dropped it again yesterday
Bent front brake handle but still two finger useable
She still has good attitude though and is good rider when underway
Guess we'll have some intensive u-turn practice when we get home
Cloudy and drizzly today in the LAKE region
They're both touring Beatrix Potter (of Peter Rabbit) house and farm right now and then we hit the M roads for London
Sucks going home but still the trip was great
Thanks for the April timing tip

Fair do's to her. Friend of mine came off his few years ago, nothing too bad he was OK, bike wasn't....... But he hasn't been on a bike since, at least your daughter has the balls to keep going.

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
Went to France touring a few years ago..picked up a bunch on the way through England to join us. Anytime we had to do a u-turn one lady parked her bike up and got her hubby to get off his bike, turn hers then get back onto his own bike. She really didn't like u-turns, however, when in France we did a track day and she totally smoked my mate! She was really fast..he got some sleggin

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Fair do's to her, at least your daughter has the balls to keep going.
I'm very pleased with both girls for their performance. Actually was the new-to-riding friend doing most of the falling but after only a couple of months riding a small 250 Ninja. I tried to get into as few U-turn scenarios as possible but they came up. I did a number of them for the girls towards the end. So my daughter ended up dropping it twice, the first day and the last for a total of 2 brake levers and a separated muffler. The friend dropped it 4x with only one brake lever bent. Neither has a serious injury only a sore ankle for one and sore knee for the other. So both know what can happen without suffering much. The rental company, Superbikehire out of London, were great about it and only charged me minimal costs for the damage. I can highly recommend them for their bikes which were 8 and 9 yrs old but ran faultlessly and the communications were super from initial contact from US to enroute.
Well back home and planning next trip. Had a great time and wish there was more of it. Most likely never going back, only because I figure I''ll be lucky to have 11 yrs more riding to go since I'm almost 69 and there are over 160 countries I haven't ridden in yet. Just hope the daughters dont have babies any time soon because there days of going with me on these trips will probably be over.
Thanks to all of you who participated in this thread. If you're ever over here in LA give me a buzz if I can help. My number is 9 four 9 five 89 six six 30.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
I was at the same places you mentioned that week and sorry i missed you. Did you get any pictures while you were here? It would be nice to see some if you did.

Sorry to hear your holiday was tainted by the weather but hopefully it hasnt put you off coming back and perhaps venturing further south and exploring more of what we have to offer

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
dont know what the limit is

Attachments

• 17 Really nice air bnb, Keswick, Eng.jpg
    17 Really nice air bnb, Keswick, Eng.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 18 Alternate route to Cockermouth, Eng.jpg
    18 Alternate route to Cockermouth, Eng.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 19 Lot of dangerous squirrels around.jpg
    19 Lot of dangerous squirrels around.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20 Our bikes cost same as horses.jpg
    20 Our bikes cost same as horses.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 21 Fences made of rocks surround fields.jpg
    21 Fences made of rocks surround fields.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 79
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.