Zx6r Track Bike Build

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Aye well im just a silly computer geek by trade but love to fiddle and tinker with stuff and learnt alot from my old bikes, learnt alot over the years from the net and self learning too but still alot thats above my head for sure!

Sucks going back doesnt it!! Im still knocking in a 34hr week to my placement company and getting paid for the effort so money hasnt completely dried up but noticing the pinch from losing hours. Very tough on the head to keep up with uni and work, nevermind the mrs and life. This spannering is good for relaxing away from it all :grinning:

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Nothing better than doing something your interested in and giving it a go yourself, best way to learn I'd say.

Nice one to get kept on, we got replaced by more students so no need to be kept on tbh.

Back to working in retail a few hours to keep the cash flow but cannot wait to get final year out of the way and see how the jobs are fairing, although they sat us down in Uni and basically said there is no jobs and to look at a masters or more studies which wasn't my plan, I need to be out working or doing something.

Keeping up with the work and still maintaining some sort of life is working out ok so far lol but 12 weeks left basically so were halfway there. Although this exam next week is a must pass or it's bye bye graduation at the waterfront in June/July.

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Sports studies mate, hate it now as the chances of a job are nil lol Can't wait to finish and probably go a different direction lol

M@tt B

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx S14
Dude love it, looks well should sound well too (y)

Final year does suck, exam tomorrow, one monday and one thursday. The joys (n)

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Muaha mr breaker bar made light work of the bolt.

Also went down to see Jonny @ Bike bits NI again for some parts, must start a tab soon..

First things first, exhaust hooked up with springs and radiator back on. Cylinder 2 is touching the rad, should I be worried??

Will get a better pic.

Mmm much nicer

Time to get this lot fitted

Figured while I had the fluid all drained that I might aswell clean up the calipers. Only 2k miles but they were a bit sticky from sitting around

Messy job ..!!

Pistons and seals

Good scrub later using a cloth and some brake fluid and my hands feel like *****. But they look alot better. I know im a bit OCD but hey..

Bleed the buggers through using my peasant approved syringe and fishtank line method

et voila, ready to rock.

Stick on the grips

and time to relax

To be continued..! :grinning:

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Looks good :cool:

Have you got room to space the rad away from the manifold? Or is it worth / possible to have a small heat shield?

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Looks good :cool:

Have you got room to space the rad away from the manifold? Or is it worth / possible to have a small heat shield?

Theres a wee bracket holds the bottom of the rad to the block and it needs changed out just for something longer so will either fabricate something up or find a large spacer to push them apart a bit further.

For the first run I used handy mr spanner

20120114_144129.jpg

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Lol @ the spanner :party:

Reminds me of something we would've done back in the day of improvising :oops:

paddyh747

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Cant believe the old one went up in flames mate loved it. Wanting another bike again.

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Yeh it was a sad way for it to go but I cant say I didnt get my monies worth, rode it every day to work and out at the weekends for a blast for a year and a half (y)

The spanner has been replaced with some nice spacers and theses a good inch gap but will see if I can spacer it further depending on how the fairings fit.

Got it all together today for a quick test and had no mis-firing but need to get a real run on it, titanium is "blueing" up nicely though :laughing:

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
A bit indeed, hope to never see it happen again...

Chain and sprockets fitted, much cleaner looking and much better gear ratios!

Bikes in primer, aim is to look something like this

FL1P 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT 225
Great work pete saw it on nib, exhaust looks the rod! Some tasty extras. Keep up the good work!

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Few bits added today

Rip the top yoke off first

Ah ofcourse, these...

Lovely jubbly.

Paint wise.. Green is done and just needs masked and rest done in black before the lacquer - hopefully some stage this week :grinning:

Also - New visor to hide behind

To be continued..

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Smallish update..

After putting the clip-ons on I had removed the anchor point for the brake resevoir so had to make my own, so...

Bendy bendy and drilled......

Painted it with a sparkly silver to tie in with the top yoke

Need a longer resevoir hose to allow it to sit upright..

Painting wise.. Green is on and black is going on.. got the tail and belly done but both need clear done

Its a bit pikey but the fairings arent in great condition to begin with so just doing the best I can while saving a bit of wonga

To be continued

(Oh and I hate red dockets for failed deliveries!)

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX

(A whole roll of masking tape and 2 hours of lining up and covering up... !!)

Also got this smaller brake res while up at module grabbing the exhaust bracket. ta !!

No longer fouls the fairings but will need a bit more loving to be kept topped up.

Last part arrived

Just a few stickers to go on :grinning:

Bit of a change so far

to

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
418990_253124024769112_138093512938831_538971_1776382623_n.jpg

409513_306360502760984_100001611090694_873755_611944264_n.jpg

Wee bikes been going ok so far but im really excited for tomorrows track day

Now got my USB remappable fuelling module, should make alot more from the full race system (y)

Souleh

RMS Regular
OP
Souleh
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Ran out of talent, oops. Ah well, not crashing = not trying hard enough!!

Kirkistown hairpin.

Thats why you bring cable ties and duct tape to a track. No real damage, just fibreglass and paint

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
Lovely wee bike lad. She'll go real well after you get it sorted with the power commander.

As for the crash - the only way to find your limits is to go beyond them!!;) Besides much better finding limits at the track and sliding on gravel/grass than on the road and sliding into something rather more solid!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.