Will HID's pass MOT

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
They should fail, as there is no correct beam pattern anymore, and the lights blind oncoming drivers.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Agreed with Stevie (y) But regardless, search holds your answer as it has been asked a few times :grinning:

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
on a side note i jus passed mot in the big vec 2 hours ago wi gettin headlights set and a wash underneath... good times :laughing:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
They should fail, as there is no correct beam pattern anymore, and the lights blind oncoming drivers.
I've just fitted HiD's to my S70, and there is bugger all wrong with the beam pattern, a good Zenon kit, with good headlights will pass mot as long as the beam pattern is good and set correctly.

GavRS182

RMS Regular
Drives
RS Clio 182
As said above if you arent running 'Projector' style headlights the beam will be scattered, blinding to other drivers and will most like fail!

Your bound to have the old bulbs kicking about still, whack them in for the MOT and then plug your HIDs back in after! Job done (y)

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
As said above if you arent running 'Projector' style headlights the beam will be scattered, blinding to other drivers and will most like fail!

Your bound to have the old bulbs kicking about still, whack them in for the MOT and then plug your HIDs back in after! Job done (y)
$4itty Zenon kits will do this, a good kit won't

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
$4itty Zenon kits will do this, a good kit won't

It's not the xenon kit, it's whether or not the headlight unit has a projector lens which distributes the light evenly.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Trust me, its the Zenon kit, projector headlights are not required for Zenon lights, Laguna to name one comes factory std with Zenon's and not a projector headlight in sight, also, did you not see above where I said I fitted Zenon's to my S70, I've yet to see an S70 with projector headlights, and the beam pattern is perfect. Its the same as a bad H4 /H7 bulb.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I thought it was more to do with the reflector in the headlight too :confounded: Some just have a big open reflector to 'intensify' the beam compared to a smaller reflector headlight?!?!

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Passed MOT twice with HIDs in Astra reflector lights, one in the Mk4, one in the Mk5. Decent HID kits though, with the black strips on the bulbs to fix the beam pattern.

GT-1756

RMS Regular
Drives
Bora

You should tell Renault to remove them from there older Lagunas as they are reflector headlights...

HIDs4u.co.uk sell anti glare bulbs now to stop the blinding!!!

sam_9n

RMS Regular
You should tell Renault to remove them from there older Lagunas as they are reflector headlights...

these the ones your on about?

are they only suited for projector units?

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
They will fail in a normal headlight chum, no matter who tells you what! tired in my clio and failed (y)

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
The HID's on my sdecond 200 passed MOT no problem and that wasnt that long ago ... (y)

sam_9n

RMS Regular
They will fail in a normal headlight chum, no matter who tells you what! tired in my clio and failed (y)

so I would say the definitive answer to this is:

it depends where you go!!!

i cba risking a retest so for the sake of a few quid swap them to standard and put the HID's back in after (y)

may seem like hassle but saves you £17.50 ish for a retest

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

I know Renault are cheap dung, but Im sure they dont fit stuff to their cars off ebay. And they would be tested properly prior to putting their cars for sale.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Jesus people, does the word of an MOT man, looking at headlights every day, not good enough.....

itis but its obvious from some peoples reactions that they have been failed for it before

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.