Will HID's pass MOT

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
itis but its obvious from some peoples reactions that they have been failed for it before
Yes, failed for poor beam pattern, find me someone who has been failed for having an HiD kit fitted and I'll personally get them a free retest.

Bad headlight + Bad HiD kit = MOT fail
Good headlight + Good HiD kit = MOT pass

SIMPLEZ

big cyril

RMS Regular
@JCLC, respect your opinion with you being an MOT tester.
But do you not think that the aftermarket HID's are mostly blinders for oncoming traffic?

Lappin

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi RS3
absolutely hate hids, blinding driving in the opposite direction and when driving in the same direction from behind its bone chilling few moments as its a fair chance it could be the ppppolice, then a felt spec toldeo passes and covers you in reek.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
@JCLC, respect your opinion with you being an MOT tester.
But do you not think that the aftermarket HID's are mostly blinders for oncoming traffic?
Only those with a poor beam pattern, an if you meet a car with a bad beam pattern with standard bulbs in, they will blind you as well. My set I have had in now for a month, and not one driver has flashed at me. The bro in law passed me the other night on a back road, and he even said it was no worse than any other car. If the set I bought had a poor beam pattern, it would've come right back out again. Its just another example of poorly modified motors in Ulster. My kit was £35 from China, so far I'm very impressed, excellent light at night time, and are really good for cutting though fog.

My car with the HiD's, although it daytime, you notice there is no glare from the lights....
photo0225.jpg

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
From what I have heard, as long as the the lights point in the right direction they will pass MOT, were i worked called up the Larne Test centre, as we had a customers car with hid's in, and we wer MOT checking it.Wern't sure outselves what the situation would have been.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
JCLC - define a poor beam pattern? I'm up for MOT in a few weeks myself and don't know whether or not to remove my HIDs. (Obviously, I'll be getting the lights aligned regardless of which bulbs are in)

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
JCLC - define a poor beam pattern? I'm up for MOT in a few weeks myself and don't know whether or not to remove my HIDs. (Obviously, I'll be getting the lights aligned regardless of which bulbs are in)
I beam patter should have a sharp line and a kick-up to the hedge with the rest of the image below it, poor pattern is a fuzzy line or no line at all and just a blur on the screen.

lights_diagram1.gif

If you shine your lights against a wall, you should see something like this, and if you switch your mainbeam on, this is what a poor patter looks like, just not as bright.

mants

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 320ci M Spor
Would my 2004 bmw 320ci that has projector lenses, if i were to put in a 4300k HID kit, would this pass MOT. i dont mind spending the money on a good set of HIDs if anyone can link me to certain type they can reccomend for me to get.

cheers

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Would my 2004 bmw 320ci that has projector lenses, if i were to put in a 4300k HID kit, would this pass MOT. i dont mind spending the money on a good set of HIDs if anyone can link me to certain type they can reccomend for me to get.

cheers
Don't see why they wouldn't as long as the beam pattern is good...

So how many times do I need to type this??

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
The thing is though "good beam pattern" is too subjective to know whether your car will get through or not.

I think the safer option is to refit the standard bulbs..

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A7
As soon as my car with HIDS passed mot, I put the lights shining on the garage wall, went around the pattern with masking tape, now everytime I need to check the pattern I use the tape as a reference, works great lol

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
I fitted the hids direct kit & a set of projectors & got them aligned, my beam pattern is exactly like the image above & very sharp lines. Before I had them aligned I was being flashed like fook

Dudez

RMS Regular
Drives
LC150/MK7 GTI
I put them in my car, got them aligned and sailed through MOT in omagh, guy asked me if they were gas discharge bulbs and i told him yes, that was it

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I had HID's for awhile, had them aligned and never got flashed once. Never tried an MOT with them in though

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.