E60 525d - turbo issue?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Go for a Vaico crank case breather. Any auto factors should stock them for around £10 for just the vortex insert that @Ge0rge used, or £20 for the whole case (not necessary to replace). Ensure you fit the o-ring and that the gaskets are seated property prior to fitting too.

Ge0rge

Banned
Go for a Vaico crank case breather. Any auto factors should stock them for around £10 for just the vortex insert that @Ge0rge used, or £20 for the whole case (not necessary to replace). Ensure you fit the o-ring and that the gaskets are seated property prior to fitting too.
Just out of interest what happens if you leave the vortex insert out? I left it out of the last 530 I had as i had a felling it played a part in turbo blowing, was the vortex one though the paper one

Last edited:

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Usually Bangor Autoparts or Autowindscreens for me - I'll give them a shout.
Thank you.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Colin Adams has one in stock (y)
Nobody else could even get one!
Just the filter and the seals - £11 ish. Not sure if that's with or without vat - hope to collect later on.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
So. £13 inc from Adams, and as fate would have it, a few dry hours!!
Job almost done (pollen filters to replace) but had to nip out to collect my daughter form work.
Thanks for all the help and advice. Changed the breather, seals and o ring and wiped round the top of the mount area to keep an eye on it. Was going to use some AG engine cleaner and an open hose to try and clean it up a bit better, but would rather have the under tray off for that, so I'll leave it like this for the time being. If nothing appears I'll give it a better clean in a few days.
Fingers crossed!

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
From this
image.jpeg
to this
image.jpeg
hope its enough?
Definitely worth a try, so thanks again.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I took pics of mine also an thankfully not a single drop lost since an mine was rightly losing oil out past the breather

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Apart from the actual leak, are there any other issues caused by this issue?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Apart from the actual leak, are there any other issues caused by this issue?

Crank case can't breath and ends up pressurising, the gravity oil return from the turbo is met with pressure and won't return the oil to the sump and it has to find somewhere to go, normally out the exhaust or into the boost pipes due to bypassing the either seal.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
So theoretically it could make the car smokier than usual (dpf deleted)?

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Mmm. I'd say black but I couldn't be sure there wasn't more to it. I've only noticed it in the rear view but haven't yet investigated it further.
I just thought I'd ask bearing in mind what you said earlier ....
I did suspect MAF on its way out too. I have driven a bit with it unplugged and no issues, but tonight when putting the car back together I reconnected it in and will give it a run tomorrow.
I thought the two things (MAF and leak) were separate and perhaps coincidental. I didn't think about the crankcase breather until it was suggested here and I'm wondering is that actually the root of the problems? And perhaps MAF will be fine. Lol!

colin84

RMS Regular
What symptoms did you suffer Colin? Or rather, the car ;)

A wrote off engine. Especially surprising on a car with full BMW service history, verified by BMW themselves.

Shows the importance of regular oil changes.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Black smoke tends to be unburnt diesel; bad injector(s), boost leak around boost pipe joints/intercooler/inlet manifold (prone to splitting or 1 of the 12 seals failing), MAP sensor, MAF, turbo unable to achieve desired boost through mechanical failure etc...

Any of the above would have a detrimental effect on your air/fuel ratio, resulting in more smoke or rougher running than you should be experiencing, along with decreased MPG.

That said, if it's oil burning that's creating the smoke, the turbo would be the first port of call to check as they're so renowned for turbo failure, yet the engines themselves rarely give bother as far as oil issues go. BMW really created a fantastic engine when they carved the M57 (I'm sure @Alan B is sick of hearing me repeatedly say that by now), it's just a pity they didn't think as much of it and chose to leave the service intervals so far apart.

Last edited:

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
@Nicky I'm not at all, because its the best part about my RR! Will get an evening with you next week sometime, with Indian food of course (y)

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Had a very short run this morning and although not as rough as previously, not as good as with the MAF disconnected. Feels like it's driving in waves - a little surge followed by a lull. Not as violent as 'kangaroo petrol' but maybe the same idea. Failing MAF?
Haven't checked for any fresh oil as yet but I will shortly.

Ge0rge

Banned
Had a very short run this morning and although not as rough as previously, not as good as with the MAF disconnected. Feels like it's driving in waves - a little surge followed by a lull. Not as violent as 'kangaroo petrol' but maybe the same idea. Failing MAF?
Haven't checked for any fresh oil as yet but I will shortly.
No eml light ? Do you mean the turbo only sometimes boosts ?

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Little bit of rev hunting at idle, but the oil is still leaking into the engine mount :worried:
Is there definitely no seal in there? I tried to use RealOEM but not sure if I'm in the right place!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.