E60 525d - turbo issue?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
No eml light ? Do you mean the turbo only sometimes boosts ?
Emissions light is on?
Talking about slow speed / moving off. It still 'goes' if you make it, just not very smooth when tootling around. I'll maybe try to get a known good MAF to test.
No codes in INPA either, except for some glow plugs and when the MAF was disconnected.
I have had problems with lack of boost on occasion but the car has run fine - just no oomph when you put the foot down.

Last edited:

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Tried driving with the window down to listen for boost leaks or lose pipes?
No tbh, just listened under the bonnet but not whilst driving. To do (y)
Gave the MAF a quick clean, just to see. Will go for a drive shortly and see if there's any change. Interestingly the emissions light went out on start up.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
That seal is what seals the compressed air between the boost pipe and the compressor housing. If you're losing large amounts of oil from there, the engine is either pushing oil into the turbo from the breather system, or else the front seal in the turbo is allowing the oil into the comp housing and pressurising it with the air.

Did you wash the drivers side of the engine down properly prior to driving the car?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Emissions light is on?
Talking about slow speed / moving off. It still 'goes' if you make it, just not very smooth when tootling around. I'll maybe try to get a known good MAF to test.
No codes in INPA either, except for some glow plugs and when the MAF was disconnected.
I have had problems with lack of boost on occasion but the car has run fine - just no oomph when you put the foot down.

Lack of "oomph" could well be as simple as a split or perished vacuum line. Again, it would need checked with a gauge and could include a bit of stripping.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
No Nicky I just cleaned the top area with a rag. Can't say it's large amounts but enough to show. Just weird. There's defo an ooze from that area anyway, but even after the drive nowhere near as much as before. I think! Didn't want to wash with the under tray on so I'll try to get that off and give it a clean. Apart from the mount there is no way of knowing what else is fresh. A good wash down will help - any electrics I need to he concerned about low down?
Drove to Belfast and back and the emission light came back on. Car not just as bad but I'll do the journey tomorrow again with the MAF unplugged.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Fitted the replacement MAF (used, warranted) as a test. On first drive it did seem better, although on restart the idle can be very lumpy. I didn't experience this with my original MAF either connected or not, but maybe it needs some time to adapt? I did notice some oil around the edge of the auxiliary pipe on the MAF to turbo pipe when i removed it if that has any relevance?
And lastly - these problems seemed to start with the oil change. This is perhaps coincidental, but Castrol Magnetec was used - I was assured this met the required standard, but is it possible that may have some sort of bearing on any of the ongoing issues?
Fault codes continually show 3 glow plugs, and a mixture of others - 3FF1 which relates to the MAF, 4530 has appeared too which is 'charge air', 4587 fuel filter as well. None of these are regular or consistent, which is why I don't want to start swapping parts out, but may be worth a try.........

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Well despite early promise, emissions light is back on, accompanied by rough running and more black smoke. Feck!!
Can't be another bad MAF so guessing now that the problem is being 'masked' by it.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Well despite early promise, emissions light is back on, accompanied by rough running and more black smoke. Feck!!
Can't be another bad MAF so guessing now that the problem is being 'masked' by it.
Probably be easier taking to someone who knows what they doing or you'll be replacing and spend money on parts that ain't needed bud.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
They mostly leak from the inlet manifold seals.
Is that the orange 'square' seals?
I'm thinking if I can remove the manifold I might see what, if anything, is actually going on. Probably should get the glow plugs changed at that point too.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Is that the orange 'square' seals?
I'm thinking if I can remove the manifold I might see what, if anything, is actually going on. Probably should get the glow plugs changed at that point too.

There's round seals on the top ports too:

image.jpeg

6x 32mm BMW SWIRL FLAP BLANKING PLATES MANIFOLD GASKETS REPLACEMENT

The large round seal if for between the manifold and EGR housing.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Thanks Nicky. Blanking plates fitted so hopefully they're still OK.
And the round seals are on the driver side which may also tie in with the oil showing on that side. Sounds like a plan.

Last edited:

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Seals ordered. Haven't the time or the inclination to take the manifold off to check first. At least if the seals are here I'll only be removing it once. Hopefully!

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
There's round seals on the top ports too:The large round seal if for between the manifold and EGR housing.
Got the manifold off today. Mucky underneath the egr (blanked) and other areas. No obvious signs of a leak though all apertures pretty gunked up?!

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Found this too. I expect it's to do with the egr as I found a matching vac pipe blocked up, but should there be a small pipe too? I can't find one and I didn't need to disconnect it before removing the manifold?
image.jpeg

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
AND I think there is maybe a leak from here
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Is it the pipe from the rad?

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
So after the last tinkering I was off on holiday and car stood for three weeks. Tonight took it out and it's very smoky. Got the low oil pressure warning so turned round to come home. Hardly any power but managed to limp it back. Opened the bonnet and the cover and engine bay is covered in a fine layer of 'soot'? Was not like this before - I'd given it a good clean when I did the work before.
So I need some more help please!!
Egr and dpf already deleted, but are we pointing to turbo failure now?

Ge0rge

Banned
So after the last tinkering I was off on holiday and car stood for three weeks. Tonight took it out and it's very smoky. Got the low oil pressure warning so turned round to come home. Hardly any power but managed to limp it back. Opened the bonnet and the cover and engine bay is covered in a fine layer of 'soot'? Was not like this before - I'd given it a good clean when I did the work before.
So I need some more help please!!
Egr and dpf already deleted, but are we pointing to turbo failure now?
Much u lookin for it I like problem cars

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.