Hot New Hyundai i30N Tested at Kirkistown

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this - Yes, you have read that correctly! It is with some surprise that I scribble such a title as for most readers, placing 'Hyundai' and 'track test' in the same sentence is something that will never have been thought possible... until now!

Thanks to Daly's Garage in Belfast, we got to experience an all-new hot-hatch from Hyundai, the first of the 'N' cars to be released from the Korean manufacturer and a car that has arrived in a very busy and well established segment.
Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

Triumph Fan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST
The i30N seems to be getting some rave reviews. It will be interesting to see what lease deals are available for them.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Seen it sitting outside Dalys earlier. Nice looking thing(y)

(Edited, bloody autocorrect)

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
One of the most exciting cars in a long time in this segment, a proper hot hatch and not just a warmed up version of a diesel rep-mobile. Without going ott like the civic or Megane.

Hyundai have been doing a lot of things right lately, long may it continue.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Im am far from a fan of hyundai but this is excellent.
Doors for the kids
Tuning potential
Long warranty
A diff all fwd cars should have

Well done Koreans

Didnt read it all do they come with an automatic option.
Keyless entry as standard on the i30N and i30N Performance, yes

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
I don't know. I think if i want a hot-hatch track-weapon like this i sort of want it to look at least a bit garish. This is very understated, but it does look nice and a lot of careful thought has gone in to it.

Hyundai have been making great cars now for years, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to some of you at all. Sadly the UK never got some of them. My wifes Genesis Coupe R-spec was an incredible car, really solidly built, brembos, cracking suspension and a 3.6L V6 pushing 315 with an LSD, it was a hoot on the mountain roads and easy to scoot round town in.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Be very interested to see how these hold/lose value over the next 12/18 months.

Depending on what Ford do with the Focus ST, this is probably the only worthy alternative to the Golf GTI.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
I don't know. I think if i want a hot-hatch track-weapon like this i sort of want it to look at least a bit garish. This is very understated, but it does look nice and a lot of careful thought has gone in to it.

Hyundai have been making great cars now for years, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to some of you at all. Sadly the UK never got some of them. My wifes Genesis Coupe R-spec was an incredible car, really solidly built, brembos, cracking suspension and a 3.6L V6 pushing 315 with an LSD, it was a hoot on the mountain roads and easy to scoot round town in.

I had one of the V6 coupes, and was gutted when they didn't bring the Genesis coupe to Europe. Only that runt of a veloster +o(

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Think My bro was first up that morning for a test drive. Said it was great craic car but can't see too many being sold here... fairly pricey

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Think My bro was first up that morning for a test drive. Said it was great craic car but can't see too many being sold here... fairly pricey

Getting pricey enough for most of the sportier end of the fwd hot hatch market... Megane, Leon,. Civic... All £30k+ now. Hyundai's cheaper than them by a wodge.

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Very affordable for what it is and if you went into Daly today i would say you could bag a Performance for much the same as the entry model.

Won't be a seller based solely on badge - which is a very very sad thing !

FN2DAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon
Great looking motor. One in bloomfields bangor today!!
20180203_132651.jpg
20180203_132308.jpg

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
That one you test drove, my neighbour brings it home at night with him and the sound of the thing is unreal !

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
I assume you are mallusk then, that will be one of the lads from the dealership

I am indeed sir, Just off the Hightown road. it was the reg that caught my eye when he first brought it home at first i thought it was a normal i30. It never had the decals etc when he first brought it home.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Couldn't believe when I read the latest issue of Evo and they rated this over the Golf GTi. Go Hyundai, always like an underdog coming in and blowing away the established champion.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Couldn't believe when I read the latest issue of Evo and they rated this over the Golf GTi. Go Hyundai, always like an underdog coming in and blowing away the established champion.
They had to employ a German though lol

But yes huge kudos to Hyundai, a bold move to launch a car into this well established segment

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I reckon this is a much better car than a Golf. And not just on price. All in the detail.

It will get Hyundai residuals of course just because of badge snobbery, but if you can live with that then this must be the best car in the sector at the moment.

If all you want is a comfy place to spend time in motorway queues then by all means get the Golf. If all you want is an out and out track weapon or traffic light drag racer then get the Megane or the Honda. For something genuinely fun and enjoyable in the real world get the Hyundai.

That's my penny's worth at least :cool:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Is it really going to take people away from the rivals but? I just can’t see it. I can understand the non performance Hyundai’s being a popular choice compared to the alternatives, but I just can’t see how many “car folk” that are into their performance hatches actually forking out £28k and committing.

I say that as a big Hyundai fan too, I’ve had loads as hire cars and really rate them.