Finance

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

sam_man

RMS Regular
I’ve had my wife’s car up for sale for the past few weeks with no signs of any genuine interest. The car has low mileage and reasonably priced.

With a price tag of just over £10k, I’m thinking that as it’s a private sale and therefore cash or personal loan buyers the lack of a finance option may be a big factor in it not shifting.

This may be a long shot, but are there any members / car dealers out there that could provide car finance for any potential buyers if needed?

Thanks

RevT

RMS Regular
Many could do it for you I’m sure but I’m pretty sure it’ll leave them technically liable for any warranty issues etc.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
It’s so easily done individually these days online in all honesty it would be crazy to do any other way.
The market is slow now for things, every car needs the right man or woman so it’s just a waiting game. Also I personally believe really good pictures sell a car and make it stand out above others so that would help.

Have you advertised here as well?

sam_man

RMS Regular
OP
S
I had thought that warranty might be an issue the finance route.

The car is advertised on usedcarsni with decent photographs, it’s just a waiting game I guess!

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I had thought that warranty might be an issue the finance route.

The car is advertised on usedcarsni with decent photographs, it’s just a waiting game I guess!
Have you a link?

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I can understand finance and this pcp stuff but I’ve always liked to own my stuff, when your effectively just renting what do you do when you loose your job? Just hand it back! At least if you own it you have something to try and sell and get some money in the bank to get by on, suppose it was just the way my parents taught me.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Are you sure that advert is live ? It’s showing as “archived”. When I search on UCNI there is no sign of it.

MarkM

RMS Regular
I can understand finance and this pcp stuff but I’ve always liked to own my stuff, when your effectively just renting what do you do when you loose your job? Just hand it back! At least if you own it you have something to try and sell and get some money in the bank to get by on, suppose it was just the way my parents taught me.

I’m the same, if I can’t afford it l, I don’t have it, drummed into me from an early age lol

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus TDCI
After 6 months of trying to sell the MSX privately I ended up selling it to a dealer and lost my shirt on it.

But this thread reminds me of a news article I read the other day that said around 70% of under 40s have no savings and chose to finance instead.

Call me old fashioned but I always like have savings, redundancy thought me that lesson.

J55NI

RMS Regular
I’m the same, if I can’t afford it l, I don’t have it, drummed into me from an early age lol
I have always been the same but recently these lease deals have got my interest and could be tempted to pcp/lease in future. I was thinking the other day I bought my last car 2 years ago 17k cash and if I sold it today would get around 11k for it plus the cost of extended warranty I took. I could have leased a new one for similar sort of costs over the 2 year period and used my lump sum elsewhere. If you buy it outright the depreciation is nearly the same/more than the cost of leasing etc with some of the deals available now?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

Take it on the drip, lose your job, hand it back and be down £XXX which is probably hand in hand with depreciation.

Buy it outright, lose your job, struggle to sell it, pull your hair out, take a huge lose and be worse off than had you been able to surrender it there and then when you lost your job...

Pro’s and Con’s to every scenario.

Have you got a mortgage or did you buy your house outright too?

MarkM

RMS Regular
I have always been the same but recently these lease deals have got my interest and could be tempted to pcp/lease in future. I was thinking the other day I bought my last car 2 years ago 17k cash and if I sold it today would get around 11k for it plus the cost of extended warranty I took. I could have leased a new one for similar sort of costs over the 2 year period and used my lump sum elsewhere. If you buy it outright the depreciation is nearly the same/more than the cost of leasing etc with some of the deals available now?

Oh I do see the benefits with certain situations, buying my car brand new without pcp and it’s guaranteed final value and ability to walk away would be financial suicide, still, I just can’t get my head around doing it personally, I’ve been in business 20 years, been through some properly sticky times, months when I didn’t pay myself, mortgage always comes 1st, owning a car the only way for my situation, it can always sit in the garage if I can’t afford to run it, at least I don’t have to worry about it!

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

There's always this assumption that someone renting/leasing hasn't anything in the bank at all. If you lose your job you hand it back, pay the fine and use your savings and investments as fall back surely?

J55NI

RMS Regular
Oh I do see the benefits with certain situations, buying my car brand new without pcp and it’s guaranteed final value and ability to walk away would be financial suicide, still, I just can’t get my head around doing it personally, I’ve been in business 20 years, been through some properly sticky times, months when I didn’t pay myself, mortgage always comes 1st, owning a car the only way for my situation, it can always sit in the garage if I can’t afford to run it, at least I don’t have to worry about it!

Yea I've always been the same but in my head when I look at it there's definitely not a massive difference between the both in terms of overall cost of ownership of the vehicle from what I can see.

I was actually gonna start a thread on this the other day to hear others opinions on this topic of, owning outright vs renting/pcp/up etc :grinning:

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
There's always this assumption that someone renting/leasing hasn't anything in the bank at all. If you lose your job you hand it back, pay the fine and use your savings and investments as fall back surely?

Not the assumption at all but I can see how it comes across that way, a suppose it just the way I think and I hang on to my cars for a bit, I can see the potential in pcp if you have a healthy bank balance and want to change often.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Yea I've always been the same but in my head when I look at it there's definitely not a massive difference between the both in terms of overall cost of ownership of the vehicle from what I can see.

I was actually gonna start a thread on this the other day to hear others opinions on this topic of, owning outright vs renting/pcp/up etc :grinning:

That would be intresting! I’d say it will be lively, always quite the tetchy subject on pistonheads.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Not the assumption at all but I can see how it comes across that way, a suppose it just the way I think and I hang on to my cars for a bit, I can see the potential in pcp if you have a healthy bank balance and want to change often.

It's not even that. It's having £xk sitting on the drive depreciating Vs having it working for you.

Anyway in this case I doubt it's finance. Loans are easy to get and rates are lower than most finance offerings. Probably more of a case of no warranty. Could always offer a warranty with the car through a 3rd party.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.