Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Actually, I do remember seeing that. The guy was/is on the CRX UK forum I think.

Still not seen it driven other than that video.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Slow progress but good progress today.....

Engine mounts tacked:
1OE66AJ.jpg

Finally welded and fitted in for the last time:
wXAu7fy.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Love to see this being built.

I wouldn't have the time or patience or peace for that matter with 2 young kids!

Haha! I surprise myself to be honest. My brother said to me last night "you're making some progress for someone who hates working on cars!" lol.

Most of the major work has been done at this stage. Once we finish the cage and mount the steering column, theres only a few little odd jobs to do before I can strip it back and send off for powder coating.

Reactions: IL

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
How do you go about wiring something like this? Just take the mx5 loom and take out what you don't need?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
How do you go about wiring something like this? Just take the mx5 loom and take out what you don't need?

Admittedly, I know nothing about wiring. I do however, have an entire MX5 loom from the same car that my engine and box came out of. The loom was carefully labelled as it was removed. My plan is to droop it over the car and plug it all in, connect up a battery and try turning it over. Surely then it is just a case as you say of removing the crap that I don't need and checking frequently to ensure that I've not removed something that stops it from cranking?

Others have advised to find a pinout diagram for the MK2.5 mx5 and just unplug each wire as I go along. I have not been able to find a pinout diagram for the car yet though

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Thanks to Pete at Brookfab for the front roll hoop tonight - I should be able to get this in by tomorrow night. Also got some 1.2mm aluminium sheet for the side panels and transmission tunnel.

Roll hoop is only roughly secured on with some G-clamps and some wire. Looks pretty good in my opinion.

P.S. Excuse the dodgy bonnet - that's a bonnet scoop in the making :p

sEXmAwi.jpg

BSUhqtS.jpg

Z4Ytpcb.jpg

By the weekend, I would like to have the rose-jointed panhard rod made and fitted, my fuel cell secured, the steering column mounted and roll cage complete :p

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Loads of progress today....

Complete MX5 steering column mounted. It should be IVA friendly as it retains the full collapsible section. The lower mount just needs finished off
vjaJSnN.jpg

I also got my modified prop back and fitted in:
8bjqv0o.jpg

Rose jointed panhard rod finished and fitted albeit without the misalignment spacers. One end is right hand thread and the other left hand thread so by spinning the tube with both ends connected up, it lengthens/shortens accordingly.
tsVjLlS.jpg

Roll cage is finished. Please excuse the trick nuts on the side mounts lol. They'll be chopped off obviously.
G4R8SmW.jpg

I know it would be class with the side bars, but I'm fed up with the cage at this stage. I might add them in at a later.

Fuel cell mount made up and fitted in :grinning:
4KzfbHw.jpg

Nice bit done for a day's work :p

Last edited:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
That/those made me Laugh, I thought you where building this for a bit of flatland! :laughing:

Haha! Could take out a few old ladies with them bad boys!

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Haha! Could take out a few old ladies with them bad boys!
I have seen, and used these bars on a few Caterhams to allow you to step on them to climb in from the top as with the big side bars you can't get in the side. I wouldn't rush to cut them off.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I have seen, and used these bars on a few Caterhams to allow you to step on them to climb in from the top as with the big side bars you can't get in the side. I wouldn't rush to cut them off.

Makes perfect sense but there's no way I could live with them. I am certain that they'd fail IVA also lol

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
This is coming on well. Will be nice to have it blasted and see it coated, seems like a good step.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Before coating I would fold up a wee bit of steel and triangulate those top shocker mounts, it will add strength and make it look more finished :grinning:

Also, look at welding in Harness bosses around the top and base of the rear bulkhead if you haven't already!

and Personal preference but I would panel it now & Powdercoat the panels separately aswell, it makes for a nicer finish and easier kept!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Thanks again to Pete at BrookFab for the following:

Shortened sump with turbo oil feed fitting
OlYAoRV.jpg

Lower half of MX5 column with collapsible section modified to take the 9/16 36 spline UJ and Ford-fitting steering shaft.
syq2jRL.jpg

Coming together nicely now! Painted by next weekend and then the final assembly can start!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
You are flying. Fair play, all too often these things get started and never finished. At this rate your going to beat me lol!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
You are flying. Fair play, all too often these things get started and never finished. At this rate your going to beat me lol!

Haha! Driving by end of March is now the goal! Maybe a track day in April?! Is that a bit ambitious? Lol

Reactions: Rob

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Don't forget about the potential for electrical and mechanical gremlins, building it is one part, getting it to the sweet spot is another.

Stop raining on my parade! Lol. Oj man, I know that heartache is yet to come