Once common cars that you don't see anymore

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
There's loads of cars - the Renault Safranne, Ford Scorpio/Granada, Vauxhall Calibra. Can't remember the last time I seen a Rover either.

What happened to all the old Japanese stuff though, Starlet GT's, Glanza V, 200SX, R33 Skyline's, EG/EK/MB Civics. It was like one week they were everywhere and then they were all gone!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
White sierra this morning in Newry, either a Cosworth or a rep. There is a blue classic impreza estate on gold speedlines always sits a few cars down. Only an RX but has the scoop.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
There is a young fella driving about Portstewart with a white Nova SR that I see quite regularly.

A friend also has a V6 406 Coupe. Not many about even when they were relatively new.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Citroen BX.

Mid-Ulster used to be awash with them.

I fitted many a tyre to them when serving my time.

I remember having to put the wheel trim on before the wheel bolts and having to start the engine to lift the suspension in order to get them off the ramp! The joys...

2DACAF5D-5727-496C-A2A1-0933EF9A0878.jpeg

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Citroen BX.

Mid-Ulster used to be awash with them.

I fitted many a tyre to them when serving my time.

I remember having to put the wheel trim on before the wheel bolts and having to start the engine to lift the suspension in order to get them off the ramp! The joys...

View attachment 250448

I probably have about 1/4 of the remaining ones lol

Best one (GTi 16V with throttle bodies and fully rebuilt engine) (Second pic was mid spraying/restore) Cogu7Vou.jpeg Al6YuuQX.jpeg

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
One car that used to be everywhere but seems getting much thinner on ground is the ep3 type R. They will soon be fairly collectible.

I haven’t seen an EP3 on the road in years that didn’t look like it was on its way to Traynors.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Rx8s. When they were new, they were relatively cheap and bought up by the sorts that would normally buy a base model TT or Scirocco but there's so few of them about now. (probably down to the amount of care they require and their running costs)

I even spent a good portion of the last few days watching videos on how to rebuild rotory engines on them. I still have a yearning for one despite the warnings.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Rx8s. When they were new, they were relatively cheap and bought up by the sorts that would normally buy a base model TT or Scirocco but there's so few of them about now. (probably down to the amount of care they require and their running costs)

I even spent a good portion of the last few days watching videos on how to rebuild rotory engines on them. I still have a yearning for one despite the warnings.
Bought by folk who wanted rwd and a lsd, not a dreary Quattro or fwd.

KevM

RMS Regular
In the late 80’s/90’s, this country was literally full of:-

Audi 80/90/100
Citroen AX/BX/xantia/XM/CX
Peugeot 205/305/309/405/505/605/805
Renault 5/9/11/18/19/21/Savanna/mk1 Clio/mk1 Espace
Toyota Carina E (literally every taxi in NI)
Toyota Tercel/Previa/Camry/Hiace/Vanette
Nissan Sunny/100NX
Ford Probe/Granada
Skoda - Lada - Yugo
Isuzu Piazzo
Mercedes 190/280/300d
Austin Maestro/Montego/Metro
Subaru Legacy mk1

Etc etc

All gone!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Bought by folk who wanted rwd and a lsd, not a dreary Quattro or fwd.
My friend worked at Mazda at the time. I know it's a well balanced driver's car but the majority he sold were to middle aged judges and hairdressers.

In fact they had the one of the first seized engines sent away to England because the owner ignored the oil light. This was after 13 months of ownership.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
The 232 RX8 is still one of the best driving cars I've experienced. Certainly not fast but really smooth, handled well and easy to predict, always thought one would be great for the likes of Kirkistown.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Saw a brown Maestro in Ards last night that made me think of this thread - beige interior too.

My family had a long line of Metros and Maestros, by the time I got my L's we had a red MG Montego.

The Austin/Rover badge still conjured up all sorts of memories!
Metro GTa in the classifieds on here at the moment

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
My friend worked at Mazda at the time. I know it's a well balanced driver's car but the majority he sold were to middle aged judges and hairdressers.

In fact they had the one of the first seized engines sent away to England because the owner ignored the oil light. This was after 13 months of ownership.
Mine flooded twice, needed new starter motor and oil cooler pipes went, apart from that was grand and had it near 3 years. Was a great driving car.

DavyC

RMS Regular
Pic stolen from the net, but the fella 2 houses along from me has one near identical looking and kept mint. Garaged every night, cleaned underneath and oiled every now and again, only ever top branded tyres fitted etc etc. Works local too so would be lucky to do 40 miles a week.
bcd76f306120b0fc0100c87923c432b5.jpg