Golf R32 - a fixer upper

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Long story time. . . . . So Scooby went a week ago after me deciding that I no longer enjoyed driving it. A few various reasons , road conditions, other road users and just lack of desire to go out really. If I'm honest , since the piston failure my heart or head wasn't in it really. I had "the fear" even though it was rebuilt with stronger internals I just couldn't shake it. The car just felt above me or something. I had it sitting perfect (in my eyes) and driving perfect , but i just lost interest in taking it out.

Now I was excited to get something cheaper and rough so i could tinker with , and tidy up without putting so much into it or worrying. Thought about an mx5 or similar to "play with" but realistically I'd have the same lack of desire to go out. Decided to aim for something reasonably practical (for my purpose) and had a criteria list . £6k or less. Something at least a bit interesting. 5 door. Auto so Mel could jump in to use without a second thought. All wheel drive. Looked at cheaper s3's and Golf GTIs but when an r32 popped up in my search I realised that they were in budget and suited ALL my criteria. I actually looked into buying one before the STI 330s but it was a bit rough compared to the FR Leon I was trading in so walked away.

So I'd very few to pick from in NI and really only had 1 in mind till someone on here mentioned my wanted thread to their mate. So now I'd 2 to choose from. One was tidy but alot more expensive (way over budget actually) , the other was rough but better spec'd and cheaper.

I went with the cheaper one.

It's in need of a good clean inside and out. Needs 2 rusty wings sorted. Has a scrape up the passenger side and a parking ding. Wheels need refurb. And the heater fan isn't working
And you know what ? I don't care

Volkswagon Golf R32. July 2006. 79,000 miles. Full Vw service history . 3keys
Auto Xenon headlights . Full leather
Big Wing back seats. Heated front seats . Centre armrest . Electric folding heated mirrors. 4 Electric Windows. Electric sunroof. Integrated Satnav/entertainment system
Volkswagen 6disc CD changer .New genuine Volkswagen floor mats
6 speed DSG automatic. 18” alloys. Rear parking sensors.Rear privacy glass.
Pics tonight from picking it up. It's late and dark but I'll get better pics as i go.
20191114_221656.jpg
20191114_221004.jpg
20191114_220952.jpg
20191114_220507.jpg

Screen shots of sellers pics

Screenshot_20191114-104754_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20191114-104745_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20191114-104717_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20191114-104801_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20191114-104731_WhatsApp.jpg

Dave..

RMS Regular
Long story time. . . . . So Scooby went a week ago after me deciding that I no longer enjoyed driving it. A few various reasons , road conditions, other road users and just lack of desire to go out really. If I'm honest , since the piston failure my heart or head wasn't in it really. I had "the fear" even though it was rebuilt with stronger internals I just couldn't shake it. The car just felt above me or something. I had it sitting perfect (in my eyes) and driving perfect , but i just lost interest in taking it out.

Now I was excited to get something cheaper and rough so i could tinker with , and tidy up without putting so much into it or worrying. Thought about an mx5 or similar to "play with" but realistically I'd have the same lack of desire to go out. Decided to aim for something reasonably practical (for my purpose) and had a criteria list . £6k or less. Something at least a bit interesting. 5 door. Auto so Mel could jump in to use without a second thought. All wheel drive. Looked at cheaper s3's and Golf GTIs but when an r32 popped up in my search I realised that they were in budget and suited ALL my criteria. I actually looked into buying one before the STI 330s but it was a bit rough compared to the FR Leon I was trading in so walked away.

So I'd very few to pick from in NI and really only had 1 in mind till someone on here mentioned my wanted thread to their mate. So now I'd 2 to choose from. One was tidy but alot more expensive (way over budget actually) , the other was rough but better spec'd and cheaper.

I went with the cheaper one.

It's in need of a good clean inside and out. Needs 2 rusty wings sorted. Has a scrape up the passenger side and a parking ding. Wheels need refurb. And the heater fan isn't working
And you know what ? I don't care

Volkswagon Golf R32. July 2006. 79,000 miles. Full Vw service history . 3keys
Auto Xenon headlights . Full leather
Big Wing back seats. Heated front seats . Centre armrest . Electric folding heated mirrors. 4 Electric Windows. Electric sunroof. Integrated Satnav/entertainment system
Volkswagen 6disc CD changer .New genuine Volkswagen floor mats
6 speed DSG automatic. 18” alloys. Rear parking sensors.Rear privacy glass.
Pics tonight from picking it up. It's late and dark but I'll get better pics as i go.View attachment 256555View attachment 256556View attachment 256557View attachment 256558

Screen shots of sellers pics

View attachment 256560View attachment 256561View attachment 256563View attachment 256559View attachment 256562
Love it, looking forward to see how it turns out. HTD

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Nice one. Looks to be in good enough Nick to me going by the pics (y)I like the wing back seats, there the same Sort of seats that you see in Audi b6 Rs4s ? Ive been think about buying something along these lines to ( r32,s3, focus st,) look forward to seeing the updates on this G'luck with it (y)

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Got the rights seats anyways 😎

Comfortable with having a slower car than mel?
The seats feel similar to the 330s Recarro but harder.
I'm not bothered about her car being faster, it only gets driven fast when I'm driving it anyway :laughing:
It's weird, I get to drive this car like you would drive a hire car. Care free. Rarely would I get the chance to drive a car at speed anyhow, what with cyclists, learners, walkers in camo , speed cameras.
Class seats, and addictive noise. DSG is handy used an all.

Health to drive
I do like a car with a bit of sound. It's not quick but at least it sounds cool.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Love it. HTD.

And you're 100% about the roads and other road users. That's why I gave up motorcycling and I know quite a few who packed it in for the same reason.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Nice one. Looks to be in good enough Nick to me going by the pics (y)I like the wing back seats, there the same Sort of seats that you see in Audi b6 Rs4s ? Ive been think about buying something along these lines to ( r32,s3, focus st,) look forward to seeing the updates on this G'luck with it (y)
It's all cosmetic. Drivers wing paint has flaked at the top. Passenger is bubbling at the min but will eventually flake the same way. The scrape up the side won't polish out. I will give it a go of doing a quick sand and paint till the summer when it'll go to somewhere for a proper fix. The wheels are easy sorted.
Other than that it'll get a good detail when i get time.
The switches and handles inside are all worn for example, but I'll either pick up bits over time , or just forget about it.
The difference in money for the 2 cars I'd to choose from leaves me plenty to play with if i decide to fix everything.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Love it. HTD.

And you're 100% about the roads and other road users. That's why I gave up motorcycling and I know quite a few who packed it in for the same reason.
I'm not one for getting up early or going out late for a rake , but would have a blast if the opportunity arose while going about my day. The opportunity rarely occurs these days so it's really pointless having something really quick.
Another thing is dashcams, there's eyes on you everywhere. I could've been on a Facebook page a brave few times in the Scooby :neutral:

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It's all cosmetic. Drivers wing paint has flaked at the top. Passenger is bubbling at the min but will eventually flake the same way. The scrape up the side won't polish out. I will give it a go of doing a quick sand and paint till the summer when it'll go to somewhere for a proper fix. The wheels are easy sorted.
Other than that it'll get a good detail when i get time.
The switches and handles inside are all worn for example, but I'll either pick up bits over time , or just forget about it.
The difference in money for the 2 cars I'd to choose from leaves me plenty to play with if i decide to fix everything.
There all very fixable just wee niggley things, 79k & a vw service history 3 keys ect are all good signs that its been looked after well to an extent ( bar the wee niggley things ) but sure most cars ya buy are gona need the odd we silly things anyway

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
There all very fixable just wee niggley things, 79k & a vw service history 3 keys ect are all good signs that its been looked after well to an extent ( bar the wee niggley things ) but sure most cars ya buy are gona need the odd we silly things anyway
Yeah i rang the VW garage it's been serviced in and they confirmed the history, from day one in the same place.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Very nice, was considering one of these myself recently, they seem to tick a lot of boxes, the great thing about these is you don't have to push on to enjoy it, they sound great going slow too (y)

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Nice one getting one with wing backs. Can you send me a few details of the other one you were offered?

The wings will need the foam removed from the inside to stop the rusting.

I thought my fan wasnt working on my GTI. I turned the knob at the very top of the dash where the speaker is and the mystery was solved.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Looks like a good project. Love the black to!

Yea 2 new wings wont be that expensive really! Gearbox and all been serviced?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Sounds like you got a good one- fantastic spec with great history and mileage. Good work!
It came looking for me , it was a sign :laughing:
Very nice, was considering one of these myself recently, they seem to tick a lot of boxes, the great thing about these is you don't have to push on to enjoy it, they sound great going slow too (y)
I didn't realise the price of them.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Nice one Adam ,btw your wingbacks is £1500 + of the cost of your car if you ever decided to put standard seats In And make your car less expensive cost overall.not that you would of coarse like .

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Nice one Adam ,btw your wingbacks is £1500 + of the cost of your car if you ever decided to put standard seats In And make your car less expensive cost overall.not that you would of coarse like .
Aye they're definitely a bonus!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Can buy the wings prepainted and ready to fit online it's that common. Cheap too. Can't see black being a difficult colour to match either so might be the ticket.