Once common cars that you don't see anymore

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Saw a red Mazda 323F this morning, complete with pop headlights and white aftermarket wheels. Those and their non pop up successors used to be a pretty common site.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
They
Saw a red Mazda 323F this morning, complete with pop headlights and white aftermarket wheels. Those and their non pop up successors used to be a pretty common site.
were a cracking looking car, I actually preferred the later ones, haven't seen either in a long time!

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
1.8 16v was the dream. Young fella near me had an absolute minter, I mean showroom fresh, that was stolen and burnt out about 3 years ago. Welcome to Lurgan 😢

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Probably as good a place as any to post this.

FB_IMG_1610279470098.jpg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I dont think I've ever seen a UK FSO on the roads over here. I thought they were eastern European only

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
They weren't as common as Lada, Skoda and Yugo/Zastava but you did see them around until early 90s. I had a friend of a friend used to give us a lift in hers sometimes. Had to slam the doors shut, windows stuck, then get locked inside, but mechanically they went ok. FSO Polonez hatchback was more common.

Have to say, they certainly knew how to advertise a crap car; by comparing it to Maestro, lol.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Guy in Gilford has a Polonez. Would have seen it driven about Portadown from time to time. Don’t quote me on this but I think he owns Bleary service station and has a multitude of autosh*te like a Lada and Morris Ital etc.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I dont think I've ever seen a UK FSO on the roads over here. I thought they were eastern European only
Neighbour of mine had a yellow one from new when I was a kid, seemed really old at the time but think it was 1982 (Xoi) and he traded it in for a Favorite in 1989. I don't remember many others round.
There were a good few of the Polonez hatchback though.

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
Volvo 440 in a garden in Bangor
Seen that in dundonald a while back. Woman driving it

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Bit late to the party, I used to see Polonez around ni in the 80s and early 90s but they died out quickly.
However I'm on an FSO owners FB group, not because I want one, but because in the 90s FSO wanted to update the Caro which was a 5 door version of the Polonez by adding a modern engine. So they struck a deal with Rover to use the K-series with a different inlet plenum that points forward to suit a RWD installation.

Take one vvc k-series
View attachment 312843

Add a Polonez Caro inlet plenum
View attachment 312844

👍

Paul.

RMS Regular
Caught this 8series last Sunday heading to crawfordsburn. Alpina wheels and rear badging. Sounded like a v8 too. Amazing

View attachment 313507View attachment 313508
That’s got to be an 840 rather than an Alpina. Weirdly, Alpina doesn’t do their own roundel: a genuine car always has BMW roundels. There was a blue Alpina up on Copart not long ago.

It’s so rare to see any 8-Series and I think they’re stunning looking.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Wee 17yr old up the street from me has a tidy red one, seem new enough to me still, although it's at least 21years old, be like me having a 1975 car when I passed my test!

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
* SRI you mean.

My uncle had one exactly the same as that when the DOE advert came out....he got stopped all the time, so much so he sold it and bought an A4 instead :laughing:
I meant SRI too! Googled it and all to make sure I was right and typed GSI anyway lol

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Is that the advert he picks the girl friend up, jumps the hump back bridge and slides into a tree killing her. It's bugging me now and I can't find it.