Porsche 911 (964)

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
It’s been suggested but I havnt had the chance yet. Did you see the one by Ammo NYC, full resto mod, full bare metal paint, paintwork refinement, fine details, for track use 🤨
Ammo one is unreal

The paint work on that car is mind blowing well i thought so anyway

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Lovely project! Who did you end up sending it to for mechanics?

Mervyn Johnston Moneymore.

The car was dropped off in May last year & is only really getting seen to now as he had a few cars to get through first.

Brakes & wheel bearings done ✔️

63E7F386-E93E-40E4-9F64-44A916B5073C.jpeg

BA1C0F41-6F7B-45A4-A22F-338A84162BC0.jpeg

Electrics or lack of is down to a known vermin induced problem gnawing at the loom & more recently discovered corrosion in the fuse box itself.

Remember how the car was found with a bungee around the gear-lever in a bid to secure the passenger door closed (failed latch).
Well we couldn’t get the autobox out of drive. Stripping match & a bit of TLC had it freed up & pushed outside in neutral to test the engine again.

F29BFB0C-8164-4C53-BE2A-9ACA069A0742.jpeg

Something doesn’t sound right so all stop.

Part of the aluminium cast housing on the starter had sheared when turning over & had dropped into the gearbox housing.

B3642FF8-2826-44DF-A56F-23E242F29830.jpeg

We were going so well too 😞

The bit can’t be fished out so it’s a box-off job. Which means dropping the engine.
Im not annoyed as this is the best way to replace the spark plugs in them anyway. But the drive shaft bolts are seized, they’re cut & down she comes.
The starter motor pictured earlier was a struggle to get off and now the gearbox won’t come apart - the aluminium allen head cap bolts are bursting to rung themselves.

72E0470A-D186-418D-92F4-D5609924DF48.jpeg

F0343F33-98C1-4D97-BBF1-26C4C020B329.jpeg

To all the gluebags that stated when I first got the car that I was lucky or it just needed a good wash or a bit of a service, has it set in yet what it takes to leave a car like this right?

I knew it would cost me what the car was worth to get it to useable condition.

Distributors & alternator won’t come off without a fight. It’s securing bolts havnt seen a heat cycle in 11 years

8EB31B68-9713-4772-B729-B5A2E390395A.jpeg

So that’s where we’re at.

Option 1. Sell as project
Option 2. Put it all back together, push it into my garage & wait for a more disposable income to get it finished right.
Option 3. Go on the rip & everything will sort itself out.

Reluctant to run with #1 as people sense desperation with a project, demand 250+ photos then low-ball you anyway.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I wouldn’t dream of selling it! Just do bits and pieces when you can.

Agreed. I’m the only person in my family & extended family that’s into cars (except uncle Grahame who’s into Wolseleys & Hillmans the weirdo). None of them get it & don’t understand why I don’t just flog it on.

P.S seen a silver X5 passing by Castlerock the other day with ‘LYONS’ on the plate - Mrs Lyons I take it?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
#2, as long as you have somewhere dry to lay it up. Otherwise #1 and cut your losses as it would just get worse.

Would be a brilliant thing to finish off but you will be properly in at the deep end, way beyond what you would ever get back.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Option 3 sounds like the most craic otherwise it would be option 2.

I personally think you'd be mad to sell it. As mentioned by others, just do bits and pieces as and when you can.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Can you not put it in your own garage and take it apart and get bits and pieces restored and reassembled as the time/funding allows?

It might take you five years but who cares. You’ve a Ferrari to drive in the meantime!!

That was toyed with when I first got it, but I’ve no lift, not much patience, tool selection wouldn’t be extensive.
Basically what I’m trying to say in a diplomatic way is I’d rather just go offshore & have some other c**t fight with it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Agreed. I’m the only person in my family & extended family that’s into cars (except uncle Grahame who’s into Wolseleys & Hillmans the weirdo). None of them get it & don’t understand why I don’t just flog it on.

P.S seen a silver X5 passing by Castlerock the other day with ‘LYONS’ on the plate - Mrs Lyons I take it?

Afraid not!