Ballykelly Airfield Half Mile - Derry July 2nd 2022

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I'd be up for this once the Datsun is back RB-Z is back on the road. If only to see what it can do in the 1/2 mile as well as embarrass a lot more modern things. Would be interesting to see when aerodynamics become an issue. Its geared for 190 and can do 130 in a 1/4 so it could be fun.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
I can see the airfield from my house but I'm already booked for a mates stag, always the way.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Wonder how much Ballykelly is to rent for the day.

First event at it so more than likely expensive. Any event at St Angelos was around £80 (still waiting for my 2020 refund) and I think Bishopscourt was maybe around £65??

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wonder how much Ballykelly is to rent for the day.

Probably a lot cheaper than St Angelo which had massive costs.

But it's renting the venue, and covering insurance...both probably extremely high. And impossible to compare it to the likes of Crail etc who own the venue and have been established there for decades.

And I'm sure insurance for the likes of Rallysport...who again have history to help with costs etc would not be comparable to a first time/one off event of this nature which will be deemed higher risk.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Who owns Ballykelly now? Is it in private hands?

56oval

RMS Regular
To run Drag Day at Enniskillen cost 20k last time i did it. Yes it can be done cheaper. I sat down and went over the sums with someone today. If drag racing comes back do not be expecting a day out for £60 anymore.

Costs are brutal to do this stuff.

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
If you want to play, you got to pay. Granted its a significant entry fee but if you like this kind of event there hasn't been any here for the past 2 years so all the events missed / money saved it's a no brainer. Entered and paid.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Who is planning to go as a spectator? I'd definitely enter the Datsun as a driver, but not sure how it would be as a spectator? Can you see well enough to make it worthwhile?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Who is planning to go as a spectator? I'd definitely enter the Datsun as a driver, but not sure how it would be as a spectator? Can you see well enough to make it worthwhile?

Who knows how it will all be laid out. But it is a runway, and having people at the fast end...isn't always a good idea in terms of safety.

Hopefully the runway is in good order....the braking area looks like an old surface on google earth.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I am still undecided since Irish Drag Racing has an event now in September (entered) at less than half price of Runway

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Who knows how it will all be laid out. But it is a runway, and having people at the fast end...isn't always a good idea in terms of safety.
Yeah, they would have to have the spectator area all around the start area, which will limit views.

Hopefully the runway is in good order....the braking area looks like an old surface on google earth.
I hope its in decent shape, wouldn't fancy trying to brake from 160 ish on a bad surface. :worried:

I am still undecided since Irish Drag Racing has an event now in September (entered) at less than half price of Runway
A half mile?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
A half mile?

Quarter - half mile is great for the big CC super cars whereas my car is great for the QM

I did the half last year and crossed at around 155mph so don't see there being any change unless there is a huge tail wind lol

I still have just under 2 weeks to decide whether or not to go so will see.